Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Differences between 01 WRX and STi?

Search this Thread

Old 03 September 2004, 10:02 PM
Carlos13
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Differences between 01 WRX and STi?

Hi all

Very new to this scooby lark, please bear with me.

Can anyone tell me what the differences are between a 01 WRX and an STi? I know the STi has 265bhp versus 215 but how is this achieved?

Did the STi of that vintage have uprated suspension or brakes?

Thanks in advance!

Carl.l
Old 03 September 2004, 10:38 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The STI is much more than just a subtly tweaked WRX. The extra power from the engine is largely due to a bigger turbo running more boost, but the whole engine has been strengthened, balanced and generally redesigned for greater loads and higher output. In fact although they're based on the same design, I don't think they actually have more than a few nuts and bolts in common.

The STI also has different suspension and brakes, the 6 speed gearbox, revised 4WD system inc. diffs, a better interior and the obvious external styling changes.

The '01 STI was never sold in the UK, so I presume you're referring to the MY02 car. This came in two versions, the standard car (which didn't look that different to the WRX from the outside) and the 'Prodrive Style' version which added a high rear wing and a WRC-style front bumper plus a slightly different instrument cluster.

The STI's brakes have always been the same Brembos and even the early cars had uprated suspension over the WRX - although I think it was further revised for '03.