Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's wrong with Scoobies and Top Gear?

Search this Thread

Old 22 July 2004, 10:02 AM
Nicci
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's wrong with Scoobies and Top Gear?

What did the scooby crew do to offend Jeremy Clarkson when they visited the Top Gear studio a while back?

I watched filming yesterday. Jeremy welcomed everyone then said are there any scooby owners here?

I didn't hear any replies (fear?), although there was at least 1 scoob there.

Jeremy then said, that means we have a good audience then.
Old 22 July 2004, 10:18 AM
darms
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He done the same thing when I was there....... didn't get any bad comments at all. He just was a bit supprised that I was the only one. Recon they get a great deal of scooby owners turing up, the day I was there Civic Type R's got it in the neck (20+ were in the car park)
Old 22 July 2004, 10:41 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

It's just his nature. Don't know the guy personally, but it seems the more popular something is, the more he dislikes it. Doesn't matter why it's popular, or with who it's popular, he just wants to appear different and will go to great lengths to tell everyone. I think he (& the others) have done a good job in making a motoring programme entertaining and much of it is down to his indifferent sarcasm and morose humour. Still, it would benefit from a little more motoring fact and a lot less nuns doughnuting JCB's or whatever else I fast forward through when I watch it on VHS. I think he probably categorises us along with the LaxBowels/MaxFuk brigade, which when browsing through some of the posts in the gallery here occasionally seems justified. An anorak is an anorak, whether they like trains, stamps, sticking obnoxiously coloured chunks of plastic to $hitty French hunchbacks or tarting up their ugly 4 door family saloon with the full SWRT decal pack. And all anoraks are a point of ridicule.

IMHO <flame suit on>

running.
Old 22 July 2004, 11:55 AM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Location: Surviving as a soldier of fortune on the Los Angeles underground...

On the STI8 v Evo8 shootout he and hammond both picked the Subaru as the "better" car even though it was slower round the track.
Old 22 July 2004, 12:16 PM
drumsterphil
Scooby Regular

I've been to Top Gear twice and both times it's come out about what I drive! JC ripped the p1ss the first time but it was all done in good humour. However, Hammond tried the same thing with RB5286 standing next to him (and anyone who knows Mark will realise how funny that situation would be when the hamster learnt what he drove!!:;).

(oh yeah, not only do I drive a Subaru but I have facial-hair - I was doomed before I stepped into the studio!)
Old 22 July 2004, 12:45 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by drumsterphil
(oh yeah, not only do I drive a Subaru but I have facial-hair - I was doomed before I stepped into the studio!)
Think of the extra fuel consumption
Old 22 July 2004, 12:53 PM
Midget
Scooby Regular

Clarkson cannot be deemed an impartial journo in any shape or form he is purely an entertainer first and foremost .
After the first minute of his piece driving the new Ford GT or what ever it was called you just knew it was a totally biased report and then sure enough at the end guess who is getting one ( Mr Clarkson ) .Not that it bothers me but working in a field where journo's require entertaining which believe me can be a real pain in the *** at times an impartial and unbiased review of any product are simply few and far between.
Old 22 July 2004, 01:22 PM
subaru-impreza.org
Scooby Regular

I would love to go down there.... Have sent an email off to BBC but no luck as yet We live in hope
Old 22 July 2004, 02:13 PM
Walwal
Scooby Regular

The show's ok, but I hate Clarkson.

Andy.
Old 22 July 2004, 02:30 PM
Cider boy
Scooby Regular

Come on folks, Top Gear is just an entertaining hour of telly on a Sunday night! It's hardly factual, for example the "Stig" tests that are done in the wet are assumed to be 4 seconds slower than the dry. It's pretty obvious that although this figure maybe in the ballpark it's going to vary for FWD, RWD and AWD, and would probably affect a 600 bhp supercar more than the Suzuki ****box!!

I'm sure he knocks the Subaru as it's one of the most affordable and accessable performance cars, and therefore he knows he stands a good chance of getting suitable reaction from audience / viewers. If he started off by asking how many Zonda owners were there he would probably look a bit of a fool

If you take it as a light hearted entertainment show based around cars I think you'll be somewhere near the mark!! Personally I like Clarkson, says what he likes and has a lightning parked on his drive :

Matt
Old 22 July 2004, 04:02 PM
ARM-Scooby
Scooby Regular

The magazine isnt too factual in comparison to EVO and auto car weekly. It seems to be aimed at people that like cars, not people that are mad for them.
Old 22 July 2004, 04:11 PM
7 Foot
Scooby Regular

Personally I think JC is a complete **** and I hardly ever get to see Top Gear (not for that reason).

I did catch an episode ages ago when they were placing the Impreza on the cool wall or classic or crock wall or whatever they call it. JC was totally for the Impreza Turbo being stuck on the cool/classic side saying that he loved it.

The photo was of a classic so maybe it's just the ugly, chunky new ones he dislikes .
Old 22 July 2004, 05:21 PM
drumsterphil
Scooby Regular

In his defence, JC is very approachable in real life and certainly not the ego-maniac he portrays of TG (and he makes by far the best documentaries on TV - Brunel, Whittle etc).
Old 22 July 2004, 06:19 PM
jmk
Scooby Regular

JC rules. Rude, obnoxious and entertaining.
Old 22 July 2004, 06:21 PM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Midget
After the first minute of his piece driving the new Ford GT or what ever it was called you just knew it was a totally biased report and then sure enough at the end guess who is getting one ( Mr Clarkson )
First of all, did you not see last series? There was a running joke that Clarkson would only ever be nice about Ford's 'cos he didn't know if he'd get a GT40. So the others took the p*ss out of him for it.

Then, after the GT40 review, they then spent five minutes extracting yet more urine..

"So, it does 75 miles on a tank of petrol?"
"Yes."
"How far is it from your house to the studio?"
(Quietly)"76 miles".

etc.

I like TG, mainly 'cos it IS entertainment first.

M
Old 22 July 2004, 06:25 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

IMO he's a prat - no wonder Tiff, VBH and Quentin took the original concept elsewhere

hmmm vbh
Old 22 July 2004, 06:37 PM
Tandy
Scooby Regular

Could be worse, you could own a new BMW!

I like top gear and try not to miss it, but I get a bit fed up with all the crap (jet engines blowing over cars etc.) and driving round in qtr million pound supercars.
Lets have a look at some day to day cars that will help us decide if we want to trade in our motors for something better/different!

Tandy
Old 22 July 2004, 06:55 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

It seems pretty universal that nobody like the timewasting fill-ins (nuns, jet engines, buses etc) so why do they percevere (sp?) with them? It was $hit like that which killed Driven on CH4, which prior to that was becoming the best motoring show on the box. Leave them for JC's Xmas DVD and give us some facts, figures and useful comparisons. And some fools hooning around in half million pound exotica from time to time
Old 22 July 2004, 09:04 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Scooby owners/french/welsh/beards - he must be given credit for casting his net of bigotry wide Well I suppose you would need to cast it wide if you too drove an old man's car albeit with a Max Power slant...
Old 22 July 2004, 09:17 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

JC is a good bloke, and he knows what he is talking about, fair enough he is not the best driver in the world and he will admit that but when it comes to just about everything else to do with cars he is right.
End of.
Old 22 July 2004, 09:32 PM
7 Foot
Scooby Regular

when it comes to just about everything else to do with cars he is right

I particularly love his balanced approach to Porsche 911s.

The blokes an idiot.
Old 22 July 2004, 10:14 PM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by corradoboy
It seems pretty universal that nobody like the timewasting fill-ins (nuns, jet engines, buses etc) so why do they percevere (sp?) with them?
That's weird, because everyone I talk to can only even remember the silly bits. The last thing we need is a bunch of anoraks droning on about better fuel consumption and comparing running costs of the Mundanio and the Vectra. It's a show for G*d's sake - it's supposed to inform and entertain, but mostly to entertain. If you want detailed serious motoring stuff buy a magazine, 'cos there isn't time for that on TG.

M
Old 23 July 2004, 01:12 AM
Johnny WR1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by corradoboy
It seems pretty universal that nobody like the timewasting fill-ins (nuns, jet engines, buses etc) so why do they percevere (sp?) with them?
Must admit that I agree with Meridian. He spent half of the last show jabbering inanely with Martin Clunes - when he shut up and started blowing cars of runways, I woke up.
Old 23 July 2004, 01:19 AM
LEGACYTURBS
Scooby Regular

He prefers EVO's.
Typical of an inferior driver.
Old 23 July 2004, 03:32 AM
ben44
Scooby Regular

What is wrong with some of you?? If you don't like him, change channel.
If you act all defensive he's got himself a p!ss take. It would seem that he's winning aswell.
Think for yourselves, you don't HAVE to agree with what someone else has written
Old 23 July 2004, 06:59 AM
tuscan57
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by LEGACYTURBS
He prefers EVO's.
Typical of an inferior driver.
is that because they are sponsored by mitsi tho?????? there was a rumour!
Old 23 July 2004, 08:28 AM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Old 23 July 2004, 08:44 AM
RoosterRoo
Scooby Regular

Well, it looks like there are 3 main camps here:

1. People who like top gear and JC
2. People who Like top gear and dislike JC
3. People who dislike BOTH TC and JC

I have to admit I fall into the first category. Top Gear is a good hour of light entertainment for a Sunday night. Yeah, true it might not always be unbiased journalism but it is a bit of FUN, which is probably why most of us drive subarus anyway!
Old 23 July 2004, 09:04 AM
will13
Scooby Regular

I prefer the modern top gear style (light entertainment) to the older top gear style (purely car reviews)! At the end of the day it is being watched by people who are very interested in cars, but people who are very interested in cars don't go out and just buy a car because a journalist on TV says it is a good, they go out and drive them for themselves! I'd rather watch JC going round a track sideways in a supercar than him pottering around the streets of london in a vauxhall corsa telling us about how many mpgs he's getting etcetc!
Old 23 July 2004, 10:51 AM
Lucy_2004
Scooby Newbie

He's too busy sucking up to ford to get his GT. What a Car though, although petrol cunsumption works out £1 a mile, not bad. JC must **** money

Quick Reply: What's wrong with Scoobies and Top Gear?