Another £8K to Spend!!

Search this Thread

Old 29 September 2004, 10:58 PM
grandjambon
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Another £8K to Spend!!

Hello,

I am new to Scoobynet but have followed it for years since my friend bought an import 6 or so years ago. I am getting rid of my company car - typical beema nonesense with loads of tax implications etc etc. Want a bit of fun now - getting closed to 30!! I looked into a Cupra R but too expensive so I thought an £8K loan and a Scooby but I must admit, I don't know what to look for. I get the idea the cam belt should be changed at about 50-60K and it helps if there is a good alarm and tracker fitted but other than that I feel I am almost spoilt for choice. I suppose I would prefer a UK model with little mods that I can play with myself (when I free up the cash from company car tax!).

I just wanted to know if anyone would be kind enough to give me some advice. I have wanted one for years and want to make the right choice. Thanks for anyone that helps!
Old 30 September 2004, 10:04 AM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

Firstly check out insurance if its not through the company, UKs are cheaper than jap imports.

There is a lot of choice for 8k

You could go for a FSH uk model, or go for a bonkers import STI R/RA. There are lots of variants inbetween too

All depends on your circumstances to which is suited to you, you've come to a good place to carry out your research! Also try the SIDC site, especially the FAQ, which is geared towards the classics in your price range.
Old 30 September 2004, 11:06 AM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Buy a UK car with FSSH, Don't worry about too many mods for now, get use to the car first, It took me nearly a year to get mine, I got mine from Listers Subaru, and I love her to bits, BTW welcome to the nut house
Cheers
Colin

Last edited by Scoob99; 30 September 2004 at 11:17 AM.
Old 30 September 2004, 02:41 PM
wez_sti
Scooby Regular

Buy mine!

though depends what road you wanna go down, mine is the 'bonkers' type which has been mentioned, ie a Jap STi2 RA V-Ltd

280bhp / 0-60 4.8, sure you get the idea.

Looking for around £7750 but if a FSH UK is what your after then prob not for you!
Old 01 October 2004, 10:29 AM
grandjambon
Scooby Regular

Oh tempting. I was sort of gearing towards the boring FSH route as I don't want to end up wasting my hard earned cash (no offence) but the devil inside me wants a monster. Do you have any photos of the STi2? I am in Reading so I may also take a trip down to SGT and B&C this weekend but their stock lists look a little out of my price range.
Thanks for the replies - much appreciated...