Sponsored by:

Airbag didn't deploy

Search this Thread

Old 20 July 2000, 12:33 AM
gareth
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Had a significant front-corner shunt in my MY99 yesterday and it has only just occurred to me that the driver's airbag didn't deploy.

Anybody had similar experience or aware of any issues with the airbag on MY99 car?
Old 20 July 2000, 12:53 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

I *believe* that airbags are designed to deploy only in head-on collisions, not front corner shunts. Someone will no doubt correct me if I'm taking rotund spherical hairies...
Old 20 July 2000, 01:07 PM
Moz
Scooby Regular

I had a Major rear end smash beginning of last year and the airbag did deploy!which I thought was not supposed to happen, I ended up with a right good slap in the face. The most frightening aspect of the whole incident was the airbag going off, the last thing you need whilst in the middle of an accident, also the engine kept running, I thought there was supposed to be some kind of safety cut out.
Old 20 July 2000, 01:08 PM
blubs
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Gareth,

Sorry to hear that. No injuries I hope?

Is the car a write off?

blubs
Old 20 July 2000, 03:26 PM
sonu
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

I had a front-side collision on my scoob and the airbag did'nt go off. Mind you, the Scoob did save my life!

Thanks

Sonu
Old 20 July 2000, 03:50 PM
drew
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

I also have had a similar incedent with a tree at 50 MPH. The airbag also did not inflate but like Sonu the car certaily saved my life. I walked away completely unhurt which is more that I can say for the car.
Old 20 July 2000, 04:37 PM
adrianl
Scooby Regular

Red face

Air bags are designed to deploy at certain times only, these are usualy speed and decelartion, if both of these aren't met then the air bag won't deploy. So you could hit a tree at 60mph but if the decelaration isn't fast enough then the airbag won't deploy (in this circumstance the tree would probably have lost!).

Adrian

Trending Topics

Old 20 July 2000, 05:17 PM
DavidRB
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Unless it's a piddling little sapling, trees NEVER lose!! Cars make little impression on large well-established trees, it's like hitting concrete that doesn't move.

You're right about the airbag though, it's not the speed that counts, it's the rate of deceleration. Assuming the airbag sensor wasn't faulty, then the crumple zone did its job and slowed the cabin gently enough not to make deployment necessary. They're fitted to stop you headbutting the steering wheel & dashboard, but they mainly exist because Americans consider wearing seatbelts a violation of their freedom of speech (you know, the right that got left out when they drafted the constitution the first time! ).

If you've ever seen some of the NCAP crash tests, you'll notice that airbags can sometimes do an excellent job of deflecting the dummy's head sideways, directly into the A-pillar.
Old 20 July 2000, 07:34 PM
Stuart Page
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Perhaps NCAP tests are not a good advertisment for airbags, particularly A pillar strikes! These are mainly due to car rotation by pitch and yaw due to the 64kph offset deformable barrier, not necessarily due to airbag design. However, it would indicate that the airbag perhaps was slightly hard, hence a roll off can occur.

Getting back on the subject of no-fire, airbags have to 'not deploy' in many cases to keep down insurance premiums, hence the thatcham approved tests carried out by all new UK vehicles. Note this is not at the occupants expense, just so that reasonable cost to cabin rebuilding on minor crashes justifies the insurance rating.

It would be interesting to hear from anyone involved in a frontal crash with airbag deployment, i would bet their injuries would be a lot worse without them.
Old 20 July 2000, 09:12 PM
Hos
Scooby Regular

A White Van ran into the back of me around a Month ago and made quite abit of damage to the rear of the car. I didn't think too much of it as I was happy with the car (only the rear bumperboot lid and Rear Skirts had to be replaced) The airbag did not deploy though! and I am very concerned about that... the car is brilliant though and I get it back tomorow night! Cannot wait!!!
Old 20 July 2000, 09:58 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
had an accident in a pug 306 gti a few years back, that was wlist i was turning right and was hit front/side, airbag deployed.
A few months back went into the back of some idiot who parked in the middle of the motorway on a long sweeping corner, wet conditions, 2am, must have hit him at 50+ mph, no airbag deployment, trust me it hurt!! but i was braking hard so missed sensors in front of car....!

Tony
Old 21 July 2000, 03:46 AM
scrappydoo
Scooby Regular

Tonyburns, I had a pug 306 a while back (I have another now). I too was turning right when an ambulance hit me front/side at 50+mph. My airbag deployed, deafened me in one ear for a week and due to the compressed gas burned my favourite jumper. The car was wreacked but it did one hell of a job protecting me thats why i have another. The air bag seemed to go off before the accident had even happened, well thats what it felt like anyway. Its scary when the thing is twice as loud as a gun bullet and inflates toward your head at a speed of 200mph.
Old 21 July 2000, 11:16 AM
Hos
Scooby Regular

Red face

Ambulance Drivers!!! Don't get me started.
They have to be more careful!! In Oxford anyway. I understand fully that in an emergency we should get out of the way no matter what? But should they have the right to drive on the wrong side of the road?
The situation- Accelerating down a single A road, just about to go over a hill, when i am faced with an ambulance on my side of the road overtaking another car on his. Dangerous driving! The ambulance driver couldn't have known i was coming over the hill in the opposite direction , and the correct thing to do would have been to allow the car on his side to pull in to the side and then pass.
I would have ignored it once, but around a week and a half ago while coming out of the city centre, I was faced with exactly the same situation where the ambulance travelled down the wrong side of the road over taking cars in the inside with cars coming in the opposite direction - i.e me. I didn't see him coming at me until the very last minute.. i was too concerned with the woman and the child on a bycicle who i was passing at the time.
On note of this- Maybe we should have driving tests every few years.. Do you not think it would keep people up to date with the times and allow safer drivers to be on the road? I know for a fact that there are people who work for a business i am involved in who shouldn't even be on the road! (Older drivers) Please be aware i am not saying younger drivers aren't worse, as i think they are- I got hit by an 18 year old white van driver last month... but experience and general knowledge of highway code is abit different?
Ian
Old 21 July 2000, 12:19 PM
gareth
Scooby Regular

blubs

Thanks for asking - no injuries to either party thank God. Scoob took a fair whack to offside front but easily sorted. Luckily I put on a set of the ex-P1 wheels and tyres last week so braking was awesome.

Gareth
Old 21 July 2000, 07:46 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

Hos,
I was hit by a white van also, with a young 20 year old driver, who unfortunatly was uninsured and disqualified...... git!!!

PS dont talk about paramedics, both my sister and brother-in-law are, dont want to get in trouble with them saying there driving is no good!!
Old 22 July 2000, 01:37 AM
Hos
Scooby Regular

Cool

LoL , sorry.. I apologise for my last post- I blame my nieghbours Old couple who keep parking in my space.
Ian
Old 22 July 2000, 01:40 AM
Hos
Scooby Regular

Wink

Maybe we should gang up on white van drivers... PS- The car looks fantastic- got it back earlier this evening