Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Using 2K Laquer - Advice please.

Search this Thread

Old 16 August 2004, 07:16 PM
Welloilbeefhooked
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Using 2K Laquer - Advice please.

Hello,

I'm looking for a bit of advice from those of you who use 2K paint.

I have painted various bits of my my98 classic to resolve some imperfections (Skirts, rear door, front/rear bumpers etc) with really good results from single pack acrylic. Now, I have no problem with achieving a good finish but I have issues with this type of paint.

1) Bugs mark the paint
2) It chips really easy
3) It dulls off and requires buffing far too often

So, I want to use 2k to stop the above from happening. So the basecoat will be the same? so I assume its only 2k laquer I need.

What do I need to buy?
What breathing equipment do I need?
Whats the laquering technique?

Any help would be great.

Cheers,

Wayne.
Old 16 August 2004, 07:57 PM
nickthehead
Scooby Regular

Hi mate, I do SMART repair for a living and use 1k paint all the time and used to use 1k lacquer but found it dulled like you said. I now use a lacquer which is still 1k but you get the lacquer and hardener which you mix 50/50 to give you a deeper shine like the 2k lacquer. It doesn't dry as quick as your normal 1k but once its dry and you have gave it a good polish you cant tell any difference from you normal paintwork. I have done my skirts, mirrors and door handles and they haven't fadded a bit. I'm off work this week and cant think of the name but if you go to a body shop supplier and explain i'm sure they will help you out.

Nick
Old 16 August 2004, 08:05 PM
WRX STI Type RA.
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Welloilbeefhooked
Hello,

I'm looking for a bit of advice from those of you who use 2K paint.

I have painted various bits of my my98 classic to resolve some imperfections (Skirts, rear door, front/rear bumpers etc) with really good results from single pack acrylic. Now, I have no problem with achieving a good finish but I have issues with this type of paint.

1) Bugs mark the paint
2) It chips really easy
3) It dulls off and requires buffing far too often

So, I want to use 2k to stop the above from happening. So the basecoat will be the same? so I assume its only 2k laquer I need.

What do I need to buy?
What breathing equipment do I need?
Whats the laquering technique?

Any help would be great.

Cheers,

Wayne.
WAYNE...I have used 2k paints for some time now,All i do ...is paint the base coat as normal....obviously clean gun thoroughly,Mix the 50/50 hardener with the lacqure ..And away you go....I always,Spray the clear lacqure on the basecoat within 10-15 mins ,So it will grab hold of the basecoat...(To prevent peeling)And stand well back to enjoy...Leave a couple of days..(Well i did)to propper harden..(unless you have a heat source)And hey presto...SHINE....
I have never had any problems so-far doing it this way..But please make shure you clean the gun out straight away after you have finished...And thoroughly..(Dismantling the gun and cleaning "Everything"..Becouse if it goes hard in the gun..You may as well throw the gun in the bin.....Good Luck...Kev.

Last edited by WRX STI Type RA.; 16 August 2004 at 08:47 PM. Reason: missed word
Old 16 August 2004, 09:52 PM
Welloilbeefhooked
Scooby Regular

Default Cheers!

Cheers for the advice!!

What about ventilation and breathing equipment if I go the 2k route?