Sponsored by:

Anyone else experience this?

Search this Thread

Old 17 September 2004, 08:27 PM
hugo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone else experience this?

Last weekend I took my motor (STi PPP) out for its second track experience (Knockhill SIDC day). Gave her a real spanking for 50 laps or so (approx 60 miles). She performed beyond expectations, but I did have a mate with me who it much more track experienced than me who made me push her more than I usually do. 2 points:

1. I was quite amazed at how much more can be extracted (Prodrive springs and front and rear strutbars have made a BIG difference).
2. The main point of this post is this. All week after the track day the car has been pulling much better with better throttle response and a quite remarkable eagerness.

Is this my imagination? I've noticed this before with this car and also with my previous WRX. Does a bit of swift action have this much of an effect on the ECU/map? I've also noticed that a period of sedate commuting calms her down, a state which is reversed by a session of B road fun. Comments please.
Old 17 September 2004, 09:34 PM
njkmr
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hugo
Last weekend I took my motor (STi PPP) out for its second track experience (Knockhill SIDC day). Gave her a real spanking for 50 laps or so (approx 60 miles). She performed beyond expectations, but I did have a mate with me who it much more track experienced than me who made me push her more than I usually do. 2 points:

1. I was quite amazed at how much more can be extracted (Prodrive springs and front and rear strutbars have made a BIG difference).
2. The main point of this post is this. All week after the track day the car has been pulling much better with better throttle response and a quite remarkable eagerness.

Is this my imagination? I've noticed this before with this car and also with my previous WRX. Does a bit of swift action have this much of an effect on the ECU/map? I've also noticed that a period of sedate commuting calms her down, a state which is reversed by a session of B road fun. Comments please.
Get in mine after the wife has been driving it for a couple of days and it feels lumpy and rough.Open it up a few times and it surely does feel like a lot smoother drive.I think they do need a good blast now and then.Well thats my excuse.!!!
Old 17 September 2004, 10:14 PM
scooby66
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by njkmr
Get in mine after the wife has been driving it for a couple of days and it feels lumpy and rough.Open it up a few times and it surely does feel like a lot smoother drive.I think they do need a good blast now and then.Well thats my excuse.!!!

Is that the wife or scoob lol ???
Old 17 September 2004, 11:54 PM
hugo
Scooby Regular

Old 18 September 2004, 01:46 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Some truth somewhere there.

The old trick with cars that wont pass their MOT's on emissions is to take them for a very hard blast.

More often than not (unless there is an underlying fault) they will pass.

And if you've ever owned a Jag V12 and used it around town, you will know what the only way to cure missfires is...Unfortunatley it invovles doing 120mph, but hey...if no one is looking
Old 18 September 2004, 09:09 AM
Andy-pay
Scooby Regular

apparently, the ECU 'learns' your driving style - drive like an old woman, the car learns this and adapts to suit.

give it a blast, and it adjusts.

I had an ECU reset recently (all those business motorway trips), and it felt like a different car again.

Im sure someone with more tech knowledge than me can explain better.

Andy.
Old 20 September 2004, 03:52 PM
hugo
Scooby Regular

Maybe they can. Lets see if they will!
Old 20 September 2004, 04:05 PM
MaDaSS
Scooby Regular

I was told that if you thrash your car for 15-20 miles, then the ECU will remember this driving and therefore this is set as the "short term" ECU map. If you carry on driving in the same style, all those ECU values are kept and hence, yes you will get more out of your car performace wise as the ECU is remembering this. Again, if you then drive normally for the next 20 miles, then the ECU will trim down the "short term" map, etc, etc.
Old 20 September 2004, 04:26 PM
p1doc
Scooby Regular

supposedly it takes 15-20 minutes foe ecu to adapt to your driving style after a reset so as the ecu is constantly adapting and checking it should adapt to a short sharp shock? of knockhill
martin
Old 20 September 2004, 04:40 PM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agree with the above with regard to better performance after a blast.
Unfortunatley mine spends more time in slow mode, but a blast down some fast A and B roads picks it up again, and it really does feel like a different car.