Sponsored by:

water spray

Search this Thread

Old 16 August 2004, 08:01 PM
arb
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default water spray

After having my WRX for over a year and it probably the best all round car Ive had(shopping,kids and performance)Ive now got a STi.

Daft question water spray?
whats this about ,looked in the manual and doesnt really help also it says fill with pure water what out of the tap or perrier?
I was unlucky enough to have picked a stone up in the front wheel between the caliper and rim and have now got a grove out of the inside rim of my wheel.
Has this happenend to anyone else?
Old 16 August 2004, 08:03 PM
scooby-tc
Scooby Regular

De ionised water should be used in ic waterspray not tapwater
Old 17 August 2004, 08:25 AM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

Why?

Does deionised means the same as distilled water that you used to buy for irons and batteries?

If so then presumably it's to avoid scale on the intercooler? If so then is this really a problem at the sort of temperatures we're talking about? If the intercooler was over 100 degC then I could see scale being a problem like it is in a kettle. But it isn't. Also many areas have soft tap water so have no scale problems, it's only some areas that have hard water where scale is a problem.

Mines full of tap water, moderately soft water area and no scale visible. But then I hardly ever use it. Last time was when we were marshalling on a particularly hot day and the caterers had run out of drinks. My fellow marshals lay on the engine with their heads on the intercooler and I gave them a good dousing. Think that's the only time it's been useful. Someone said a few years ago that the best way to use it was to keep using spraying until the water ran out then get a performance gain as the car's lighter....

Of course if you could control it automatically from intercooler temps and boost then it would be a different matter.