Hello!!

Search this Thread

Old 04 August 2004, 11:48 AM
Mosquito
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Hello!!

Hi guys, and gals!!

Due to a recent expansion in my family, our first child, i've been forced to sell my Golf R32 and buy a bigger more practical 'family' car.

So i did what every self-respecting petrol-head would do and bought an Impreza WRX Sti Uk Spec!!

I went to the garage to look at them to see whether there was enough space for us and the sales-man 'talked me' into taking one for a spin. Sweet baby Jesus!! - 30 mins later and with a grin like a demented chimp i arrived back at the garage and started talking pound notes!!

Just thought i'd say hello and see if any-one knows of anything specific i should be looking at before i pick my motor up hopefully at the end of the week.
It's a Dec '03 registerd WR Blue with approx. 8.5k on the clock by the way and i'm thinking about swapping the big wing for the WRX one.

Cheers!!

Chris.
Old 04 August 2004, 11:53 AM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Yes, Swap the silly wing, it's an idiot magnet! Enjoy it!
Old 04 August 2004, 12:03 PM
r32
Scooby Regular

I came to Scooby ownership via an R32 (most disappointing quality) get the PPP and it will be even better......
Old 04 August 2004, 12:10 PM
scooby L
Scooby Regular

Get the PPP mate.... you think it's quick now....

Also check if they have put new rubber on it....mine does 10k on the fronts!
Old 04 August 2004, 12:17 PM
sumo
Scooby Regular

Enjoy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04 August 2004, 12:19 PM
Mosquito
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scooby L
Get the PPP mate.... you think it's quick now....

Also check if they have put new rubber on it....mine does 10k on the fronts!
Thanks for hello's!!

I think the rubber seems ok, they're putting new boots on the front though.

The dealer has told me that they will do me the Potenza's for £110 per corner fitted which seemed very reasonable to me!!

Incidentally, how does the Scoob compare to the R32 for juice? I used to get about 270 miles out of £50's worth of Optimax - but that's driving Miss Daisey for the most of the tank!! - I think the car's telling me i've averaged 21.8 mpg for the life of the car so far.

The PPP is defo something that i'm going to do in the future but funds are a little bit tight at the mo. New baby and new house kind of see to that!!
Old 04 August 2004, 01:31 PM
mrklaw
Scooby Regular

its a surprisingly practical car isn't it! Takes a lot of steam out of the other half's arguing - doesn't stop her wanting a BM though

As for the wing, if you swap it might be worth looking a swapping boots, as you'll be left with holes in your boot lid otherwise.

There are usually a few people on here looking to go the other way (small to big), so I'd expect you'd find plenty of willing people to swap with a bit of cash too.
Old 04 August 2004, 01:43 PM
scooby L
Scooby Regular

£40 tank of Optimax lasts me between 210 and 250 miles mate, with 280+ if you are doing m-way miles (70 mph is still below boost)
Old 04 August 2004, 01:45 PM
GRIFF007
Scooby Regular

Cool

Originally Posted by Mosquito
Hi guys, and gals!!

Due to a recent expansion in my family, our first child, i've been forced to sell my Golf R32 and buy a bigger more practical 'family' car.

So i did what every self-respecting petrol-head would do and bought an Impreza WRX Sti Uk Spec!!

I went to the garage to look at them to see whether there was enough space for us and the sales-man 'talked me' into taking one for a spin. Sweet baby Jesus!! - 30 mins later and with a grin like a demented chimp i arrived back at the garage and started talking pound notes!!

Just thought i'd say hello and see if any-one knows of anything specific i should be looking at before i pick my motor up hopefully at the end of the week.
It's a Dec '03 registerd WR Blue with approx. 8.5k on the clock by the way and i'm thinking about swapping the big wing for the WRX one.

Cheers!!

Chris.
Just about run in + I reckon from what I have heard around 21 mpg on STi too

You just have to try the PPP conversion, so you can tell your misses what you want for Christmas............
Old 04 August 2004, 01:48 PM
GRIFF007
Scooby Regular

Cool

Thanks for hello's!!

I think the rubber seems ok, they're putting new boots on the front though.

The dealer has told me that they will do me the Potenza's for £110 per corner fitted which seemed very reasonable to me!!

Incidentally, how does the Scoob compare to the R32 for juice? I used to get about 270 miles out of £50's worth of Optimax - but that's driving Miss Daisey for the most of the tank!! - I think the car's telling me i've averaged 21.8 mpg for the life of the car so far.

The PPP is defo something that i'm going to do in the future but funds are a little bit tight at the mo. New baby and new house kind of see to that!!
how did you find the ride compared to V Dub? - can be improved with PPP 18" and springs later
Old 04 August 2004, 01:50 PM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

Hi,
To swap the wing I think you will need the whole bootlid, as mrklaw said you would end up with holes in the boot if you just swap the wing.

Try and swap the bootlid with a 03-04 WRblue wrx owner who wants a big wing- Dont forget to swap the locks over as well

Enjoy!

Dipster
Old 04 August 2004, 02:35 PM
Mosquito
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GRIFF007
how did you find the ride compared to V Dub? - can be improved with PPP 18" and springs later
The ride is actually less harsh than the Dub and that's a big selling point for the misses!! Even though it feels softer, the Sti can carry MUCH more speed round the twisties and is far more agile. Quite surprising seeing as there is very little weight difference between the two!!

The dealer has actually offered to swap bootlids with a WR Mica Blue WRX demonstrator that they are running at the mo for no charge so i think i might go down that route tbh! He's also offered to swap the gold alloys for an identical silver set which some-one had specially sprayed - so if it wasn't for the decals it would be a WRX sleeper!!

The fuel sounds like it's going to be about the same, providing i can drive below full boost! But damn i LOVE the Scooby burble under full chat!!
Old 04 August 2004, 02:47 PM
GRIFF007
Scooby Regular

The ride is actually less harsh than the Dub and that's a big selling point for the misses!! Even though it feels softer, the Sti can carry MUCH more speed round the twisties and is far more agile. Quite surprising seeing as there is very little weight difference between the two!!

The dealer has actually offered to swap bootlids with a WR Mica Blue WRX demonstrator that they are running at the mo for no charge so i think i might go down that route tbh! He's also offered to swap the gold alloys for an identical silver set which some-one had specially sprayed - so if it wasn't for the decals it would be a WRX sleeper!!

The fuel sounds like it's going to be about the same, providing i can drive below full boost! But damn i LOVE the Scooby burble under full chat!!
who is the dealer
Old 04 August 2004, 02:59 PM
Mosquito
Scooby Regular

who is the dealer
Holdcrofts Subaru in Newcastle.
Why, whatcha thinking?
Old 04 August 2004, 03:26 PM
GRIFF007
Scooby Regular

Holdcrofts Subaru in Newcastle.
Why, whatcha thinking?
Just that they seem a good bunch and if local (not!) might consider them when buying
Old 04 August 2004, 03:55 PM
Mosquito
Scooby Regular

Just that they seem a good bunch and if local (not!) might consider them when buying
I can honestly recommend them if any-one is anywhere near to the Stoke-on-Trent area!!

My previous experience of the Holdcrofts group has not been a particularly pleasant one but Paul in sales at the Newastle garage has been absolutely fantastic and Darren Holdcroft, if you're watching - whatever he's being paid, it's not enough!!!