Sponsored by:

Service/Warranty issue?

Search this Thread

Old 28 July 2004, 05:11 PM
Sonic_Danny
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Service/Warranty issue?

If i was to get a garage ie Scoobyclinic to service my car would it still be covered under manufacturers warranty?

I have always presumed not but have heard different recently!!?
Old 28 July 2004, 05:41 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

AFAIK, following the removal of the Block Exemption rule, you can have a vehicle serviced or repaired at anywhere which is VAT registered and has suitable expertise, experience or qualifications to undertake the work and they must use parts of OE quality or higher.

Scoobyclinic are fine.
Old 28 July 2004, 05:50 PM
stevey
Scooby Regular

i phoned the subaru warranty up to ask this a few months ago ( after the law had come out) and they told me it will not still be covered as they are an indipendante company and they can still specify whom services the car yet BMW will still cover you aslong as you use genuine parts and a qualified mechanic
Old 29 July 2004, 09:07 AM
speedking
Scooby Regular

AIUI year one is by SUK and comes under block exemption, but years 2 and 3 are additional warranty by IM, therefore they can set what conditions they like and you must comply with these to keep the warranty valid. If they say "must be serviced by a Subaru main dealer", then that's what needs to be done. Read the Terms and Conditions of the warranty.
Old 29 July 2004, 10:45 AM
comic cuts
Scooby Regular

Location: Holder of six fairy tokens, from the land of green ginger

corradoboy got it right. Make sure serviced according to schedule, and ask for a detailed invoice for the work in case needed for reference in future.
Old 29 July 2004, 12:42 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Cross refer to this thread
Old 29 July 2004, 02:54 PM
comic cuts
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by speedking
Cross refer to this thread
All manufacturers,including Subaru through IM, in conjunction with Office of Fair Trading and Society of Motor Manufacturer's and Traders, have all agreed to do as per Corradoboys post. This agreement is now in place.

CC
Old 29 July 2004, 03:32 PM
Dazza's-STi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by comic cuts
All manufacturers,including Subaru through IM, in conjunction with Office of Fair Trading and Society of Motor Manufacturer's and Traders, have all agreed to do as per Corradoboys post. This agreement is now in place.

CC
So what is the bottom line here!

Can I have my 30k service at a respected service outlet @ £200 cheaper than the dealer and not loose my warranty or do they have me by the Nadjars... to the tune of £200+ each time i take it for service... effectivly having me pay for the Warranty cover... Where is the info to say this s ok!

I'm sure this effects quite a few of our chums on here so it would be nice to know once and forall what the score is!

Other than that I'm taking it to the dealers and will be removing my trousers well before getting to the pay desk!
Old 29 July 2004, 03:50 PM
Cold Turkey
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Any legal experts on here who could clarify for us ?

Or maybe a 'group buy' to get a legal opinion ?
Old 29 July 2004, 04:20 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

What about Mitsubishi. The Evo is brought in by Colt Cars UK???
Old 29 July 2004, 04:29 PM
comic cuts
Scooby Regular

Default OFT press release

Servicing ties removed from new car warranties

OFT action gets greater choice for consumers over new car servicing

85/04 14 May 2004

All major makes of new car in the UK will in the future be sold without servicing ties as part of their warranties, following action by the OFT.

The remaining manufacturers whose new car warranties included servicing ties have all now lifted their servicing restrictions (see note 1). Consumers will now be able to choose freely where they have their new car serviced.

The move comes after an OFT study into new car warranties (see note 2) found that the 'dealer-based extended warranties' (see note 3) offered by many manufacturers included terms requiring that new cars be serviced at a garage belonging to the manufacturer's franchised dealer network, limiting consumers' ability to choose where to have their car serviced.

The OFT recommended that the industry lift these ties to improve consumer choice and aid the development of more effective competition in the car after-sales market.

John Vickers, OFT Chairman, said:

'The car industry's response to the OFT's recommendations to remove servicing restrictions is good news. Consumers should now benefit from increased choice and competition between franchised and independent garages.'

The lifting of the ties has avoided the possibility of formal action by the OFT under EC competition law (see note 4).
Old 29 July 2004, 04:54 PM
sillysi
Scooby Regular

If u read the OFT report carefully it says that all "Major" manufactures have lifted restrictions. Note 1 http://www.oft.gov.uk/News/Press+rel...5-04.htm#notes gives a list of these. No where is Subaru mentioned.
Old 29 July 2004, 04:58 PM
comic cuts
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sillysi
If u read the OFT report carefully it says that all "Major" manufactures have lifted restrictions. Note 1 http://www.oft.gov.uk/News/Press+rel...5-04.htm#notes gives a list of these. No where is Subaru mentioned.
Subaru presumably had already done so. The list in note 1 is just those who hadn't agreed at that time.

This is in place!

CC
Old 29 July 2004, 05:08 PM
sillysi
Scooby Regular

I spoke to IM recently and they said that from October 2003 (block exemption ruling) all new cars can be serviced at any VAT registered dealer in year 1. As years 2 & 3 are provided by IM and not Subaru you have to use a main dealer. I know people get different stories but this is what they told me.
Old 29 July 2004, 05:12 PM
comic cuts
Scooby Regular

I spoke to IM recently and they said that from October 2003 (block exemption ruling) all new cars can be serviced at any VAT registered dealer in year 1. As years 2 & 3 are provided by IM and not Subaru you have to use a main dealer. I know people get different stories but this is what they told me.
Hi Sillysi.....might be worth another call!
Old 29 July 2004, 05:13 PM
sillysi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by comic cuts
Hi Sillysi.....might be worth another call!
It was only three weeks ago

But I don't mind calling again tomorrow.

Last edited by sillysi; 29 July 2004 at 05:15 PM.
Old 29 July 2004, 05:20 PM
Sonic_Danny
Scooby Regular

Still very confused guy's!

Should i be paying Scoob dealer well over the odds to service my car or get Scoobyclinic etc to do it and probably do a better job on it?!

Just dont want to void my warranty
Old 29 July 2004, 05:24 PM
comic cuts
Scooby Regular

It was only three weeks ago

But I don't mind calling again tomorrow.
Ask for Steve in Customer relations.....he should get it right.
Old 29 July 2004, 05:26 PM
sillysi
Scooby Regular

Sonic, was ur car new after October 2003? I will ask IM tomorrow to clarify. Also PM me regarding servicing and keeping ur warranty intact, I have some info which will make you smile hopefully.

Si.
Old 29 July 2004, 05:40 PM
Dazza's-STi
Scooby Regular

Comic.. I was just about to paste the same bit of text into here... you beat me!

If Subaru insist on making year two and three dealer only then this to me would be in infringment of the ruling... simply becouse if you had opted to service at a local specialst in the first year then this in effect would still invalidate the warranty... I can t see this being the case... it would mean any manufacturuer could bypass the ruling making to worthless!

The OFT do know about this practice as described here!
Over 2.5 million new cars are sold in the UK every year. All new cars come with a manufacturer's warranty, generally running for one to three years, covering the premature failure of components due to manufacturing defects. Many manufacturers also offer, at no additional charge, 'dealer-based extended warranties' that take the total period of cover to three years. Under the terms of many of these extended warranties, and some manufacturers' warranties, the car must be serviced at a garage belonging to the manufacturer's franchised dealer network. About half of all new cars sold have warranties with such servicing restrictions.

The costs of after-sales service and repairs on average equate to about 40 per cent of the lifetime cost of a car. The total spend on car servicing and repair in the UK is around £10 billion a year, of which about £1.4 billion is spent on servicing cars up to three years' old. Franchised dealers carry out around 90 per cent of servicing of cars up to three years' old.

Can't quite get the info yet as to if they now can't tie you to this extended Bollox

Dazza

Last edited by Dazza's-STi; 29 July 2004 at 05:44 PM.
Old 30 July 2004, 12:27 PM
sillysi
Scooby Regular

Right chaps I have rung IM Technical Dept (0121 557 2112) and spoken to a chap called Phil. This is what he says regarding servicing and warranty, this was checked by his manager as well.

All new cars purchased now can be serviced at any VAT registered garage in the UK. To keep your warranty intact the garage has to use OEM Subaru or better parts, your service book must be stamped and an invoice kept in case of warranty claims. This is valid for the first three years of warranty. He did not know when this came in to play expect it was in 2004 so you would be advised to ring the above number to clarify your exact position regarding your age of car.

Extended warranties bought after the first three years include a clause that says you have to have the car serviced etc at a franchised Subaru dealership.

Older cars such as pre 2004 are still tied to the dealer network.

Hope this answers the questions everyone has.

He also said that Subaru are now offering free servicing on certain models due to the above changes to the rules. This is to try to keep customers at the franchised dealers.

Si.

Last edited by sillysi; 30 July 2004 at 12:31 PM.
Old 30 July 2004, 12:41 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Angry

Why should it be any different for pre '04 cars. Mine is an '03 (reg 52) and so technically the same car, from the same manufacturer and same warranty holder, and I'll be damned if just 'cos my car is 13 months older than someone elses identical model that I have to pay double for a poxy service that I could do myself, barring the ever so important rubber stamp.

They really know how to make you consider another marque don't they ?
Old 30 July 2004, 12:49 PM
sillysi
Scooby Regular

It's because they want to make as much money out of you for as long as possible. I presume they set a cut off date as late as possible for the new ruling.

Si.
Old 30 July 2004, 01:56 PM
Dazza's-STi
Scooby Regular

Right chaps I have rung IM Technical Dept (0121 557 2112) and spoken to a chap called Phil. This is what he says regarding servicing and warranty, this was checked by his manager as well.

All new cars purchased now can be serviced at any VAT registered garage in the UK. To keep your warranty intact the garage has to use OEM Subaru or better parts, your service book must be stamped and an invoice kept in case of warranty claims. This is valid for the first three years of warranty. He did not know when this came in to play expect it was in 2004 so you would be advised to ring the above number to clarify your exact position regarding your age of car.

Extended warranties bought after the first three years include a clause that says you have to have the car serviced etc at a franchised Subaru dealership.

Older cars such as pre 2004 are still tied to the dealer network.

Hope this answers the questions everyone has.

He also said that Subaru are now offering free servicing on certain models due to the above changes to the rules. This is to try to keep customers at the franchised dealers.

Si.
As far as I'm aware, the ruling covers warranties, and them tyingyou to a dealership, if the car is still under warranty then you are "under the ruling" entitled to take it anywhere! Thier is AFAIK know retrospective portion to the ruling saying only cars new from the date of the law... that would be stupid!

I'll try to find more out...

Dazza
Old 30 July 2004, 02:04 PM
comic cuts
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dazza's-STi
As far as I'm aware, the ruling covers warranties, and them tyingyou to a dealership, if the car is still under warranty then you are "under the ruling" entitled to take it anywhere! Thier is AFAIK know retrospective portion to the ruling saying only cars new from the date of the law... that would be stupid!

I'll try to find more out...

Dazza
Correct. Applies retrospectively.

CC
Old 30 July 2004, 02:13 PM
sillysi
Scooby Regular

They were clear that older cars under warranty were still tied to the dealer network.

Last edited by sillysi; 30 July 2004 at 02:15 PM.
Old 30 July 2004, 02:18 PM
Dazza's-STi
Scooby Regular

Ok just had a lengthy conversation with the OFT and this is the bottom line!

The ruling came into force on the 1st May 2004... and alomost all major manufacturers agreed to the ruling, if you got a new car before 1st may 2004, then its at the descretion of the dealer... the guy said dealer but i suspect he means IM in Subaru's case...

Thats it then... the bottom line is...

You can take your car anywhere And have it serviced... keep all reciepts and a note of the parts.
If you bought the car before 1st May 2004 then its at the descretion of the maker...

Now all that needs to be done is check with IM that they will allow the block exeption ruling to any in warranty vehicle...

To be honest... if they say NO and I have to remove my trousers to the tune of £200 more than I've been quoted for exactly the same service I personaly will NEVER buy another Subaru! simple...

I refuse to give money to an organisation that is blatantly taking the ****, and using every possible option to screw you...

So it may be the next 30k I spend on a new car will not be a Subaru!

Dazza
Old 30 July 2004, 02:23 PM
sillysi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dazza's-STi

Now all that needs to be done is check with IM that they will allow the block exeption ruling to any in warranty vehicle...
IM said no to me, so if your car is pre 1st May you have to have it serviced at a franchised dealer.

Daz, if you buy another new Scoob you can have it serviced wherever you like as it will be post 1st May
Old 30 July 2004, 02:27 PM
Dazza's-STi
Scooby Regular

IM said no to me, so if your car is pre 1st May you have to have it serviced at a franchised dealer.

Daz, if you buy another new Scoob you can have it serviced wherever you like as it will be post 1st May
Thats not the point!
Old 30 July 2004, 02:30 PM
Sonic_Danny
Scooby Regular

I dont believe that this law does not apply to pre May 2004 cars, do we have any legal experts in the house?????

Quick Reply: Service/Warranty issue?