Sponsored by:

Somewhat Impressed With Tracker Monitor

Search this Thread

Old 26 August 2004, 08:15 PM
Nixon
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Somewhat Impressed With Tracker Monitor

Had a little spare time on my hands before I left work this evening and I had the curiosity to try and find the recently fitted tracker monitor in my MY99 UK Turbo. To my great annoyance I found it in less than 5 minutes in a very obvious location and now I know where it is I could get to it and disable it within seconds!

Not pleased at this I started to investigate the wiring, somewhat bodge but none the less it had a remote 12v battery (wrapped up in insulating tape and wires soldered on either end) a 12v pickup from a constant feed and a single 12v connection onto the ignition barrel that came on when the key was inserted into the barrel.

To take it one stage further I disconnected the wire from the ignition barrel (i.e. so the tracker thinks the car isn't running when it is) and drive my usual 25 mile stint home near Poole in Dorset.

Much to my annoyance I drove all the way home (35 minutes) and no phone call..... get into the house and rings the phone with the tracker control centre on the other end confirming the tracker was transmitting!! decided to play dumb and acknowledge nothing so they put it down as a false activation.

All in all a good result but a little disappointing how easy it would be to disarm and if the car was 'hotwired' it would not activate... but hey it's better than a kick in the *****!
Old 26 August 2004, 10:41 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ahhh you got an old version then if you counted 3 wires in all, the newer ones only have the two and the moniter senses if the car has been started by the voltage difference as the alt kicks in. they are also just updating the tracker unit to a smaller unit but i haven't seen one of these yet which should make hiding it a bit easier also prob shoudn't say this but if you didn't put the wire you disconnected to earth it might not work as good as it should and there is also a slight time delay for thr moniter kick in if you started the car then disconnected the wire it might not work very well either.
and remember the would be theif would also need the keys to get pass the transponder chip so the tracker in that case would not work until you phoine them. it's mainly there to detect if the car has been loaded on to a truck or towed away then it wil kick in and alert tracker (or it should do)
when i done the course we were told to fit them in places where you would need tools to remove bits to get at it and also the wiring should look like the cars normal wiring so as not to make it stand out. it does annoy me when some fitters can't be bothered to follow the rules and as you found it so easily i would complain to tracker and get it refitted somewhere else

Last edited by scoobyboy; 26 August 2004 at 10:46 PM.
Old 26 August 2004, 10:54 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nixon,
You really ought to come to a local meet, the sept meet's at the Red Lion on the Wool rd near Winfrith Newburgh, why not come along??

Ron.