Sponsored by:

Racing/handling courses

Search this Thread

Old 13 July 2000, 02:50 AM
scrappydoo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey there all.
Approx 3 months ago, my father and i visited a porcshe dealership to look at the cars (as u do). We were approached by the salesman and asked if we wanted to go on a free testdrive with the main testdiver for porsche.As you can imagine we jumped at the offer, and a few days later we were on the way to the track (that they had hired for the day) in a 911. (lovely). When we had got there we were greeted by the main man himself. He proceeded to explain to us newbies about his life as a racing driver, driving some of the most desirable cars around some of the main circuits. He then asked me if i wanted to go for a ride in his boxster (250 bhp). Now being stupid i thought he would take his time round the track. How wrong was i, he bloody floored it, sending the car in positions i never thought possible (I think he was trying to scare me). I have a pug 306 with approx 120 bhp. Now this is fast to me so i was quite shocked when he floored it. (sorry to go on, it gets to the point eventually). It was great and i loved every minute of it, especially the part where he let me drive it on the track and on the road, however my father did'nt as he threw up upon exiting the car.
This little ride opened my eyes to racing and i've read a few threads now about racing on circuit days and have found them most interesting. I have no knowledge of the subject (circuits) but need some skill at controling fast cars as i will be the proud owner of a new scooby next year. I consider myself a good driver and need a course/lessons of some type to go on for a beginner otherwise i will probably right off my new scoob. Now im not boasting or anything but during my boyracer days i was approached twice by some very dodgy men asking if i would be their gettaway driver for some job or another, so i guess they thought i was quite a good driver. The testdriver was also impressed and commented on my driving skills. Ok boast over. So all in all this has made me go in search of courses to go on for basic driving/handling skills, and racing courses after that. I would be most greatful if any of u could point me on the right road. thanku
Cheers
scrappy.
Old 13 July 2000, 08:41 AM
alistair
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Try Don Palmewr at