Which Jap Scoob ?

Search this Thread

Old 10 September 2004, 10:15 PM
lchris21
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Jap Scoob ?

Hi All,

First posting, so apologies if its been asked before.

A mate of a mate is currently scouring the auctions in Tokyo for a suitable Impreza to bung on the boat to Southampton.

Being a complete novice (but head filling up as we speak) on the Impreza marque. Which ones should he be looking out for ?

Obviously I want the best for the cash, and have already worked out I'm looking at a 6-9year old steed. Which one is best to go for ? Whcih one should I avoid ?

Which types are generally available ?

I know very little about the Jap spec models.

I'm not after anything to exotic as this'll be my first one.

More questions sure to follow.

Cheers
Old 10 September 2004, 10:17 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

The single most important thing is to get one that you'll actually be able to register when it comes back to the UK. Take a look at www.modelreports.com and make absolutely sure there's one available, or you'll end up with a very expensive, but very useless, way to fill up space in the garage.
Old 11 September 2004, 01:52 AM
gravelexpress
Scooby Regular

it is as ANDY C says a minefield bringing in anything in which is less than 10 years old. Even with the model report the car you import will have to be exact to the car upon which the model report was produced so beware of the modified examples.
Old 11 September 2004, 08:22 AM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Safest thing to do might be to contact a reputable importer in the UK and get them involved to check over a potential purchase and handle the SVA and registration side. I certainly wouldn't want to do it myself when there's a good chance the car will need modification (or the removal of modifications) to make it match the model report.

It may simply be worth your while looking through the ads on Scoobynet, Auto Trader, SIDC forum and so on, and picking a car that's already in the UK and registered. There are a lot of cars out there and sellers are having a hard time - so, your saving by importing a car yourself may not be worth the risk and hassle.
Old 11 September 2004, 11:44 AM
GC8
Scooby Regular

A 'Model Report' is only required for a vehicle which was manufactured after December 31st 1996 but to be safe Id go for a car registered before January 1st 1997. Model Reports are available form numerous sources other than modelreports.com; who frankly, are not impressive. For a car that is less than ten years old but registered before 010197 a MOT and an ESVA are required; this does not require a comparison report. The best days to buy will be Thursday and Saturday; dont expect a 'service history' as the service books are seldom used. Despite you saying that you dont want anything exotic; Id argue that all WRX's are; so Id suggest getting a pre '97 STI or STI Type RA. You will be surprised how small a premium they sell for over a standard WRX (if any) of a similar grade and year; if you dont like it, it'll be a lot easier to sell at the price you need, to get out of it. One last thing; Tokyo is the worst possible place to buy; way too dear.

Simon
Old 11 September 2004, 11:51 AM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Btw, Id expect to pay about ¥550,000 for a Grade 4 '96 STI (yes, thats about £2,800!)
Old 11 September 2004, 12:01 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Maybe we should compile a list of places where model reports are available, then. It seems a shame to discount every car registered from '97 onward just to be safe - a lot of very decent motors indeed have been produced since then!

The only other place I know of that rents them out is Amplified Performance; I know importers get their own reports done too, but wouldn't like to guess whether they're available for rent or whether they're only used by the companies that had them produced.
Old 11 September 2004, 12:08 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

I think that the Ministry can advise as to whether there is a report available as they hold them all. Im sure that I read this in an ESVA paper or on the Ministry's web site but I cant be certain. BIMTA have a list of mambers who will rent comparison reports too.

Simon
Old 11 September 2004, 03:37 PM
Foot_Tapper
Scooby Regular

I bought a dec '96 registered wrx saloon. (MY97 ) facelift variety.....280 ps
Nice motors IMHO...
Old 11 September 2004, 08:06 PM
lchris21
Scooby Regular

Mmmm........this is getting more complicated than I thought.

Model reports ? What exactly are they ?

SVA on import issues, what do they generally cover ? I've got some SVA experience from the kitcar world, so no real fears on that side

But hey, no pain no gain.

From what's been posted I'm better off looking at pre97 STI's......yeah ?

Basic differences between WRX and STI's ?

Will trawl around a little more methinks

Still, the savings are very tempting.

Cheers

PS FootTapper, was yours a Jap import ?
Old 11 September 2004, 11:34 PM
mo,s scoobymonster
Scooby Regular

the sva laws have changed dramatically now any car now even pre 97 has to be bog standard to pass the sva test, even an aftermarket exhaust will cause it to fail. there is quite a difference in a 97 car though as the 97 jap cars have the 280 ps engine from the factory and the earlier cars have 260 ps. i was lucky to get my 97 wrx through the sva in may this year through the sva under the disabled loophole but unfortunately this loophole is closed now. even this was in efffect my car would have failed straight away due to the adjustable coilover suspension and the lower strutbraces and the uprated limited slipp diffs on the front and rear,
your best bet is getting a car thats already registered here and someboidy has been through all the head ache of the sva etc. mine is up for sale at the moment it came into this country at the end of may
http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthrea...07#post3717807