Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

30k Service cost on STi UK dealer or other?

Search this Thread

Old 28 July 2004, 03:53 PM
Dazza's-STi
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 30k Service cost on STi UK dealer or other?

Help...

what would be the average service cost for a Type UK Sti for the 30k service... Been quoted £390 is this good or bad from the dealer...

next question is my Warranty ok if i decided to go to say Scooby clinic for the service...?

Cheers

Dazza
Old 28 July 2004, 04:18 PM
2002pete
Scooby Regular

Average Main Dealer service is £520 (30k) You have to use a Subaru Main Dealer or your Warranty will be invalid.

Pete.
Old 28 July 2004, 04:25 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 2002pete
Average Main Dealer service is £520 (30k) You have to use a Subaru Main Dealer or your Warranty will be invalid.

Pete.
Following the removal of the Block Exemption ruling, AFAIK you can have your car serviced by anyone who is suitably qualified and uses parts of OE quality or higher without affecting the warranty.

Dazza, give Scoobyclinic a ring.
Old 28 July 2004, 05:03 PM
Dazza's-STi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by corradoboy
Following the removal of the Block Exemption ruling, AFAIK you can have your car serviced by anyone who is suitably qualified and uses parts of OE quality or higher without affecting the warranty.

Dazza, give Scoobyclinic a ring.
I think yr Correct m8...

Any VAT registered garage can do the the service and not affect the warranty... just confirmed this with Scoobyclinic and thats what they said... Also just read a couple of articles on the web re block exepmtion and they appear to imply the same... never thought about doing it until a £400 service popped up... Its a bundle of $$$ for what is 4 plugs some oil and three filters... or and some coolant. Mmmmmm

Dazza
Old 28 July 2004, 05:09 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

If it saves you some more cash, I can get Silkolene Pro S 10W/50 for £27/5l.

CU thursday ????

I was hoping to have my new pads/lines/fluid in by then, but it looks like I'll be limping on my almost dead old pads so no fast stuff for me
Old 28 July 2004, 11:46 PM
robsta
Scooby Regular

Just be pepared for the extra's such as brake pads if you haven't done them already. STi pads all round are £480 from a main dealer.

robsta
Old 29 July 2004, 09:11 AM
speedking
Scooby Regular

AIUI year one is by SUK and comes under block exemption, but years 2 and 3 are additional warranty by IM, therefore they can set what conditions they like and you must comply with these to keep the warranty valid. If they say "must be serviced by a Subaru main dealer", then that's what needs to be done. Read the Terms and Conditions of the warranty.
Old 29 July 2004, 09:11 AM
Dazza's-STi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by robsta
Just be pepared for the extra's such as brake pads if you haven't done them already. STi pads all round are £480 from a main dealer.

robsta
I know m8... but thiers no way I go to the dealer for some pads... EBC Greens are only £90 for the fronts and ten mins of my time to fit... or £100 fitted.

Not that £90 is cheap for two brake pads
Old 29 July 2004, 09:18 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

My next service is the 30k service.

I feel a visit to ScoobyClinic coming on!
Old 29 July 2004, 09:20 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Cool

Dazza, I would consider moving up to EBC Reds (E388 new compound, don't get the old 2/3 compound) as the greens are no longer recommended for Scoobys (by EBC, amongst others). Check out Camsport and Camskill for prices

Last edited by corradoboy; 29 July 2004 at 09:23 AM.
Old 29 July 2004, 09:24 AM
tmo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by robsta

robsta
Oh my god, how or who dreams up prices like that they will soon realise when the likes of scooby clinic are taking large chunks of business away from them.
Gone are the days of new car dealer service only.
Old 29 July 2004, 09:25 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Speedking may have a point on this thread. I hope he's wrong though.
Old 29 July 2004, 09:34 AM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

Speedking may have a point on this thread. I hope he's wrong though.
Mmm.... Interesting point Dave.

You're right about the situation post block exemption lifting of course. But, as the 2nd and 3rd year warranties are IM specified and provided, my understanding is that they will be able to determine T&Cs themselves. This situation is wholly distinct from that governing manufacturers, such as the BMW example given above.

Incidentally, Monty's charged me £400 for a 30k service the other week. Not an STI though of course.....
Old 29 July 2004, 09:40 AM
Dazza's-STi
Scooby Regular

Angry

Originally Posted by speedking
AIUI year one is by SUK and comes under block exemption, but years 2 and 3 are additional warranty by IM, therefore they can set what conditions they like and you must comply with these to keep the warranty valid. If they say "must be serviced by a Subaru main dealer", then that's what needs to be done. Read the Terms and Conditions of the warranty.
Mmmmm you could be correct... Looks like the 30k service that was going to cost £200 is now going to cost £400 for the same thing... at the dealers... Just read the Service book and it does say...

"and that such services are performed ONLY by an officialy appointed SUBARU dealer"

Now I'm not happy... will have to check this out but thats what the law was changed for...! so it feels like I'm simply paying them for the warranty that i should have got free with the car... £200 this time; possibly £300-£400 over what i should be paying next time! So in effect I'm paying for an extended warranty...

Off to double check the block exemption ruling... fully...
Old 29 July 2004, 09:42 AM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dazza's-STi
Off to double check the block exemption ruling... fully...
My understanding Dazza mate is that this constitutes a very sneaky exception to the ruling. IMHO, et cetera, et cetera.....
Old 29 July 2004, 09:53 AM
Dazza's-STi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Harry_Boy
My understanding Dazza mate is that this constitutes a very sneaky exception to the ruling. IMHO, et cetera, et cetera.....
What that also means is you can't have the car service in the first year under the ruling becouse they would simply say at some point that the warranty was invalidated...

Thats just froking great... So it will now cost me double "£200" more than Scooby clinic, and this is simply to pay for a warranty that should be free with the car.... robbing B'stards...

So all in I bought a new car and then have to pay IM to warranty it... AAAGGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
Old 29 July 2004, 10:20 AM
Dazza's-STi
Scooby Regular

Dazza, I would consider moving up to EBC Reds (E388 new compound, don't get the old 2/3 compound) as the greens are no longer recommended for Scoobys (by EBC, amongst others). Check out Camsport and Camskill for prices
Can't find anything about E388 compound... Would the new Red Ceramic be that compound???

Anyway will be skint now after forking out $$$400 instead of $$$200
Old 29 July 2004, 10:36 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

The EBC Red Stuff Ceramic has been greatly improved in the form of the new E388 compound. I've just got some from JW Racing having specified the E388, and he had to order them in specially, so I would assume that many suppliers may have stocks of the old and quite poor 2/3 compound. If you order some and specify the E388 you can confirm by checking on the box where it is printed above the bar code, and also printed onto the reverse of the pad bottom left. Or you could play safe and get Ferodo DS2500 (dusty), Mintex 1155 (squealy) or Pagid RS4.2 (expensive).
Old 29 July 2004, 12:39 PM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dazza's-STi
What that also means is you can't have the car service in the first year under the ruling becouse they would simply say at some point that the warranty was invalidated...

Thats just froking great... So it will now cost me double "£200" more than Scooby clinic, and this is simply to pay for a warranty that should be free with the car.... robbing B'stards...

So all in I bought a new car and then have to pay IM to warranty it... AAAGGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
Yeah - but the dealer's coffee might be better mate.... Still robbery tho....
Old 29 July 2004, 10:55 PM
kev m
Scooby Regular

I had 30k service & 2nd year air con service on my STI7 3 weeks ago at my local dealer total cost £525. I changed my brake pads at 25k went for Ferodo DS 2500 as genuine subaru pads are to expensive, brought them from Scoobymania for about £135.