Sponsored by:

Pitfall of owning a wagon....!

Search this Thread

Old 03 August 2004, 03:38 PM
penfold118
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Pitfall of owning a wagon....!

guys and girls, thanks for all the help with deciding on what type of Scooby to purchase ( got a few PM's and E mails with some really helpfull info )

I have decided on a Wagon, most probably an import, my question is apart from the obvious things i.e. bearings, clutch, straight panels what should i be looking out for...?

It is a 95 N plate Red wagon from a scooby netter standard apart from manual boost control 81.0000 miles had a major service and cam belts done in december £4500.

Any info really really apriciated

if your reading this Andy see you tom and hope we can sort a deal out
Old 03 August 2004, 03:54 PM
JDM
BANNED

I'd say try and get your hands on some kind of remapped ECU so you don't have to mess around with octane booster like I did for 2 years.
Problem is I think the JDM wagons had the smaller TD04 Turbo and the cheap scoobyecu map doesn't seem to be available for these cars.

I went from JDM Saloon to UK Turbo Wagon, had a scoobyecu put on it and other than the lack of aircon and folding wing mirrors the UK car is every bit as good. It also feels faster than the Jap car since the chip/zorst.
Old 03 August 2004, 05:59 PM
Kevin Groat
Scooby Regular

Owned 3 Subaru's over the last 10 yrs, latest being my STi v3 wagon (5 yrs, 50 k miles). Common problems are crap brake discs (all factory discs), expensive oe consumables (fit stainless exhaust as parts fail) and poor headlights (fit 100 watt bulbs). Personally I've had no problems at all (new Lambda at 50k but they all do that), I've run mine on NUL as I've no other option but would be using SUL if I could get it. Regularly sees the 7,500 redline and at a RWYB a couple of weeks ago I had a pretty close race with 460 bhp RS4 - was a couple of car lengths behind at the finish.

Plus points of the wagon - looks and capacity

Kevin.
Old 03 August 2004, 06:17 PM
penfold118
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks for that, the car has a stainless exhaust, only other mods is a manual boost thingy plus a alarm and tracker, just got a quote of tesco £978.31 happy with that... thought it would be nearer £1200
Old 03 August 2004, 06:48 PM
Stiff
Scooby Regular

I was getting similar quotes on my 96 WRX. Tescos quoted 800 and something but L+V pipped them with £713. Give them a try. Was suprised how many refused point blank to insure a JDM.
Old 03 August 2004, 11:26 PM
penfold118
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Stiff
I was getting similar quotes on my 96 WRX. Tescos quoted 800 and something but L+V pipped them with £713. Give them a try. Was suprised how many refused point blank to insure a JDM.
Yer after calling round a few insurance companies i was shocked how many informed me "sorry we dont have that car on our database" i havent tried L&V because i am 28 and dindnt think they insured under 30 on JDM...! is that correct...?
Old 04 August 2004, 12:05 AM
BedHog
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JDM
I'd say try and get your hands on some kind of remapped ECU so you don't have to mess around with octane booster like I did for 2 years.
If the car has lasted 9 years, it can't be that important can it?
Old 04 August 2004, 06:25 AM
JDM
BANNED

Depends whether you want to carry round a bootful of octane booster on a long trip or if your supplier mysteriously stops selling the stuff leaving you to run around like a headless chicken for a week until you can use your car again.

Oh and BTW the car was on it's second engine when I got it following the first guys maltreatment of it (only used Optimax no octane booster)
Old 04 August 2004, 07:05 PM
Benno
Scooby Regular

LV take under 30's I was 26 when i started with them, something unprecedented happened this year though, my insurance went down £100.
Old 04 August 2004, 09:52 PM
BedHog
Scooby Regular

L & V wouldn't insure my JDM because they couldn't match the car to one on there database.

An 02 JDM WRX Wagon

lol a really obscure car that, I think I was just unlucky and got a muppet
Old 04 August 2004, 11:43 PM
Bowders1
Scooby Regular

I have owned a 94WRX wagon for 6 months now.

Very pleased with it.

Fuel consumption is not good , but you dopn't expect it to be. I get 170 mls out of 30 quid.

use only shell optimax and octane booster. Just ordered a VOS chip from Australia, got fed up waiting for the scoobyecu to convert ECU to UK spec octane .

Few problems with car. Rear window wiper decided to go strange in first week. It kept working even though switch is off. ended up unplugging the power to the motor as don't get much time to fix it, and its summer.

Other problem is more recent. get bad hestitation after car is warm. Suspect lambda sensor, just ordered one.

Getting parts from main dealers is a joke as they don't support these imports.

Mind you probably get spares and part from the links on this website so should not be a problem.

other than that no problems.

cheers

Mark.
Old 04 August 2004, 11:47 PM
Bowders1
Scooby Regular

PS. forgot to mention that I have insurance with Carol Nash @ £470.00 fully comp.

Managed to get the car as a classic(10 years old now) made one hell of a difference.

Mark.
Old 05 August 2004, 04:27 PM
philc
Scooby Regular

got a 93 WRX wagon, - jap import and owned for the last 3 years; generally pleased with it.

Only thing I can add that I've learnt since buying it.

It has the smaller TD04 turbo;
needed the brakes upgrading;
needed the headlights upgrading;
the rake of the back window means it comes into contact with loads quite easily - hence a damaged / non-working heat rear window;
not as stiff in cornering as the saloon (can fit sway bars).

But it's very versatile for carrying loads (like if you have a lawnmower round to do ).

http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/phillipc/mower.jpg
Old 05 August 2004, 10:07 PM
quicksprint
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Bowders1
I have owned a 94WRX wagon for 6 months now.

Very pleased with it.

Fuel consumption is not good , but you dopn't expect it to be. I get 170 mls out of 30 quid.

use only shell optimax and octane booster. Just ordered a VOS chip from Australia, got fed up waiting for the scoobyecu to convert ECU to UK spec octane .

Few problems with car. Rear window wiper decided to go strange in first week. It kept working even though switch is off. ended up unplugging the power to the motor as don't get much time to fix it, and its summer.

Other problem is more recent. get bad hestitation after car is warm. Suspect lambda sensor, just ordered one.

Getting parts from main dealers is a joke as they don't support these imports.

Mind you probably get spares and part from the links on this website so should not be a problem.

other than that no problems.

cheers

Mark.
I take it yours is the silver one i see quite abit round Waterlooville way!!

steve
Old 05 August 2004, 10:16 PM
mista weava
Scooby Regular

i have a 93 wrx wagon - it has the td05.

i had a scooby ecu and it was great. i now run with a similar designed ecu to the scooby ecu that a friend has made. it uses the same technology and boards as scoobyecu, but he is near to me and we do the development work together.

i would investigate what type of turbo you have.

the best way to get a nice 290bhp+ is to go full decat Hayward and Scott, scoobyecu and. get a knocklink and a boost gauge and you will have a very nice quick car.

big up the wagons!
weava

ps: go for pagid 8 groove discs with pagid pads. get the goodridge braided hosing all round too - circa under 400 quid fitted the lot.
Old 05 August 2004, 10:43 PM
Bowders1
Scooby Regular

quick print Steve,

yep mine is the silver one with grey pro drive wheels, I live in Havant. I will look out for you . where abouts are you.

philc

I agree with your points you made brakes are crap. quite scarry coming down the motorway slip road too quick.

Like the picture of the mower, who is the person on the stilts trying to get in your car......

Mark.
Old 06 August 2004, 11:22 AM
philc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Bowders1

Like the picture of the mower, who is the person on the stilts trying to get in your car......

Mark.

Noooooo ! - them's the ramps to wheel the mower into the back of the subbie (cos of the high lip on the wagon, it was a real beggar trying to lift the mower, so I made the ramps; then the mower handle folds to fit in the back of the wagon)