Sponsored by:

Gone but not forgotten

Search this Thread

Old 11 July 2000, 11:16 AM
Showtime
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

Can't believe I've done it but I have. I've sold my beloved Scoob.

After researching and saving for a year before I imported a belting example of a V2 STi, Just 7 short months of driving and it had to go.

Why ! you all cry in mock anguish.

1) Sheer bloody cost of fuel. 90 + miles a day round trip in a car that does around 17/19 mpg isn't funny. No point having the car if I have to drive it 'off boost' to squeeze a few more. Nearly a quid a litre is just a pi$$ take

2) Paranoia. Fear of leaving it anywhere in case of damage and theft.

3) Back ache. 2 trips to the midlands and back from sussex left me wishing I'd gone by train. Those seats

4) Insurance; nuff said

5) Servicing costs, £500 for a service and belt change..ouch

But hey, it wasn't all bad..anyone even thinking of getting one..do it..they are just the most fun you can buy and the feeling you get when heads turn everywhere...

So, for me anyway, until Mr Brown gets his act together that's that. Now where's the keys to my R6
Old 11 July 2000, 11:25 AM
Mike Rainbird
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

Phew, for a minute there, I thought you were getting all "pipe and slippers" on us. Then I read the last sentence... Probably won't mean a thing to the non-bike riding fraternity though (so for them, an R6 is the BEST 600cc bike currently on the market - lightest, fastest, best handling, best engine etc....).

Sorry to here about the car, but at least you have the bike still for "kicks"....
Best regards
Mike R
Old 11 July 2000, 11:29 AM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
Unhappy

It's very sad the way the fuel costs are killing the car enthusiasts. We are getting absolutely nothing from this extortion, public transport is toss and is not an alternative.

One of the reasons i sold my cossie and opted for a company car impreza sport was down to the cost of running it as an everyday motor.

I did what i think a lot of enthusiasts are starting to do. Get a more sensible (fuel cost wise) road car and another one to be used on occasion for fun.

The insurance on my 350BHP westfield for example including fully comp track cover is just £380 per year. You try insuring a scoob with that sort of performance (not that you can get a 480bhp/tonne scoob).

Why are we paying the highest fuel costs in the world??
Old 11 July 2000, 06:30 PM
Showtime
Scooby Regular

Wink

Mike, John..

No pipe and slippers thankyou, R6 is serious fun. Strangely whilst testing the car last week, the buyer gave it some welly up a dual carriageway, grinning profusely before suddenly pulling over while an R6 (could have been an R1) whistled past us like we'd hit neutral.

Scooby 0 R6 1

jeez did it go..

On the way back we did a few laps of a roundabout, gradually increasing speed until the car broke traction (and you know how hard that is), the ease in which the driver pulled it back was just superb. (no other cars nearby I should add, all quiet).

Boy I'm going to miss all that.

n'er mind...I'll get a version 7 or 8 in a couple of years time..
Old 12 July 2000, 05:53 PM
Nightmare
Scooby Regular

Mike...

R6 is great - but no longer the best
new CBR 600 has a better engine...

Night
Old 12 July 2000, 06:01 PM
Mike Rainbird
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nightmare,
Perhaps you should read last month's Performance Bikes which tested all the 600s. The R6 won (again) .....
Mike R

Old 12 July 2000, 06:10 PM
chuckster
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

I'm an old man, I sold my R6 and bought this years Kwaka ZX6R, more roomy and the engine is better I'd say, more flexible. Wins 'old man' reviews (Which Bike etc).
But I do 10k miles a year on it.
Chuck(Old Man, regrets selling R6 if honest)
Old 13 July 2000, 11:23 AM
Showtime
Scooby Regular

Talking

Night, Chuck..Mikes' right..I picked up my R6 the weekend the performance bike '600 shootout' came out. Was great reading too.

2 Friends with Bikes, one's a ZX6R, others a GSXR 1100. All great bikes, the 1100 straight line..no contest, the R6/ZX6 nothin in it for me, just rider ability (he's braver than me). The CBR..nah, didn't like it.

Anyone tell me how not to kill myself on those brand new tyres...slippery

how do I scuff them quickly and safely (only done about 50 miles so far)...bloody weekend weather)
Old 13 July 2000, 11:40 AM
spence
Scooby Regular

I used to have a race tunned GSXR1100N and it was sooo quick in a straight line, nothing to touch it... I could shirt it round the bends as well, could keep up with most people, but my mate on his FZR600 could always get up underneath me in the bends. And that was riding it James Whittam style as well, let it all hang out!!

Such alot of fun, I'd love another one but they are a bit old now and my ZX7 and Duke SPS would run rings round it... hee hee!!
Old 13 July 2000, 11:49 AM
Showtime
Scooby Regular

Bigger Boys have Bigger Toys

I'm only a little lad of 5'6" and would hang off a GSXR or R1 like a bit of washing caught on the back mudguard. The R6 feels big to me and scary enough thank you
Old 13 July 2000, 05:02 PM
Nightmare
Scooby Regular

oh well... I'm wrong again

love the R6 - more my size (weight maybe!) than the R1 (Im tall, but a bit thin!)

still like 'blades though - am easily led!