Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is it with people when they see a scooby?

Search this Thread

Old 23 July 2004, 09:44 PM
Stueyb
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry What is it with people when they see a scooby?

Is it me or do people just see red when they see you. Today it must have happened several times.

For instance, sitting at a quiet roundabout waiting to turn right and a shagged out old astra with twin 4" exhausts and NOS badges decides to nail it within an inch of its already dodgy engine (sounded truely donald ducked) because he saw me waiting to get on. Before that, he was pootling along.

Second a 318 at the lights starts reving the t1ts off it (sounded pathetic so i let him go, not worth the optimax !) Again I was just chatting to the mrs at the time, whilst waiting for the lights to change ? Even 1.1 fiestas cluckin try it on.

WHY when you are just driving along minding your own ? Why MUST they get out before the scoob, even making it potentially lethal situation in the process ?
Old 23 July 2004, 09:48 PM
chris's scooby
Scooby Regular

I know what u mean, we've just come back from a drive a had some sad twonk in a knackered Caviler sitting so close behind me for a mile or so i thought he was trying to sit on my back seat.
Old 23 July 2004, 09:49 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

They just satisfy their ego mate.It used to annoy me before but now I find it quite amusing when these non-performance cars try to show off to scoob!
I actually intentionally slow down to let them have a pleasure of leaving scoob behind.Bless them....
Old 23 July 2004, 09:50 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

>i thought he was trying to sit on my back seat.
LOL
Old 23 July 2004, 09:51 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

I had a carful of ***** in a Passat TDi try to show me how fast their car was, all grinning inanely at me. Oh, how I laughed when they vacated lane 3 and I dropped it into 3rd and floored it.

They passed me again as I exited the motorway (queue for the slip road). They wouldn't even look over, LOL.
Old 23 July 2004, 10:34 PM
Ray_li
Scooby Regular

all the time mate.
New mini today. I booted it at the light as it was in a 70mph zone (I like to boot it up to 70mph when i can. I know) Left the min standing but when he cam to speed he still had to over take me doing 90-100mph.
Driving through an Asian area every one one them want to race me.
B4 anyone starts I have alot of asian friends and im not a racist.

Ray
Old 23 July 2004, 11:09 PM
W 12 X T C
Scooby Regular

dont have anything worth considering racing "on a private track" round my way. all i seem to get is nova's and corsa's. what i do is slow a little on an empty open road then when they come along side floor it and head for the nearest mcdonalds(thats where they live). they get a right pisstaking by there mates when they see you alredy eating your burger when they arrive.

there is also a bloke where i work he has a mondao . it has a full body kit . 2" twin exhaust pipes comming through the bumper. (looks like machine guns but crap) neons under car and around the wing mirrors. and the best bit. he has an impreza scoop on it!!!!!!

when i got my new car my03sti and took it in one day. he said i don't really like the look of it. WTF!!!
these people need BEATS!!!!

Last edited by W 12 X T C; 24 July 2004 at 09:28 AM.
Old 23 July 2004, 11:18 PM
NelsonUK
Scooby Regular

I don't seem to have any of those sort of probs guys I just get the Chavs types hanging out of their cars looking at the Scoob whilst sat at the lights

Must be the Southern types are more chilled
Old 23 July 2004, 11:35 PM
BedHog
Scooby Regular

I just sit by them at the lights, smile across and rev my engine - then when they change pull off slowly.

I'm sure most realise they haven't got a chance and just want to see how quick you take off - agreed not worth the optimax.

Another good one is drive to the speedlimit but don't slow down for corners lol

I actually did that recently with a cop car - stuck on 40 (Road Angel reading), every corner I came to I kept at 40 and the cop fell way behind but caught up easily on the straights (obviously exceeding the speed limit!) Good fun
Old 24 July 2004, 01:27 AM
MGJohn
Scooby Regular

You don't have to have a Subaru to experience that. One of my old cars has the OE manufacturer's logo and words Turbo on the lower half of both front doors.... when some drivers see that they often start rolling and itching for the green and off..... and THAT applies to some Subaru drivers too!!! I never move a muscle. In most instances, when I'm so inclined, the old girl shows them all a clean pair of rear tyres ..... helps to clear the tubes ... apparently...

Sometimes at the next lights, they pull alongside and enquire something like "What you done to your Motor?". I usually and truthfully reply .... Nothing, it's bog standard ... which is true.

Recently I was in for a rare treat. Pulled up in 'pole' position in a three lane line up at the lights. Both the other lanes had drivers itching for the off and ever so slightly rolling forward, obviously in gear despite at least a ninety second red-green traffic light cycle. Never moved an inch - just biding my time - confident that my nineteen year old vehicle will give a good account of itself. Then guess what pulls up alongside my open driver's window....... An MV Agusta motor cycle .... rare beast or what ...in Gloucester of all places....... I shouted to the Biker something and he raised his visor and we got chatting whilst waiting for the green .... bike was for sale apparently..... a mere eight grand!...... Lights due to change so visor down as I asked, lets hear that MV's motor rev.... biker duly obliged ...... what a gorgeous sound! Took off like a scared wossname ..... and yes, the old gel showed a clean pair of rear wheels to the over-rated and over-priced modern tin ..... as she usually does....

Oh well ... helps to pass the time....
Old 24 July 2004, 08:57 AM
Redkop
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MGJohn
You don't have to have a Subaru to experience that
That is so true - lol. Try having an Esc Cos, the world and his wife want to take you on and I am sorry to say, it's Scoob drivers that are the main ones that try it on. Have even had ones going in the opposite direction, turn round....
Old 24 July 2004, 09:10 AM
supertouring
Scooby Regular

Had a VW Polo giving it some after comming upto a roundabout. It was dual carriageway so I floored it anyway leaving them standing. Looked in the mirror and found it was a nice young blond girl laughing to herself, so I slowed for the next roundabout and she came alongside and we shared a smile.

So it is not always bad
Old 24 July 2004, 09:27 AM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Always the same in any performance car tho' isn't it? Or at least one with a reputation.

I get 'em sometimes (Calibra Turbo) but I'm worlds worst for launches at the traffic light grand prix (plus I hate burning out clutches), but usually it's some Rep-mobile ******** trying it on when on the A50 going home - I just drop two cogs and leave 'em if I can be bothered, or just pull over and smile as they go by.

We know our cars are fast, why prove it?

(mind you I did have a GREAT race against a Scooby on the A6 spur coming off the A50 into Derby - I got eaten ALIVE by the bloody thing, but it was a right good laugh Found out later that Iwas running lean... two melted pistons.... )
Old 24 July 2004, 10:27 AM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BedHog
Another good one is drive to the speedlimit but don't slow down for corners lol
I do that, it's great fun as there's some really twisty roads round my way.

Some of these chavs might just be baiting you to get a response, i used to do that occasionally when i was younger.

Pulled up alongside a new Porsche 928 at some lights many years back, i was in my old crappy generic hatchback. As lights were on red i thought i'd bait the Porsche guy by looking across at him whist revving the engine and edging forwards, drag strip style.

He adjusted his Gucci sunglasses, and when the lights changed he was off - engine screaming and tyres howling, he left black strips from his back tyres for about 30 yards!

I put mine in gear and pulled away normally/slowly, and sticking to the speed limit. When i caught him up at the next set of red lights he had a pi$$ed off look on his face, made me grin - i was wondering how much tyres cost for a 928.
Old 24 July 2004, 03:26 PM
Stueyb
Scooby Regular

Bloody hell RedKop, to make em turn round you must be doing something special However saying that a nice unmolested cossie is a rare sight these days. most have been caned to within an inch of their life and had a hard life and lots of body rust !
Old 24 July 2004, 04:14 PM
Cold Turkey
Scooby Regular

don't own a scoob yet but I can relate to these stories now. Had an EVO trying to lure me into a race this morning....and I was only on me test drive
Old 24 July 2004, 04:35 PM
James_TypeR
Scooby Regular

Yesterday i was driving home after dropping girlfriend back to work from lunch...... had a red 106, lowered, exhaust behind me. followed all the roads i went down... i was sticking to the speed limits. and couldnt even be bothered to show him that i wasn't interested, as was a waste of time... so listening to my music and watching him in my rear view mirror..... he sitting within a FOOT of my rear bumper.... so we come up to a cyclist.. so i indicate to over take... and over take normally.... this 106 hammers it overtaking behind me and is right on my bumper again. so i slammed my brakes on for a second and his front end nearly dug the road up. then i carried on again and from then on he stuck back about 3 car lengths.

that'll teach idiots in small cars thinking they have something to prove. does my nut in!
Old 24 July 2004, 05:54 PM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I presume it's so they can go down to the pub with their chav mates and boast about how they took on a scoob and only lost 'cos they had to turn off etc.

So far I've been relatively lucky. Only one I've had was when some joker comes up to five feet behind me in a bog-standard Vectra when I'm stuck at 50 in a 60 behind a Passat. Bearing in mind this is a winding B-road I'll leave you to guess what happened when the Passat turned off....

M
Old 24 July 2004, 06:29 PM
mynickers
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NotoriousREV
I had a carful of ***** in a Passat TDi try to show me how fast their car was, all grinning inanely at me. Oh, how I laughed when they vacated lane 3 and I dropped it into 3rd and floored it.

They passed me again as I exited the motorway (queue for the slip road). They wouldn't even look over, LOL.
LOL, just been out today in my mates STI, as you might see my other post, so know exactly what you mean. He was saying that he has taken on a few donuts just really too see what his new car can do, but nothing - no really nothing has got close to him, including tasty porkers. He said he just ignores them now, apart from motorbikes, as they're the only thing that would keep up, bar maybe an Evo? LOL, just said the last one as a gentle jibe - please ignore!

Trouble is, it's always the lowest comon denominator that f**ks it up for everyone else, classic scoobs are accessible to most now, and you will see more and more dicks driving them, muppetising them with paint jobs, hand jobs, spoilers and all the other chav spank, and they'll end up giving the car a bad name. Like Capri's, great rear wheel drive cars, but an embarassment to own near the end, because the the dicks that drove around reving them at traffic lights waiting for other nobbers in Nova's to try their luck.

It's inevitable, think the best thing to do as the poster mentioned is not waste your optimax on them. Unless it's on the bent and twisties, racing off traffic lights / standing start, a f**king blind person can do that! I dont get what they're trying to prove, if they're into motorsport, go to a track, there are plenty of cheap ways to drive on tracks these days, if you draw your sense of pride and self esteem from road racing, it doesn't say much for your personality really does it!?

That said, the funniest thing ever is wopping someone through some bent and twisties in a very slow car. I got in a tangle with an M3 on a busy three lane motorway with 50mph speed limit, he was being a 'rude boy' tosser, and I told him to f**k off, and it all got a bit hairy. In the heat of the moment, I made what could of been a fatal mistake to race my way out in a - wait for it, 1.2 - 16v standard clio! LOL! It was very busy traffic, three lane chocka - so I used the gaps in the traffic as a kind of racing track, weaving and bobbing from lane to lane, and finding a path through (pissing quite a few people off no doubt) and then swiftly cutting across all three and taking the exit leaving him suck in fast lane - donkey! If I didn't get the chance to exit unexpectanlty as i had planned, then it might of ended in my being shot several times, but I was lucky! Okay - it was quite dangerous, it wasn't bit or clever, and I did feel a bit silly after (and ****ing chuffed with myself) but I am fairly competent driver and when the blood is pumping, and some mad drug dealer is threatening you, drastic measures are called for! I only did it because this t**t was getting a bit agro over nothing, and it was so funny, he couldn't keep up, and he did actually try! M3, yes brand new M3, doesnt' matter how capable your car is, if you dont know how to use the gear box, or lift off, general driving techniques - you're a ****e driver - whatever you drive. I couldn't actually believe it, he was trying to chase me in the same gear I think, he got quite out of shape, and couldnt' keep up. I was throwing it from 2nd, 3rd, and 4th, and letting the ickle engine rage at full rev's to get the torque I needed to throw it violently from left to right, the tyres were squealing, and it was all a bit manic. It leans like a *******, but even the standard clio chassis is actually very good, it grips like mad, and if you use lift off just right you can really get it to shift direction quite well.

So there you have it boys, if I can beat an M3 in an entry level clio, then you really dont' need to waste your time showing anyone scoob is quicker just smile smuggly and remind yourself, they're only doing it because they want one too!

Note to self: Got to stop coming on here pissed and talking for ages!

Last edited by mynickers; 24 July 2004 at 06:36 PM.
Old 24 July 2004, 06:44 PM
Mark in Ireland
Scooby Regular

Cool

Quote....I actually did that recently with a cop car - stuck on 40 (Road Angel reading), every corner I came to I kept at 40 and the cop fell way behind but caught up easily on the straights (obviously exceeding the speed limit!) Good fun

I came thru Carlisle heading home on the A595 from Stranraer and had been moving at a steady 90 on the open roads most of the journey, (early hours of the morning..0130hrs ) as I turned off the roundabout following the A595 I caught a glimpse of a marked volvo which was coming onto the roundabout and started following me. I accelerated rapidly to 60 and put cruise on and kept it on until he turned off for Wigton....he did the same, slowed for the corners and caught up on the straight...I was still expecting a pull though!!
Old 24 July 2004, 09:36 PM
r32
Scooby Regular

Just let them go, its nearly always in restricted areas anyway and sooner or later they'll get pulled. Nothing to prove is there? No road rage that way either, be laid back guys so laid back youre almost horizontal.
Prefer booting mine on quite clear country roads, just me, the STI and the road, no dick heads.........
Old 24 July 2004, 09:45 PM
S.B.
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Redkop
I am sorry to say, it's Scoob drivers that are the main ones that try it on. Have even had ones going in the opposite direction, turn round....
You can hear them shouting Theres that mod from scoobynet who keeps closing and deleting all my threads

Old 24 July 2004, 09:55 PM
r32
Scooby Regular

Smacks of racing, foolish thing to do, stay well clear..........
Old 24 July 2004, 10:00 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

>Driving through an Asian area every one one them want to race me.

I know m8.I am an Asian and all the other Asians race me when I am in Lambeth/Clapham or in Birmingham
Old 24 July 2004, 10:24 PM
NicoRossi
Scooby Regular

Well I just had an experience of this...

Was at the lights and a Saxo draws up along side, average ~20 year old "rudeboy", starts revving his stuff up and I just sat in the car not making any expressions towards him. Lights go red/orange and in the scoob we nip off quite quickly and Mr. Saxo promptly stalls infront of all the clubs ready to laugh at him. Fantastic.

I think like most people say, the best thing is to just save the optimax and drive as normal.
Old 24 July 2004, 11:22 PM
washer
Scooby Regular

not me my law is ready stedy go. go on red pisses them all off in my astra
Old 25 July 2004, 12:25 AM
Blobster
Scooby Regular

Cool

Had this phenomenon in the RB5 on a number of occasions.
However in the WR1 all I get is heads turning. (admiring glances? or folk thinking 'Who's the **** in the gay coloured car? you decide).

Blobster
Old 25 July 2004, 02:20 PM
Redkop
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Stueyb
Bloody hell RedKop, to make em turn round you must be doing something special However saying that a nice unmolested cossie is a rare sight these days. most have been caned to within an inch of their life and had a hard life and lots of body rust !
Not as rare as you think there are loads of well cared for cossies around. Just take a look at any of the Ford bbs and look at pictures taken from RS shows. Very few, if any Esc Cos' don't suffer from rust as they were built by Karmann in Germany.
Old 25 July 2004, 02:25 PM
Redkop
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by S.B.
You can hear them shouting Theres that mod from scoobynet who keeps closing and deleting all my threads

Hey there's other Mods ya know, that also close/delete threads
Old 25 July 2004, 02:33 PM
M444GY
Former Sponsor

Location: MSOCs tyre and ROTA wheel dealer .Ruisliptyres@gmail.com

they are tryin to prove a point ! but they never can and never will because the are worthless fu*king chavs who have no meaning on this planet. my car has been damaged by a **** nova who tried to race me but wheelspun so hard it pulled him into the side of my nice shiney bmw

Quick Reply: What is it with people when they see a scooby?