Sponsored by:

IMPORTS

Search this Thread

Old 21 July 2004, 09:26 PM
wosupmup
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question IMPORTS

JUST BEEN OFFERED WRX IMPORT 92-93 REG BUT IT HASNT BEEN REGISTERED IN THIS COUNTRY IT WAS BOUGHT FROM AUCTION ORIGINALY 6 MONTHS AGO BUT NEVER REGISTERED AS FAR AS I KNOW IT HAS ALL THE PAPERWORK BUT ITS ALL IN JAP THE FOG LIGHT HAS BEEN DONE IS THERE ANY REASON WHY IT COULD NOT BE REGISTERED BEFORE I BUY AND HOW DO YOU INSURE BEFORE YOU REGISTER / HAD A LOOK ON DVLA WEBSITE AND IT SAID YOU NEEDED INSURANCE AND VALID MOT BEFORE REGISTRATION ARE THERE ANY PITFALLS I MAY FACE
Old 22 July 2004, 12:25 AM
Taff107
Scooby Regular

Old 22 July 2004, 05:34 PM
WRX Wannabe
Scooby Regular

Pmsl @ Taff
Old 22 July 2004, 06:49 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

*sigh* looks like nobody else is actually going to help...

If the car has already passed SVA then it shouldn't be a problem. However, if it had then it would most likely be registered too, so let's assume it hasn't.

You need to check with a VRO about whether the car needs a Model Report in order to be SVA'd. If it does, then I think you're stuffed, since there don't seem to be reports around for older cars. That said, since it's over 10 years old now you might be in luck.

Insurance prior to registration is normally done on the chassis number, and most insurers are happy to do this. In fact I'm going to have to do this myself soon to register my own new JDM car. MOT should be straightforward enough, although I'm not sure on the legalities of driving an unregistered car to & from an MOT station - best ask the VRO or your local police station.

Other pitfalls? It's an awfully old car now, presumably with unknown history in Japan, so you could be asking for a lot of bills if it's not been properly looked after. At that age, you could be in for a lot of bills anyway.

What paperwork do you have? Has duty & VAT already been paid on the car? Where is it now? I believe you need to ensure you have a certificate of de-registration in Japan, an SVA pass certificate (if that's been done), proof that duty & VAT have been paid, a current MOT, certificate of insurance and proof of the vehicle's age. For your own benefit you want a stamped up service book, service receipts and details of where the fog lamp, mph speedo and fuel neck restrictor were added.

All I can say is I hope the car is cheap...
Old 22 July 2004, 07:17 PM
Sprint Chief
Scooby Regular

AFAIK because the car is over ten years old and a Japanese import then the car will pass the SVA because Japanese type approval and UK type approval were aligned in those days.

You must prove the car had Japanese type approval, which means you must have the deregistration document which must have the "model type" and "model designation" bits filled in correctly.
Old 22 July 2004, 09:17 PM
wosupmup
Scooby Regular

Unhappy IMPORT

THANS FOR THAT I HAVNT LOOKED AT THE PAPERWORK YET I HAVE TO PICK PAPERWORK UP TONIGHT I WILL KNOW MORE THEN THE CAR IS PRICED AT £3000 WITH £4000 WORTH OF NEW EXTRAS THE GUY HAS LOST INTEREST IN IT THE CAR WAS BOUGHT FROM NEWPORT AUCTIONS SO I PRESUME THE PROPER CHANNELS HAVE BEEN DONE THANKS AGAIN WILL GET PAPERWORK AND GO FROM THERE
Old 22 July 2004, 10:17 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

wosupmup - please take the ever-so subtle hint from Taff. Using the caps lock is like SHOUTING and annoys the hell out of most posters. If you want people to help you, please have a bit of consideration - you'll get a lot more responses!

Chris
Old 22 July 2004, 10:24 PM
mo,s scoobymonster
Scooby Regular

the cars a 93 then you don't have to get an sva test done.just have the deregistration docs and HM customs documents that vat and customs have been paid. get an mot done theyll just put unreg on the certificate and once it gets registered at the dvla they stamp it with the number plate. again insurance done on the chassis number hope that helps
Old 23 July 2004, 06:06 PM
wosupmup
Scooby Regular

Wink imports

well i thought it looked better with the caps lock on sorry guys looks like i didnt get the hint earlier thanks for all your help ive worked it out how to register now tried to insure today .my missis is 24 and they all laughed at me got to wait till she is 25 ,5 months is there anyone out there who are reasonable tried liver and vict she has to be 30 before they touch her
Old 23 July 2004, 06:35 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

ive said it before and ill say it again, tesco
Old 24 July 2004, 09:59 PM
wosupmup
Scooby Regular

tesco want £1350 for the scoob. i am already a tesco customer on my lexus with my misses and its only £7oo,,, privilge want £940 no tracker just cat one alarm
Old 24 July 2004, 10:11 PM
THE DEVIANT
Scooby Regular

Endsleigh were cheapest for me, no tracker just cat1. MY93 WRX modified.
Old 25 July 2004, 12:43 PM
Stiff
Scooby Regular

MOST PLACES............. Sorry, most places I tried wanted around £1100-£1200 (96 WRX), but Tesco`s quoted £720 (or £835 for instalments) Even cheaper when cat 1 alarm fitted. Thought they were pretty good.
Old 28 July 2004, 08:44 PM
wosupmup
Scooby Regular

just gotta keep trying never mind though it just means my woman cant drive it till november cheers
Old 28 July 2004, 10:30 PM
Walwal
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wosupmup
just gotta keep trying never mind though it just means my woman cant drive it till november cheers
Doesn't matter who drives it, if it's not you, you'll be bricking yourself (especially if you're in the passenger seat after being picked up from a night on the tiles). "LOOK OUT FOR THAT BUS!!! HE'S GOING TO SWITCH LANES!!! THIS IS A MANUAL BOX, NOT AN AUTOMATIC, WHEN THE NEEDLE BOUNCES OFF THE RED LINE, IT'S TIME TO CHANGE UP!!!" are just a few of the comments you will be saying if you're not the driver. Lol.

Andy.