Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do I need to check on an imported WRX ?

Search this Thread

Old 27 September 2004, 08:56 PM
lchris21
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do I need to check on an imported WRX ?

Hi All,

Will possibly be taking delivery of a 1995 WRX import this week.

The car has been registered and sva'd etc And I'll be the first UK owner.

What other things will I need to ensure has been done to the car ?

Any engine tweeks for emissions, Uk fuel, power/speed restrictions removed etc ?

How can I tell ?

I will be checking the chassis code to confirm its as described.

Any other misc bits and bobs, apart from condition of the car obviously, I need to check ?

Cheers
Old 27 September 2004, 09:01 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The car will only be mapped for japanese fuel, no matter what anyone says, you MUST run this car on super unleaded/optimax AND octane booster (jap fuel is 100 ron, ours is 98.6 max), i would also advise the fitting of a knocklink.
The car should have been MOT'd also, this will show that its road legal (the SVA also covers alot of these points) but id still check for smoking turbo, and any other knocking sounds from the engine that dont sound right.
Check the clutch has bite low down, and doesnt slip in higher gears.
Check the coolant for hydrocarbons (an oil like film on the top of the water) or any white deposits around the top of the oil cap.
Hope this helps

Tony
Old 27 September 2004, 09:02 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh speed removal, the car will be limited to 112mph/180kmh, you should be able to get this removed at a decent independent subaru speciallist

Tony
Old 27 September 2004, 09:58 PM
lchris21
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
The car will only be mapped for japanese fuel, no matter what anyone says, you MUST run this car on super unleaded/optimax AND octane booster (jap fuel is 100 ron, ours is 98.6 max), i would also advise the fitting of a knocklink.
The car should have been MOT'd also, this will show that its road legal (the SVA also covers alot of these points) but id still check for smoking turbo, and any other knocking sounds from the engine that dont sound right.
Check the clutch has bite low down, and doesnt slip in higher gears.
Check the coolant for hydrocarbons (an oil like film on the top of the water) or any white deposits around the top of the oil cap.
Hope this helps

Tony
Knocklink ????????????????

Waasssat ?
Old 27 September 2004, 10:07 PM
donutman
Scooby Regular

easiest way is to try this http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/search.php? and you will find loads of pics of them fitted and what they do.

cheers
Old 27 September 2004, 10:29 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Give BR Developments a call and ask about it - it's about £150 for the display module and sensor.

Basically it listens for pre-ignition (also known as 'det' or 'pinking') in the engine. For reasons which I've never really understood, this can quickly cause damage to pistons and bearings and leave you with a monster bill for a full engine rebuild. It happens if the octane rating of the fuel is too low, and the octane rating of all UK fuel is too low for an engine designed to run on Japanese fuel.

You may be able to get your engine mapped for UK fuel, which is by far the safest and easiest option (although possibly not the cheapest). A Knocklink is still a worthwhile device to fit as a precaution, though - I'm having one installed in my new JDM STI even though it's being remapped too.
Old 28 September 2004, 06:21 PM
lchris21
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AndyC_772
Give BR Developments a call and ask about it - it's about £150 for the display module and sensor.

Basically it listens for pre-ignition (also known as 'det' or 'pinking') in the engine. For reasons which I've never really understood, this can quickly cause damage to pistons and bearings and leave you with a monster bill for a full engine rebuild. It happens if the octane rating of the fuel is too low, and the octane rating of all UK fuel is too low for an engine designed to run on Japanese fuel.

You may be able to get your engine mapped for UK fuel, which is by far the safest and easiest option (although possibly not the cheapest). A Knocklink is still a worthwhile device to fit as a precaution, though - I'm having one installed in my new JDM STI even though it's being remapped too.
Will be driving Scoob about 50miles back home.

Its not going to self destruct on me before it reaches my garage is it?

Can they be DIY fitted. I'm pretty handy weilding the spanners. Just a bit concerned that it does'nt need any computer gismo to setup.

Trending Topics

Old 28 September 2004, 09:07 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Fill it with Optimax (or SUL at a pinch) and take it easy and you'll be fine. Plenty of people only ever do this and their engines survive, but it's not a good idea. Add a bottle of octane booster and you'll have no problems either way - it's quite OK to run an import on SUL+booster and that's what many (if not most) owners do.

The Knocklink is easy to install - just one sensor to bolt to the engine block, there's a few wires to run and a display unit to mount somewhere. I'm having mine fitted professionally because I'm a lazy b*stard and want someone who knows what they're doing to test it, that's all.