Driving Improvements

Search this Thread

Old 29 August 2004, 09:07 PM
markwild
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Driving Improvements

Hi,

Having recently paid a visit to Rockingham, (My kids did an early drive day), I'm now re-fired up about doing a rally course (day / half day) -

I've seen a couple that use Imprezas, but I'm starting to think whether I'd prefer something relevant to road driving...

Has anyone any ideas on any courses (within a couple of hours drive from Stoke-on-Trent) that might be

a) entertaining
b) improve my 'Impreza driving'

I'd like something that would show me how the car reacts on the edge, but I'm not sure I'm overkeen to use my own car.....

Thanks,

Mark
Old 29 August 2004, 09:40 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Well if you want to do a rally type course, then you can try Bill Gwynne. If you want something a little more road focused, what about ProdriveLive? The circuit you were at - Rockingham have some good packages too....

Chris
Old 30 August 2004, 10:22 AM
markwild
Scooby Regular

Cheers - I've looked at Bill Gwynne's .... The prodrive day looks good, I'll try and get more info. (Anyone have any - like prices etc)

The Rockingham days are all BMW based now, so I'm not so keen, as I'd like something awd based.

Ta,

Mark
Old 30 August 2004, 11:35 AM
IanK Spec C
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by markwild
Cheers - I've looked at Bill Gwynne's .... The prodrive day looks good, I'll try and get more info. (Anyone have any - like prices etc)

The Rockingham days are all BMW based now, so I'm not so keen, as I'd like something awd based.

Ta,

Mark
Mark,

Why not do the IAM course? You're local group www.nsam.org.uk
has Impreza friendly observers too. PM me for more info if you wish. We may not be able to show you how to drive your Scooby on the edge, but we can make you a better and safer driver and hopefully make driving your Scooby more enjoyable.

Best regards,

Ian

Last edited by IanK Spec C; 30 August 2004 at 01:59 PM.
Old 30 August 2004, 04:22 PM
markwild
Scooby Regular

Ian, its something I'd consider - My objective isn't to drive my impreza near the edge on the road, I'm just aware that I don't drive it as well as it could be driven - so this kind of course could be the answer - Though I'd like to also have a go somewhere to see what its like at the limit - for the fun of that day, rather than on-road driving !

I'll take a look at the website - thanks,

Mark
Old 30 August 2004, 05:04 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Mark

I've done a few rally day courses and whilst they are great fun, the skills you learn are not transferable to every day driving. In fact, most rally days are biased towards having fun and therefore are essentially not skills training.

I recently went on a high performance driving course with Jon Cave from http://www.drivetrain.uk.com/about.htm. I'd recommend this highly, it has really taught me to drive quickly but within my own limits.

It is in your own car, but TBH I preferred that, as I know it inside and out etc. I think my driving and levels of concentration have improved, also a recent commute up teh motorway was actually fun rather than a dull drive.
Old 30 August 2004, 08:16 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by markwild

Ta,

Mark
Mark,
Prodrivelive is an excellent day 1/2 day in Land Rover 1/2day in Scoob. Bill Gwynnes Rally school both are about price £300-330 and you use their Cars

Owning an Impreza and requiring a driving course, you maybe better to do the Bill Gwynne day. Although Prodrivelive is absolutely excellent fun and good instructors, it is more about 'fullfilling a Dream' to drive a 'Rally Scoob'. IMHO

Reputably 2 off the best driving technicques courses are, but using your car, Don Palmer and 1stlotus(Andy Walsh) . Most peeps verdict, is Don is king

Tony
Old 30 August 2004, 08:19 PM
Subarussian
Scooby Regular

Prodrive Live -- beware that most of the driving activities are NOT done in a Scooby! However you can take your own car there and get a one-to-one instruction session on their tracks. I did it a year or so ago and it was brilliant!

For road driving I'd suggest on people like Jon Cave who teach in your own car on public roads based on the principles detailed in the book called Roadcraft.

For track driving and fun why don't you do a track day in your own car. You can start with an airfield day where you have loads of run off space in case you make a mistake or push too much. If you don't want to use your own car there are companies that would hire you a Scooby (I think one is called udrivecars or something like that).

Finally for professional racing tuition nothing bits the Silverstone racing school that has courses from 1 hour to 5 days and everything in between.

Hope this helps and gives some food for thought.
Old 31 August 2004, 09:14 AM
markwild
Scooby Regular

Thanks Chaps - I did do the Silverstone Peugot 109 (half day) a few (!) years ago - really enjoyed it -

I'll take a look around at some of the above,

thanks,

Mark
Old 31 August 2004, 02:04 PM
GaryCat
Scooby Regular

Try the www.1stlotus.co.uk driving day. Entertaining and safe way of getting the most of of your car.