Modding..........why bother?

Search this Thread

Old 31 August 2004, 11:07 PM
crush her
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Modding..........why bother?

As above really, what's the point?

Do people do it just to get their car to behave exactly how they would like, or is it to be more individual or is a quest for more and more power?

I used to think it was just young blokes who modded, but I see so many old bald bearded codgers in their WRX's, EVO's and Skylines with tinted windows, lowered cars with 19" wheels......... it's a bit tragic..............they should stick to crown green bowls.
Old 31 August 2004, 11:25 PM
Senior_AP
Scooby Regular

Modifying is an expensive way to lower your cars value.

Suspension is ok, it makes you go quicker, as does anti roll-bars, perhaps better air intakes. But making a car look ****e is stupid.

Just look at these *******.

http://www.hayezsquad.co.uk
Old 01 September 2004, 01:20 AM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Ive been looking for these fools for ages; since they were mocked in FHM. Nice work fella!
Old 01 September 2004, 01:45 AM
Big-G
Scooby Regular

Default What's wrong with old beardies?

Originally Posted by crush her
As above really, what's the point?

Do people do it just to get their car to behave exactly how they would like, or is it to be more individual or is a quest for more and more power?

I used to think it was just young blokes who modded, but I see so many old bald bearded codgers in their WRX's, EVO's and Skylines with tinted windows, lowered cars with 19" wheels......... it's a bit tragic..............they should stick to crown green bowls.
I am a 53 year old codger with a beard and a WRX (Jap spec) with a modded exhaust, why should I play crown green bowls? Am I not allowed a decent motor because of my age ?
I bought my WRX to enjoy the thrill of driving a decent motor and I also get a thrill out of thrashing younger drivers in their souped-up boom boxes.
Old 01 September 2004, 01:59 AM
Senior_AP
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Big-G
I am a 53 year old codger with a beard and a WRX (Jap spec) with a modded exhaust, why should I play crown green bowls? Am I not allowed a decent motor because of my age ?
I bought my WRX to enjoy the thrill of driving a decent motor and I also get a thrill out of thrashing younger drivers in their souped-up boom boxes.

I think he refers to mods that don't improve performance....?
Old 01 September 2004, 09:11 AM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

With any car there will be details of how it looks and performs that the owner isn't completely happy with. So why not change them?

I left my last scooby standard for a year or so, then gradually started to tweak things that had got on my nerves or which I felt could be improved. So, by the time I sold it, it had PPP, 17" wheels, clear indicators and PIAA lights. I agree that there are a lot of deeply unpleasant little shopping cars around with acres of ill-fitting plastic clipped to every extremity, but I'm sure their owners love them too. In a way we should be thankful - it's those people who will be voting against anti-car politicians along with the rest of us.
Old 01 September 2004, 09:17 AM
drumsterphil
Scooby Regular

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

If a person gets enjoyment/pleasure from modding their car then fair play to them - why should everybody's car look, sound, go like any other? If you're happy with your car as it rolled out of the factory then fine, but some people just want their car to be more individual.

Phil (very-modded RB5!)
Old 01 September 2004, 09:18 AM
automodellistagt
Scooby Regular

id ont understand all this predujice? yeah some of them are a'holes that blat around your city centre but the rest is making it individual, make it look better then standard in there opinion. Not everybody can afford scooby's, and not everyone can afford performance upgrades due to insurance. If people like modifications to their cars i say let them.

And regarding selling on prices, why bother? most of the cars are going to be worth bugger all by the time they come round to sell them, and even if they are, why worry about it? you could crash next week so wheres the resale value gone then? id prefer to enjoy the car while i had it and if that meant modding it then so be it.
Old 01 September 2004, 09:29 AM
Turbo Dave
Scooby Regular

God Damn it im 35 last month which means in neither codger or youngster what do i do! I dont want all the little boy racers laughing at me because ive got more hair on my face than them
Old 01 September 2004, 09:47 AM
Cold Turkey
Scooby Regular

Cool

Originally Posted by automodellistagt
id ont understand all this predujice? yeah some of them are a'holes that blat around your city centre but the rest is making it individual, make it look better then standard in there opinion. Not everybody can afford scooby's, and not everyone can afford performance upgrades due to insurance. If people like modifications to their cars i say let them.

And regarding selling on prices, why bother? most of the cars are going to be worth bugger all by the time they come round to sell them, and even if they are, why worry about it? you could crash next week so wheres the resale value gone then? id prefer to enjoy the car while i had it and if that meant modding it then so be it.
well said.

I've had more flashes, waves and 'nice car mate' from the modded bodykit car brigade than I have from scooby owners. They cherish their cars in the same way we do and can appreciate a nice motor when they see one.
Old 01 September 2004, 05:38 PM
Jools
Scooby Regular

Talking

LOL at senior AP's post. Excellent description of the link
Old 01 September 2004, 07:18 PM
Big C
Scooby Regular

Old 01 September 2004, 07:26 PM
Senior_AP
Scooby Regular

Suppose some mods are ok (visual mods) its just I see so many heaps it just looks awful.

Each to their own.

I'll stick to spending money to make my car quicker (...don't confuse with more bhp).
Old 01 September 2004, 08:41 PM
andypugh2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by drumsterphil
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!
You tell that to the women!!!!!

Originally Posted by drumsterphil
If a person gets enjoyment/pleasure from modding their car then fair play to them - why should everybody's car look, sound, go like any other? If you're happy with your car as it rolled out of the factory then fine, but some people just want their car to be more individual.

Phil (very-modded RB5!)
Erm phil, you forgot to mention you have a beard too old buddy

proof

Last edited by andypugh2000; 01 September 2004 at 08:57 PM.