Sponsored by:

What can you do?

Search this Thread

Old 06 August 2004, 01:23 PM
DarkStar66
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry What can you do?

I've got the day off today and so decided to go to the supermarket this morning. I parked my car at the end of a row with plenty of room between me and the next car. When I got back there was a rusty old Golf parked very close to my car with a huge gap on the other side, enough to get a motorbike in! My suspicions were confirmed, there was a small dent in my door where the sod had opened his door against mine.

Now the dent is pretty small and I'm not that precious about my car, I think every car I've ever had ended up with at least one door dent. But this one was done so obviously on purpose that it really p!ssed me off!!

There was no point leaving him a note, he would just screw it up and drive away. So I opened my door with a great lack of care ( ) against his, three times! It looks like he's got a nasty chip in his paintwork now, shame!!! The thing is, with the state of his car he probably won't notice!

I know this is rather petty but why should he be able to bring grief into my life without any consequence? Some people should be removed from the gene-pool before they can reproduce don't you think?
Old 06 August 2004, 01:50 PM
steve_g
Scooby Regular

You should have deflated a couple of his tyres.

It's not criminal damage but it's a damned inconvenience.
Old 06 August 2004, 02:04 PM
DarkStar66
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by steve_g
You should have deflated a couple of his tyres.

It's not criminal damage but it's a damned inconvenience.
Now that's a good idea! But it was rather busy in the carpark and it takes a while to deflate a tyre. How about putting a sharp object under one of his tyres so it cannot be seen. When he drives off, pop! The only downside is not being there to witness it but it would give me a warm feeling inside anyway.
Old 06 August 2004, 02:18 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

The other downside is he doesn't initially notice the puncture and subsequently crashes the car killing himself and a number of other road users and pedestrians.
Old 06 August 2004, 02:46 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

And the puncture would be criminal damage. Mind you, when some **** did this to me a few years ago, he lost his door mirror for the trouble. He parked so close to mine that I had to enter through the passenger side and release the handbrake and roll the car out to get into the drivers side (car had a bulky transmission tunnel plus I was quite big so climbing over was not appealing). I now park in the Scooby section. The ones furthest away from the shop with the central white line, almost like a double space
Old 06 August 2004, 02:47 PM
brybusa
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dracoro
The other downside is he doesn't initially notice the puncture and subsequently crashes the car killing himself and a number of other road users and pedestrians.
such is the price for denting your pride and joy..........
Old 06 August 2004, 02:56 PM
blip
Scooby Regular

This type of thing drives me nuts too!! As mentioned by others I also tend to use the *cough* special double-width Subaru bays

Surely when you mashed your door into his rustbucket you did even more damage to your pride and joy?????!!

(apologies for calling you Shirley)
Old 06 August 2004, 02:59 PM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Location: Surviving as a soldier of fortune on the Los Angeles underground...

should have squeezed down the gap making sure your jeans metal rivets were in close contact with his paintwork.

Once had a woman in a car park blatantly pinch a parking spot i was about to enter - then laughed in my face as walked away to the shops. Would like to have seen her face when she got back and found I'd pinched the valves from her tyres, and thrown her windscreen wipers and aerial onto the railway line - and in a thunderstorm
Old 06 August 2004, 03:00 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

I often us the Parent & Child bays too. I don't see why just because you CHOOSE to breed that you should have any special treatment. The supermarket near me placed the P&C bays right outside the door and the disabled bays further away requiring the crossing of a lane
Old 06 August 2004, 03:01 PM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Location: Surviving as a soldier of fortune on the Los Angeles underground...

I often go the disabled bays and do the "drag your leg behind you" walk like Homer Simpson did. Another 4 weeks and I'll havbe a valid excuse for the parent & child bays too.
Old 06 August 2004, 03:36 PM
Jiggerypokery
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by corradoboy
I often us the Parent & Child bays too. I don't see why just because you CHOOSE to breed that you should have any special treatment.
NACRO, is that you?

I think people are so used to parking a foot from other cars (because of the greed of the car park designers, especially multi story) that they feel they have to park close, even if there are no other cars around. An example a few weeks ago, when parking in a LARGE FIELD when visiting a castle, I had no sooner parked and walked off, I looked behind to see a feckin' people carrier park right beside me and kiddies squeezing out of the massive doors which couldn't be opened fully. Some people just don't think like we do.
Old 06 August 2004, 03:43 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jiggerypokery
Some people just don't think like we do.
Some people just don't think
Old 06 August 2004, 03:46 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by blip
I also tend to use the special double-width Subaru bays

I use these too, very nice of supermarkets to provide them for us.
Old 06 August 2004, 03:56 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Good of them to place a line down the middle as well as the outside two so you can 'aim' in.
Old 06 August 2004, 04:05 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

lol
Old 06 August 2004, 04:26 PM
misty
Scooby Regular

I also use the mother and baby places!! But only when I've got the grandkids in!! I knew they'd come in handy for something.
dave
Old 06 August 2004, 04:51 PM
DaveW
Scooby Regular

I never use disabled or 'mother and baby' places, since they are used by people who 'generally' are not concentrating what their trolley is rolling into. Plus I've got two good legs so I don't mind a walk from a quieter area of the car park. I do use 2 places though and this seems to work quite well. It also helps if you avoid the busy times, like all of Saturday.

Maybe we need some sort of very big sticky label saying 'THE OWNER OF THIS VEHICLE IS AN INCONSIDERATE PRAT PLEASE AVOID AT ALL COSTS'. Might make them think if it takes them half an hour to remove from their windscreen before they can drive off

Dave.
Old 06 August 2004, 07:04 PM
webby sti v7
Scooby Regular

Red face now

Originally Posted by DaveW
I never use disabled or 'mother and baby' places, since they are used by people who 'generally' are not concentrating what their trolley is rolling into. Plus I've got two good legs so I don't mind a walk from a quieter area of the car park. I do use 2 places though and this seems to work quite well. It also helps if you avoid the busy times, like all of Saturday.

Maybe we need some sort of very big sticky label saying 'THE OWNER OF THIS VEHICLE IS AN INCONSIDERATE PRAT PLEASE AVOID AT ALL COSTS'. Might make them think if it takes them half an hour to remove from their windscreen before they can drive off

Dave.
now if you could get your hands on a life like blow up doll of jo brand i dont think anyone would park within 20 foot of you(can she sue me for that remark?) well you never know wots on flea bay
Old 06 August 2004, 07:17 PM
DarkStar66
Scooby Regular

To answer a couple of points;

The sharp object that would puncture the tyre would be big enough to make it go flat within a few seconds, so before the person got out of the car park. I wouldn't want to kill him... well maybe him but not any innocent bystanders.

I didn't bang my door so hard that it got damaged, that would be counter productive. Although I did have to rub off some of his paintwork from the very edge of my door.

I did have jeans on so the rivets against paintwork idea would have worked. I'm almost looking forward to the next inciDENT!!! On the other hand, no.

I didn't know of these special scooby spaces before, I thought they were just inconsiderate parkers. Knowing my luck I'll get some sod doing the same thing right next to me!

Last edited by DarkStar66; 06 August 2004 at 07:21 PM.
Old 07 August 2004, 04:38 PM
mrklaw
Scooby Regular

why do people seem to park near each other in car parks, when its the opposite on a train or bus - people sit in the most space until forced to sit next to someone?

Maybe half of it is just being near the 'good' shops.

Had to go to Staines today and happened upon the arts centre car park. Under cover (so no roasting car), and only a couple of minutes from two rivers, which is always jam packed. Nice!
Old 07 August 2004, 05:25 PM
Johnny WR1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mrklaw
why do people seem to park near each other in car parks
Pack mentality? If a car is going to get damaged/pinched, I stand more chance of it not being mine if it's not parked in a big gap all on its own?

A girl almost got mine a couple of evenings ago. I was walking up to my car as she got into hers next to me. Opened the door, got in (plenty of room), started fussing with her handbag and stuff she'd bought, door swings wide open. She finally noticed and caught it with only about an inch to go. All I could do was frown and shake my head. I know it wasn't intententional, but why didn't she close the door after getting in, or hook it open with her foot or something?

It's just a lack of awareness, I think.
Old 07 August 2004, 05:58 PM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

I hate to say it, but what if there had been another car before the golf that actually caused the damage. The golf driver might have been very careful opening their door
Old 07 August 2004, 06:40 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

I'm having the side protection strips fitted to my new car, but I had an idea to make them more effective: attach a strip of coarse grade emery paper along the length of both strips, so that any door whacking into them gets the paint taken off the edge. I figure people might start being more careful if it's their car that comes off worse.

Thoughts?
Old 07 August 2004, 07:36 PM
rob oneill
Scooby Regular

Smile

I think a banana up the exhaust would do the trick, no damage done, but dont think the car would start for a couple of days until its gone rotten and gets spat out!!
Buy an extra one next time you go to the supermarket just in case LOL
Old 07 August 2004, 07:41 PM
Scooby Newbie

I pulled up in a car park earlier with a space next to me and specifically chose it as no one can park the other side. I went to get a ticket and when I came back I saw a Subura Legacy parked very close to the passenger side of my car. WTF I thought the person who got out better have been very careful and quite thin, but when I have a look hes still sitting there. So I wait until he tries to get out as I want to see if he bangs my door, sure enough the F*CKING TW&T gets out and his door bangs against mine. I point this out to him and check for damage but it didnt mark. His response with out even looking at my car was "Oh its alright" now I am just about to lose it and the fact that he was in his 50s was the only reason I stopped going in to one at him.

I just stood there while he went and got a ticket and came back and he wouldn't look me in the eye once he wouldnt even look at me. PR!CK Now thats not as aggresive as it sounds, I wasn't staring at him as you see the kids in pubs do at people but more of a utter dis belief look.
I moved my car as soon as he left to a spot further away as the to55er no doubt would have properly banged my door on his return.

I just dont understand some people, they couldnt give two ***** about anyone elses cars. Luckily I was on my way to the gym so could vent my anger there, and here of course.

W$NKER hope his car gets seriously pranked SOON.

As for parking in disabled, a close family relative is actually disabled so I would appreciate if yall didn't in future.......
Old 07 August 2004, 07:45 PM
yoza
BANNED

Come on lads, all this, scratch his car, dent it back, puncture the tyres, blah, blah, blah.

Just do it properly, dont move the car and wait until he/she returns to their car, show them the damage, ask them to pay, simple as that.

If they say ' fookin ell mate its only a car ', knock them out......easy.
Old 07 August 2004, 07:51 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Actually I think I might start a business selling side protection strips with sandpaper on them. Any takers?
Old 07 August 2004, 09:50 PM
Jiggerypokery
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by AndyC_772
Actually I think I might start a business selling side protection strips with sandpaper on them. Any takers?
A bit wimpy? How about exploding armour, like some tanks have? Any takers?
Old 07 August 2004, 11:33 PM
BedHog
Scooby Regular

Tyres are good cos people with an old banger don't give a sh*t about bodywork - but 2 flat tyres (just carry wire cutters around and cut the valves off - bit noisy though lol) is a major inconvenience, and they probably don't have AA cover either