Sponsored by:

FQ260? I'd rather have a MYO5 WRX

Search this Thread

Old 25 September 2004, 07:11 PM
dietbruboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FQ260? I'd rather have a MYO5 WRX

Well, as I've been swithering on the side-lines for long enough I took the plunge and found a run-in FQ260 to test drive today. This one had just over 6,000 on the clock and had been nicely warmed up by the time I went out at lunchtime today. First impressions of the interior weren't too good, as this one's hard plastics were quite scuffed and scratched iand the gaping hole in the dash (where they'd removed the Kenwood to replace a faulty customer one) didn't help either. Looked nice in black though, subtle but still quite menacing - all those brand names looked the part too, brembo this and enkei that...

There wasn't much background throb, rumble, or anything like a tuneful sound from the front or back (I've got a Cooper S and it makes loads of nice noises - whiney and wooshy under the bonnet - pops and bangs from the back) but this just sounded metallic and enginey (I could never be a writer!). Anyhoo, after the dealer had boosted around the countryside for 10 mins we swapped over, cracking seats, you could really feel them grip - all the way up your shoulders. Pedals, small wheel and gearlever all fell nicely to hand - fantastic driving position all round. 'this has the softest suspension of all the current Evo's' the bloke said - softest in the hardest sense of the word methinks... I've got a 16 month old son and another due in February and I reckon that spring/damper set-up is borderline unacceptable - in a family comfort sense I mean. I've lived with the 17's on my S for nearly 2 years, and I can now see why the mags all get sent 16's on their demonstrator cars. I really wanted the ride to be just 'that' little bit more forgiveable, that little bit less slammed feeling, but alas it wasn't to be...

Really notchy gearchange - might have been my unfamiliarity with it more than anything though. Steering that you need to watch like a hawk, cough and you change lanes - corners for fun, but mmm... not relaxing. Foot down in any gear, slight pause as the car gets through the awkward formalities of the first 3,000 RPM then F*********CKME it all goes grin shaped. Hold onto the revs and it's just a question of which runs out first, your bottle or the road. Overtaking for idiots, anyone could do it. Once you're bombing about the super firmness and jarring don't seem so noticeable, and after 25 minutes we find ourselves arriving back at the dealership. 'there's some more twisty bits up that road there' the dealer offers - how could I refuse and off we went for another 20 minutes, idle, pootle and then when the road cleared a bit it was foot down and things go all starry like that lightspeed jump bit in Star Trek. Very addictive but tiring too. I think the Mrs would love the appearance (she thinks WRX scoop looks immature and the STI spoiler ludicrous) driving position, the steering and blistering acceleration - but not the ride, the lack of character or (lets be honest) poor interior.

Ok, so can now get a 'pre-registered' 54 plate 260 for around £19,995 (plus a bit if you fancy metallic - black looks nice) but you don't qualify for the 3 year free servicing. That's servicing at 4,500 intervals as well. Don't know the exact cost, but the bloke reckon £150 for the basic oil change one, maybe £250 for a medium rising to £450 when a bit of actual work needed doing - which it would probably need by the end of next week if those intervals are to be believed.

It's been a year since I drove a WRX and I'm keeping my fingers crossed the MY05 will only have improved on it. Firm but forgiving suspension (that my family can live with!), steering and handling on a par with the S but with punchier acceleration and brakes. Not asking to much is it?
Old 25 September 2004, 07:16 PM
S.B.
Scooby Regular

FQ260
A what
Old 25 September 2004, 07:20 PM
subaruwr1
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE= (she thinks WRX scoop looks immature and the STI spoiler ludicrous) [/QUOTE]

Bit offensive considering you are on a Subaru website!!!!!!!!
Old 25 September 2004, 07:21 PM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

she has point tho!
Old 25 September 2004, 08:13 PM
mightyyid
Scooby Regular

When I was looking to change the Porsche to something family orientated given the new (yesterday) arrival of kid number 1, I test drove the 260 and was not that impressed. It drove well but not that much different to a WRX and the interior was very ppor (not the the Scooby has a good one though) but of the too, the WRX was nicer. The biggest thing putting me off was the 4,500 mile service. Compared to Scooby's, the Porsche etc, it was shocking and doubling the outlay each year. Enough of that I said, back to the world of Subaru!
Old 25 September 2004, 08:16 PM
WRX_Rich
Scooby Regular

Hi, I had a cooper s, changed for a my02 wrx and this month went for a test drive in a 260

I found the STD scoob no fun compared to the cooper s, think my dad put it best,
“why did you swap your mini for a taxi
... spend 4k+ on mods and its a different animal

I ve gone beyond the point of no return now and spent silly money on mine probably well over 10k and I can't justify selling

I found the 260 slow and un interesting, but great driving position /brakes/grip but theres no way I would swap BUT

if i was starting again the evo was a better std car the later wrx's are only any good if you spend a little money on them i.e springs,ppp

but its all irrelevant really. only ugly people drive evos, which category do you fit

ow and I told the evo garage if they think they can sell me a car after a 30 minute test drive they had another thing coming

got offered the car for a day but as Im a good boy I told them I was not interested
Old 25 September 2004, 09:35 PM
dietbruboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mightyyid
When I was looking to change the Porsche to something family orientated given the new (yesterday) arrival of kid number 1, I test drove the 260 and was not that impressed. It drove well but not that much different to a WRX and the interior was very ppor (not the the Scooby has a good one though) but of the too, the WRX was nicer. The biggest thing putting me off was the 4,500 mile service. Compared to Scooby's, the Porsche etc, it was shocking and doubling the outlay each year. Enough of that I said, back to the world of Subaru!
We talked about it loads on the way home and if, and it's a big if, if the ride wasn't that bone jarring then we could probably leapt at it, only thing is - you've got the servicing to worry about too. Interesting, one thing I forgot was that the car was advertised as having full leather, the dealers demo car... only it didn't. Picked up their in-dealership stocklist and it said it there too, leather interior... only none to be found. I didn't think you were allowed to mis-advertise in that way. Have a look on auto trader. Seems sad to say but the fact that ISOFIX points are present in the rear of WRX's probably swung it! I mentioned it to the Mitsu dealer and he just looked at me oddly... then again, he was only about 23 and probably can't comprehend the remotest possibility of ever becoming a slipper wearing Dad. It does happen though - given enough time!

subaruwr1[QUOTE= (she thinks WRX scoop looks immature and the STI spoiler ludicrous) [/QUOTE]Bit offensive considering you are on a Subaru website!!!!!!!!

I was going to reply with something along the lines of 'sigh - another fanboy' but that WOULD be offensive. So I won't.

Trending Topics

Old 25 September 2004, 10:19 PM
WRX_Rich
Scooby Regular

"bone Jaring" and you have a coooper S... wow, my brother still has a cooper with the Plus pack and thats like a go cart the scoob and the evo are much better
Old 26 September 2004, 09:18 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

mates got a fq300

he took me out in that
i think the insides are nice, i didnt think the seats were as comfortable as my classic, his didnt even come with a stereo, suspension was a bit hard, and i did notiice that when your at speed you dont notice it as much, its the round town stuff where you notice it.

i would still consider one myself, dont like the engine note at all tho, sounds to much like a hoover IMO
Old 26 September 2004, 10:53 AM
drkuthan
Scooby Regular

I have a wrx but i do know that an fq 260 isn't even a match for stock sti
I mean fq 260 performs better than the sti
Old 26 September 2004, 02:27 PM
S.B.
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by drkuthan
I have a wrx but i do know that an fq 260 isn't even a match for stock sti
I mean fq 260 performs better than the sti
Whats an fq 260
There is no such car
Old 26 September 2004, 02:42 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

He means The Evo 8 260 and AFAIK a stock STi is a bit quicker off the mark.
Old 26 September 2004, 02:48 PM
hugo
Scooby Regular

yes there is.
Old 26 September 2004, 02:49 PM
S.B.
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hugo
yes there is.
There is not an FQ 260
Old 26 September 2004, 02:50 PM
hugo
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=subaruwr1]
Originally Posted by (she thinks WRX scoop looks immature and the STI spoiler ludicrous) [/QUOTE

Bit offensive considering you are on a Subaru website!!!!!!!!
Feeling a bit sensitive?
Old 26 September 2004, 03:09 PM
hugo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by S.B.
There is not an FQ 260
Well apparently you can buy one.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...D%26ie%3DUTF-8
Old 26 September 2004, 03:50 PM
Buzzer
Scooby Regular

I really like the Evo VIII series cars but i'm suprised at the comments on the driving position.

The thing that turned me off, behind the Servicing, every day driving and poor interior, was that i fealt i was sitting on the car and not in it. I thought the seats were way too high and i didn't feel part of it.

Just my opinion
Old 26 September 2004, 04:12 PM
drkuthan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by S.B.
There is not an FQ 260
Yes there's !!! Search and learn
Old 26 September 2004, 04:17 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Buzzer
I really like the Evo VIII series cars but i'm suprised at the comments on the driving position.

The thing that turned me off, behind the Servicing, every day driving and poor interior, was that i fealt i was sitting on the car and not in it. I thought the seats were way too high and i didn't feel part of it.

Just my opinion
The seats do sit higher than in the Impreza, there is no height adjustment either. I used to like sitting really low, but have got used to the higher seating position and now find it more natural.

I also found the Subaru seats uncomfortable, lack of lower back support. The Evo ones are better in that respect, but the cloth is nasty. The seats in my Evo are leather\alcantera, a must have IMO. It also lends a touch of class to the interior.
Old 26 September 2004, 04:58 PM
S.B.
Scooby Regular

Check the mitsubishi website and show me then.

Here
Old 26 September 2004, 05:08 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

The Evo 260 is not badged FQ as it technically isn't F*cking Quick

Only the 300+ versions are FQs
Old 26 September 2004, 05:25 PM
hugo
Scooby Regular

Evo names are so mahoosive who cares about 2 letters!
Old 26 September 2004, 05:41 PM
S.B.
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hugo
Evo names are so mahoosive who cares about 2 letters!
Don't be like that, just because you was wrong
Old 26 September 2004, 06:12 PM
Pittsey
Scooby Regular

Servicing every 4500 miles, I'll pass. Thought my scooby was expensive!!
Old 26 September 2004, 06:58 PM
Mal K
Scooby Regular

Free servicing on the 260 at the moment, worth about 3 grand. Driven one, loved it. Couldn't buy one though as I love the flat 4 burble too much.
Old 26 September 2004, 07:05 PM
chris's scooby
Scooby Regular

The Evo 8 gave me back ache after 20 minutes. No problem in the Scoob.
Old 26 September 2004, 08:45 PM
Buzzer
Scooby Regular

I've not had a problem in the Scoob.............................. and coming from someone who has had a few discs fused together, thats a compliment.

I've not driven in an Evo for long enough to give an opinion but i do agree that they do seem to wrap round you a bit better

Matt, perhaps you should give me your 300 for a day and let me make an informed judgement

Last edited by Buzzer; 26 September 2004 at 09:39 PM.
Old 26 September 2004, 08:47 PM
nellie
Scooby Regular

the 260 was brought out by mitsi to compete against the WRX,and its the first official UK EVO, and it turns out the car is closer to 280hp,its not a MR either,as it doesnt have Bilstein suspension and doesnt rev to 9000rpm like the MRs,doesnt have the aluminium roof like the MRs,different interior,bigger dials,different heater controlsand doesnt have the carbon fibre dashboard,still great cars though,change the exhaust and youv got 300hp,only 5sp,has 2 cats,and a rev limiter of 5500rpm in first gear...its NOT a FQ as it comes as is from the factory,in fact the FQ300MR is not a true FQ as its as the GSR used to be,the only true FQs are the MR320 and 340 ,as these cars have different exhaust,hardpipe intercooler,different air filter...

MR400 on order!!!!!
Old 26 September 2004, 08:52 PM
hugo
Scooby Regular

Christ, I'm exhausted by this thread. Thank **** I bought a Scooby!
Old 27 September 2004, 08:49 AM
dietbruboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nellie
... and it turns out the car is closer to 280hp
... interestingly the dealer I went out with said that the 260 was just a 'title' no more than that - on a rolling road he reckoned it would show 282bhp - which is what the come across with... allegedly.

Too hard for our family so we're sticking with an O5 WRX.

;-)

Quick Reply: FQ260? I'd rather have a MYO5 WRX