Sponsored by:

Insurance for £400

Search this Thread

Old 17 September 2004, 10:33 PM
sosobad.com
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Insurance for £400

I came across a young lad today of 19 who has a Subaru STi. I was surprised so i asked him how in the world he got insured. He mentioned that a friend of his could cover him for a producer £400 a pop, and after 2 producers you complain to the men in blue and they think twice about pulling you over again. Anyhow i said what if you hit it? he told me that if it was to get hit and it wasnt his fault, again he was covered. I find that amazing.
Old 17 September 2004, 10:38 PM
wrxmania
Scooby Regular

Sounds like wishful thinking.
Old 17 September 2004, 10:57 PM
slimtim
Scooby Regular

should have taken his reg and reported the little c*nt to the police. Its ****es like this that make everyones insurance so bloody much.
Old 17 September 2004, 10:59 PM
chris's scooby
Scooby Regular

*sniff sniff* do i smell cow dung? Oh no, i think it's just bull $h1t...
Old 17 September 2004, 11:06 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Methinks that he was

a) uninsured

b) uninsured

c) uninsured
Old 17 September 2004, 11:11 PM
sosobad.com
Scooby Regular

I'm serious, we do articles for the site and we generally recommend customers to various magazines to get published. So i thought id ask about insurance rather than performance as he said he was the policy holder, it goes without saying i duly retracted the article and refused to continue with the interview.

But i was thinking that if this is true how many others are out there uninsured. In some ways i think its the blame of the law society who screw over insurance companys who then have to put up the premiums for others as they know the score. I know of dodgy stuff but this was kinda astounding hence my posting on the BB.
Old 17 September 2004, 11:15 PM
chris's scooby
Scooby Regular

It is people like that who put peoples insurance up. Nice one for pulling the article although i think i'd have printed his number plate with the title, uninsured.

You could make it a regular feature, "shop an idiot and win a prize". It might get a few of them off the road!

Chris
Old 17 September 2004, 11:20 PM
sosobad.com
Scooby Regular

Hi Chris,

Didnt think of shopping him, i know im just another person who turns A BLIND EYE but i believe everybody has whats coming to them, bad or good so whatever happens to him im sure he deserves it.
I was thinking of encouraging people to shop uninsured drivers but i wouldnt want to incite trouble between enemies who thinks it fun to wind one another up.
I honestly found it amazing, i was driving the runabout Audi today when some fella hit into the back of me, imagine what i would have done is he said sorry mate not insured, i honestly think id have done a Hulk.
Old 17 September 2004, 11:22 PM
chris's scooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sosobad.com
Hi Chris,

Didnt think of shopping him, i know im just another person who turns A BLIND EYE but i believe everybody has whats coming to them, bad or good so whatever happens to him im sure he deserves it.
I was thinking of encouraging people to shop uninsured drivers but i wouldnt want to incite trouble between enemies who thinks it fun to wind one another up.
I honestly found it amazing, i was driving the runabout Audi today when some fella hit into the back of me, imagine what i would have done is he said sorry mate not insured, i honestly think id have done a Hulk.
I think most of us would mate. I think i'd make sure he didn't walk again, let alone drive.
Old 18 September 2004, 12:47 AM
Wonder Wagon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Puff The Magic Wagon!
Methinks that he was

a) uninsured

b) uninsured

c) uninsured
Can I have an A please Puff

Old 18 September 2004, 02:43 AM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I found my son(lived at home) was unisured, I imediately disabled the car, used his Credit card to buy new insurance. And told him next time I'd just ring the Police and Shop him and I would have done.

Tony
Old 18 September 2004, 09:13 AM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

In theory when the police do a reg check on his plate their database should tell him thats he's un-insured.

It's idiots like him that put our premiums up!!!!
Old 18 September 2004, 09:18 AM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

I don't really give a flying **** about him but I do pity the poor hapless child who he knocks over and spends the rest of his life a paraplegic, who had dip-$hee been insured would have a chance at a better life.

Or to put it another way, when he crashes into your new scoob, who is going to pay for the damage? You.

I also believe that uninsured people take less care so are more likely to have an accident anyway.

Old 18 September 2004, 09:45 AM
highlander68k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Moley_WRX
In theory when the police do a reg check on his plate their database should tell him thats he's un-insured.
Can they do that?

Are we talking about a person who is getting a backdated "proper" cover note from someone in an insurance company? Or are we talking about someone who is getting a dodgy cover note from someone who's stole an amount of blanks

Originally Posted by Moley_WRX
It's idiots like him that put our premiums up!!!!
Do you really think it is the uninsured person who makes our premiums go up? Have you seen the expensive buildings many of these companies work from? Surely, they could work from a warehouse in the middle of nowhere and save millions. They could then pass those savings onto us.
Old 18 September 2004, 10:15 AM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Norwich Union are based out in India now, but I dunno it that makes their prices cheaper though. A lot of other big companies are starting to go the same way.

I guess a dodgy covernote would be ok if he just had a simple producer, but I can't see any company paying up if he had any kind of claim.
I don't think he should believe everything his friend has told him.

Also....£400 is a lot to pay for just a covernote!!!!!
Old 18 September 2004, 10:50 AM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Do you really think it is the uninsured person who makes our premiums go up?
Er yes I do. Nowt to do with pretty buildings, its to do with the fact that each time a comprehensively insured driver is hit by an uninsured one, the insurance company has to pay PLUS each company has to pay a large amount per annum into the Motor Insurers Bureau in order to cover injury (mainly) to innocent 3rd parties that are hit by uninsured drivers. The more uninsured drivers on the roads hitting people and things, the more money the insurers have to pay out in either claims or to the MIB, so your insurance premium goes up to compensate those losses.
Old 18 September 2004, 11:05 AM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

ive been told this before, its apparantly true!

its cheaper to face a fine than pay insurance! bloody discusting!

jamo
Old 18 September 2004, 01:56 PM
sosobad.com
Scooby Regular

Hi guys,

Insurance is a bitch, i was looking into starting my own company that would provide cover for modified cars but its all so much hassle. There is so much red tape that the insurance companies have to put premiums up. If im totally honest i also see the point of view of those who cant get insured and drive about because if they could of course they would get insured and MiB cover accidents in regards to non-insured drivers. But i dont condone it in anyway but i do sympthise with the genuine car lovers who cant get insured.
Old 18 September 2004, 04:22 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

£400???

i can get hold of a certificate for about £30, tell the lad i will do them for £300

and no i dont use them, although i know people who do , ill stick with my £1200/year policy
Old 18 September 2004, 04:49 PM
highlander68k
Scooby Regular

Er yes I do. Nowt to do with pretty buildings, its to do with the fact that each time a comprehensively insured driver is hit by an uninsured one, the insurance company has to pay PLUS each company has to pay a large amount per annum into the Motor Insurers Bureau in order to cover injury (mainly) to innocent 3rd parties that are hit by uninsured drivers. The more uninsured drivers on the roads hitting people and things, the more money the insurers have to pay out in either claims or to the MIB, so your insurance premium goes up to compensate those losses.
I understand what you're saying PTMW.

You say that premiums rise to "compensate those losses" Are there losses? The underwriting companies always announce millions/billions in profits! Is it necessary for them to raise our premiums to ensure they keep these millions/billions of pounds profits? I know business is all about profit, but to this excess is pure greed IMO.

Just my point of view, nothing personal against anyone. And yes, I know it's going off topic a bit.
Old 18 September 2004, 04:52 PM
chris's scooby
Scooby Regular

The fine for driving without insurance should be something like £10000 or 6 months in jail and loss of the car.

People need harsh sentences to help focus their minds.
Old 18 September 2004, 05:09 PM
DarkStar66
Scooby Regular

Er yes I do. Nowt to do with pretty buildings, its to do with the fact that each time a comprehensively insured driver is hit by an uninsured one, the insurance company has to pay.
Do they? I didn't know that. I thought that if you were hit by an uninsured driver you'd have to pay for the repair yourself.

I wonder if it would be worth the savings in premiums to opt out of being covered for damage by an uninsured driver?

Marc
Old 18 September 2004, 05:12 PM
highlander68k
Scooby Regular

Anyone heard of the pay-per-mile scheme that Norwich Union are testing? Excellent idea for those who only take the car out at the weekend
Old 18 September 2004, 05:38 PM
Jiggerypokery
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by highlander68k
Anyone heard of the pay-per-mile scheme that Norwich Union are testing? Excellent idea for those who only take the car out at the weekend
...and would an insurance company introduce a scheme which would see their profits fall? Nope! Granny Smith who has has three accidents in the last five years but who has only covered 5000 miles in that time will be the one who saves money. The rest of us who enjoy driving will pay more.
Old 18 September 2004, 09:25 PM
sosobad.com
Scooby Regular

This pay per mile scheme is a load of bollocks, fine great excellent for weekend car but the scheme will be widespread which means your "visiting" "cruising" "family" car would have to compensate for the cheapness of your weekend car. The reason they are intoducing pay per mile is because they feel motorist are risking themsleves by driving so much so by reducing road time you cut out accident probablility and at the same time keep your profits.
Old 18 September 2004, 09:26 PM
sosobad.com
Scooby Regular

Default Pay per mile

This pay per mile scheme is a load of bollocks, fine great excellent for weekend car but the scheme will be widespread which means your "visiting" "cruising" "family" car would have to compensate for the cheapness of your weekend car. The reason they are intoducing pay per mile is because they feel motorist are risking themsleves by driving so much so by reducing road time you cut out accident probablility and at the same time keep your profits.
Old 19 September 2004, 01:18 PM
Mat Mc
Scooby Regular

Question

Why do people like him never seem to get their car stolen?
Old 19 September 2004, 04:59 PM
DreXeL
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sosobad.com
If im totally honest i also see the point of view of those who cant get insured and drive about because if they could of course they would get insured and MiB cover accidents in regards to non-insured drivers. But i dont condone it in anyway but i do sympthise with the genuine car lovers who cant get insured.
You 'see the point of view of those who cant get insured and drive about'??

Sorry but that's a crock of ****. If they can't afford the insurance, then they can't afford to have the car and they shouldn't be on the ******* road, genuine car lovers or not. Yes, insurance is stupidly expensive but that's no excuse to go out and drive with no insurance because they can't get insured
Old 19 September 2004, 05:01 PM
sosobad.com
Scooby Regular

Drexel relax, i said i see their point of view and felt sympathy but i do NOT condone it.
Old 19 September 2004, 05:05 PM
DreXeL
Scooby Regular

I just find it amazing you can have any sympathy for anyone who drives un-insured. Having sympathy for someone who can't have the car they want because they can't afford the insurance is fair enough, but surely the moment they go and drive the car anyway all sympathy for them should be lost??