Sponsored by:

Strange noise

Search this Thread

Old 22 July 2004, 01:52 AM
Johnny WR1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange noise

I'm still running the motor in atm, but have noticed a subtle sound under the normal engine throb under power. It's like a metallic fluttering sound - not loud, but noticeable. It only happens when the turbo is coming on song (from about 3250 rpm), and stops immediately I lift off (ie. it's related to when the power is on, not to the amount of revs).

I'd guessed something had worked a little loose and was vibrating, although a mate said it could be escaping air from a dodgy gasket/hose connection somewhere. I also noticed that I could hear it easier in the cabin than I could with my head out the window.

Anyone else experienced this, or have any other suggestions?

It's going in for it's 1K service in a few days, so I want them to have a look at it. I'd appreciate any advice in the meantime though.

Cheers.

Edited to say that I'm not sure it's quite the same thing that EvilKyote talked about in another thread (exhaust heat shields).

Last edited by Johnny WR1; 22 July 2004 at 01:58 AM.
Old 22 July 2004, 09:05 AM
Clive the Brave
Scooby Regular

Cool

Originally Posted by Johnny WR1
I'm still running the motor in atm, but have noticed a subtle sound under the normal engine throb under power. It's like a metallic fluttering sound - not loud, but noticeable. It only happens when the turbo is coming on song (from about 3250 rpm), and stops immediately I lift off (ie. it's related to when the power is on, not to the amount of revs).

I'd guessed something had worked a little loose and was vibrating, although a mate said it could be escaping air from a dodgy gasket/hose connection somewhere. I also noticed that I could hear it easier in the cabin than I could with my head out the window.

Anyone else experienced this, or have any other suggestions?

It's going in for it's 1K service in a few days, so I want them to have a look at it. I'd appreciate any advice in the meantime though.

Cheers.

Edited to say that I'm not sure it's quite the same thing that EvilKyote talked about in another thread (exhaust heat shields).

Hi Jonny,

Does sound like something I come up against.

Have you had any work done on the car, GPS, Lasor Jammer, ect.....

By the way, there seems to be a little fluttler, atleast all the 3 Wr1's I've been out in are the same. Try and locate someone close so you can check out each others cars. Whats your location

Mike Wood, Pro Drive's
Iain.M.
My baby
Cheers guys.

But there's one thing to check"""""""""""GROMETS""""""" in the engine bay.
If there's any missing or you've had work done and there's not a tight fit you get loads of engine noise been pushed in to the car.

My car was like this, my dealer changed the turbo thinking that was the problem. But when that failed to solve the noise, Mike Wood :>)))) and Dave from Subaru UK came to have a look and the problem was found with in 5 mins. Cheers again Mike.

By the way "" go for the Pro Drive strut brace" fantastic job

cheers

Clive
Old 22 July 2004, 09:59 AM
Johnny WR1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Clive the Brave
Have you had any work done on the car, GPS, Lasor Jammer, ect.....
No, it's straight out of the box. 500 miles on it now.

By the way, there seems to be a little fluttler, atleast all the 3 Wr1's I've been out in are the same. Try and locate someone close so you can check out each others cars. Whats your location
Heh, I'm in the Channel Islands - got the only one over here atm, so nobody else to compare with.

I wouldn't say it was loads of noise, but it doesn't sound right. It could very well be turbo-related - either a slightly out of balance impeller perhaps, if that's possible, or an improper seal around the I/C or manifold maybe?

[QUOTE=Clive the Brave]My car was like this, my dealer changed the turbo thinking that was the problem. But when that failed to solve the noise, Mike Wood :>)))) and Dave from Subaru UK came to have a look and the problem was found with in 5 mins. Cheers again Mike.[QUOTE=Clive the Brave]

I wonder if they fancy some VAT-free shopping?

By the way "go for the Pro Drive strut brace" fantastic job
I wondered whether it would be worth getting one (front only, I imagine?) but I haven't had a sniff of u/steer yet. I'm still running it in of course.

Took it round a roundabout looking for u/steer the other day and got a slighty weird sensation - as I went round, I felt what I'd describe as a rocking motion - not side to side, but front to back. It wasn't unsettling, and there was no u/steer - it was just a bit odd. I wondered if this was the auto diff mucking about with the torque split? Any ideas on that one?
Old 22 July 2004, 10:40 AM
Iain M
Scooby Regular

Hello Johnny

As Clive has already mentioned, I get the same noise in mine. Clive and I were fotunate to be driven around Castle Combe race circuit by Mike Wood in the Prodrive WR1 and yes it had the same noise. So it looks like a WR1 charateristic. It's worth mentioning to your dealer though if you're worried about it. Perhaps all the cars have the same fault

Oh and I've ordered the Prodrive strut brace as well. Looks really smart.
Old 22 July 2004, 12:04 PM
LiamWR1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Iain M
Hello Johnny

As Clive has already mentioned, I get the same noise in mine. Clive and I were fotunate to be driven around Castle Combe race circuit by Mike Wood in the Prodrive WR1 and yes it had the same noise. So it looks like a WR1 charateristic. It's worth mentioning to your dealer though if you're worried about it. Perhaps all the cars have the same fault

Oh and I've ordered the Prodrive strut brace as well. Looks really smart.
Hi Iain,

How much did the strut brace set you back?

Cheers,

Liam.
Old 22 July 2004, 12:31 PM
Iain M
Scooby Regular

I haven't paid for it yet, but it will be about £320. That's about what Clive paid for his. Perhaps Clive could take a photograph and post it on here?
Old 22 July 2004, 01:44 PM
fastfrank
Scooby Regular

I had exactly the same issue on my WRX03. There was a post on here some time ago... strange fluttering noise under hard acceleration.

Anyways, it went after 10,000 miles (three oil changes).

Apparantly its nowt to worry about.