Sponsored by:

Blue mica paint problems

Search this Thread

Old 09 July 2000, 12:49 AM
Kev
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
P Latham

I've got a 99 DBM car and I've already had "chips away" do the front-end after only 11k, not impressed at all, I could'nt press my dealer into any comment at all ... might be just a coincidence but since I've used WW Merlin Wax I've had a lot less chips to the bonnet and leading edges , not done in any scientific way etc but there has been a lot less chips ...

But the paint is very poor, my kids only have to brush up against the car as they get in and it marks the paint .... dreading the ferry to Holland in a couple of weeks ..

K
Old 09 July 2000, 10:25 AM
P Latham
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

I have a blue mica MY99 uk car which seems to have so many stone chips its really annoying. When my car was washed at a dealer with a brush it left the whole car covered with scratches (the garage has t-cut'd and polished it so it is cured) but the paint seems to be very soft and easy to mark. Has anybody come across this SOFT PAINT PROBLEM.Your comments gladly received. One last thing the garage has had no trouble with any other cars and their brush.

[This message has been edited by P Latham (edited 10-07-2000).]
Old 09 July 2000, 11:37 AM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Cool

A lot has been already said about DBM and its paint quality. Have a look in the archives by using the search facility. Heres one only done a few weeks ago :
Old 09 July 2000, 02:59 PM
James Neill
Scooby Senior

More than likely its the laquer that is soft rather than the something wrong with the paint. I recently had a bonnet resprayed and it kept chipping. Finally had it re-done (free of charge). At the time the paint guy said the laquer was too soft making it chip easily.
Old 10 July 2000, 12:02 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Smile

Hi

A couple of things regarding DBM finish. I think a lot of these problems stem from the widespread use of water based paints (IMHO, they don't last as well as the older oil based paints). The Subaru's are known for having 'thin' paint - but I've had stonechip problems with just about every car I've owned. When you consider that the Impreza is not the most aerodynamic car, it is bound to atract a few chips.

I have also noted the ease at which it will show 'swirl' marks.

If you're looking for a stonechip repairer, I found this website while trawling around a few car sites -
Old 10 July 2000, 01:04 PM
BarryK
Scooby Regular

Angry

Hmmmm, yes. I parked in my local's car park at an unusual angle and made contact with the dry stone wall. The plastic air dam got "grated" in a couple of places. I discovered that a child's black wax crayon is an excellent disguise. It worked on stone chips on the leading edge of the bonnet too. I first tried a dark blue crayon, but the white undercoat showed through.

And for any wags who read this, no I did not use the black wax crayon to put a beard and glasses on my face. Ha ha.
Old 10 July 2000, 09:29 PM
mcromie
Scooby Newbie

Smile

I seem to be in the minority. In a year's ownership and 10,000 miles of a MY99 DBM I've only had ONE stonechip ... had a new screen mind.

Mustn't be going quickly enough

Mike
Old 10 July 2000, 09:30 PM
mcromie
Scooby Newbie

Smile

I seem to be in the minority. In a year's ownership and 10,000 miles of a MY99 DBM I've only had ONE stonechip ... had a new screen mind.

Mustn't be going quickly enough

Mike
Old 10 July 2000, 09:59 PM
P Latham
Scooby Regular

Thanks for your comments please keep them coming I intend to make a case out of them. Especially as a dealer told me dmb was discontinued because it was to soft
Old 10 July 2000, 10:00 PM
P Latham
Scooby Regular

Wink

Thanks for your comments please keep them coming I intend to make a case out of them. Especially as a dealer told me dmb was discontinued because it was to soft
Old 10 July 2000, 10:13 PM
moz.g
Scooby Regular

I've had stone chip problems on both my scoobs but I agree with Kev things haven't been half as bad since it got the WW treatment.
While I'm on does anybody know of any good chip painters in the Wirral/Liverpool area beacuse some git reversed their sierra with tow-bar into my rear!

Graham

[This message has been edited by moz.g (edited 10-07-2000).]
Old 20 July 2000, 02:35 PM
Airmiles
Scooby Regular

Question

Is the DBM soft paint problem MY99 (Dark Blue Mica) or MY00 (Deep Blue Mica), or both?

I get my 5-door on Sat - guess what colour!

Miles
Old 20 July 2000, 03:31 PM
Rogerscoo
Scooby Regular

Mine is due in Sept - yes DEEP Blue Mica! It was a close choice between that or the Royal Silver Metallic which also looked good.

I hope I made the right decision...

[This message has been edited by Rogerscoo (edited 20-07-2000).]
Old 20 July 2000, 03:50 PM
jac
Scooby Regular

Talking

I too have a DEEP blue mica on order. I am hoping that since it is so similar in colour to last year's Dark Blue Mica and with the advent of the new Scoob, may only be around for a year, it must have been designed to address the softness issue. I have unfortunately heard stories of Deep being readily chipped as well, but that could go for most colours I suppose. Some say Reddish Blue is the hardest paint (despite having the softest name)

J.
Old 20 July 2000, 06:38 PM
COF139
Scooby Regular

My MY99 DBM Impreza has also had all the above mentioned problems. Scratches can appear as if by magic. I believe this was why DBM as originally withdrawn for MY98 and again after its re-introduction on MY99.
Old 20 July 2000, 08:54 PM
Allan
Scooby Regular

MY00 (Deep Blue Mica),
after reading the posts it would appear that my Deep Blue is no different to the Dark Blue as it too is very easily marked, picked up a stone chip after only 350 miles
However....have given it the WW treatment, the swirls are almost gone and it doesn't mark every time I look at it.
My advice is don't be put off, when the sun is shining and the light just reflecting right it looks sooo good,
Where's my keys,
Allan
Old 21 July 2000, 08:56 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Went to the local garage yesterday and the chief mechanic was looking at the car in the sunlight saying, "never noticed how lovely the DBM was before"... (WW advert over )

I spoke to WW about this problem, and the only real solution to stop stonechips is a protective film for the bonnet and other tender parts. Armourfend was recommended (http://www.armourfend.com) I got a quote from them of about 60 quid for the self fit kit. The idea appeals, but the self fit bit makes me nervous...