Sponsored by:

USDM 05 STI

Search this Thread

Old 16 August 2004, 05:52 AM
Dan B
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default USDM 05 STI

Morning peeps. Its been a while since my last post, been outta the scooby world for a bit, but I'm looking to make a comeback.....

Anyhow...I am looking to get an 04/05 USDM STI. I am living out here for a while, and considering the relative cheapyness of cars in the US I thought I might cash in.

If I got one I would obviously be looking at keeping it into the forseeable future, and taking it where-ever my job may take me (back to blightly- Aus- who knows).

The concerns I am having about taking this car outside of the US (and I really dont give a monkies about driving a LH drive car on LH drive roads) start with fueling.... The Us market considers 93 RON "super". there is now V-power out here, but its supply is limited, and it only is 95 RON anyway (I think). I am presuming knock has an equivalent in the opposite dircection, i.e. if I started whacking 98 RON fuel into a 93 RON map there would be a problem. So I would need to get some kinda funky ECU to cope with different fuel maps etc....

My next concern is insurance. I am overly familiar with the problems of having an imported car in the UK especially, having owned JDM WRX's and JDM STI's in the UK before. Has anyone any experience with insuring a USDM STI? I would be interested in their experiences.

I hope this all makes sense to someone.... Happy monday morning
Old 16 August 2004, 09:17 AM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dan B
The Us market considers 93 RON "super". there is now V-power out here, but its supply is limited, and it only is 95 RON anyway (I think). I am presuming knock has an equivalent in the opposite dircection, i.e. if I started whacking 98 RON fuel into a 93 RON map there would be a problem. So I would need to get some kinda funky ECU to cope with different fuel maps etc....
My understanding is the the US fuel companies use a different method for octane calculation, so you can't really compare US and UK RON numbers.

Not sure what the equivalents are TBH, but it's worth delving a bit deeper....
Old 17 August 2004, 01:11 AM
Dan B
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Harry_Boy
My understanding is the the US fuel companies use a different method for octane calculation, so you can't really compare US and UK RON numbers.

Not sure what the equivalents are TBH, but it's worth delving a bit deeper....
Ah, good point harry, and Cheers

and bttt.