Sponsored by:

Not only Nova drivers drive like idiots

Search this Thread

Old 11 July 2000, 09:18 AM
Richard F
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

Out for a drive the other day when I came upon a very nice looking R32 or R33 Skyline (not sure). Thought to myself "What a nice car" etc. As he pulled out behind, he immediately assumes a position some, ooooh, 2 nanometers off my back bumper and is drifting across the road and back again behind me.

Eventually we came up to a roundabout where I'm going into the right hand lane. Oh no, I'm not. Because he has screamed past me obviously proving that he's very fast to have overtaken an STi doing about 25 mph. @rsehole.

Probably won't be reading this but if he is, you've got a very nice car there mate but don't drive like a d1ck to prove how quick it is. Especially in a built up area in rush hour.

Whilst I'm in a moaning mood (there's a change then...) if the driver of the MY95 green UK car that went past the RTA in Hurstmonceaux (sp?) is reading this, you should slow down too. Not really very clever booting it past an upturned car in the middle of the road is it???? Tw@t.

Anyway, what with all the talk about the Impreza gaining a boy-racer image, I can't help wondering if it's happening all over if idiots like this Skyline are anything to go by. Anyone know of any other Skyline n0bbers or are they actually a decent bunch? I was thinking about one myself but have to wonder now...
Old 11 July 2000, 09:35 AM
DaveU
Scooby Regular

Old 11 July 2000, 09:48 AM
Richard F
Scooby Regular

DaveU

J'accuse!!!!!
Old 11 July 2000, 10:14 AM
DaveU
Scooby Regular

Smile

On the whole we're a decent bunch!
You'll always get people (of every make) who tw*t their cars about like idiots. Not me of course.
Saying that i did race a Ferrari 355 the other day. His 105,000 squid prancing horse was suitably embarrased by my lardy 26,000 squid Japanese cruise missile hehehehehehe.

Dave
Old 11 July 2000, 10:17 AM
Richard F
Scooby Regular

I've gotta say, although this guy was a bit of a deek, the car was very nice. What type have you got and what have you done to it?
Old 11 July 2000, 11:32 AM
DaveU
Scooby Regular

Rich,

Crap quality pic i know but:

I love it to bits - it's a MY96 R33-GTR with HKS dual dragger straight though, K&Ns, HKS steel piping, Bilstein suspension, BBS wheels, short shift and lots of security. I've got some other bits to fit which should make it 'quicker'

hutton_d: Most Skylines have xxxGTR number plates! I was thinking of 666-GTR but my other half reckons that would be tempting fate
Old 11 July 2000, 11:47 AM
Richard F
Scooby Regular

Looks just like the one I saw so I guess it was an R33.

What kind of output are we talking here then???

Bit of a shame this guy was driving like he did. It wasn't just me though. I saw him about 0.5 miles later and he was doing the same thing to other people. Was a very sexy car though...
Old 11 July 2000, 01:14 PM
Mike Rainbird
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Richard,
As standard they are pants a UK Scooby makes 218bhp and weighs 1235Kg to give a power to weight of 177bhp per tonne. A Skyline makes 276bhp (Jap limit) and weighs a colussal 1500Kg+ to give it a power to weight of only 180bhp per tonne. This means that a well driven Scoob will crucify a Skyline due to the less mass that the Subaru driver has to fight with... (Ask Stef... ). Ask David to tell you his best time at Santa Pod in his Skyline "tank" compared to his Scooby...
LOL
Mike
Old 11 July 2000, 01:15 PM
DaveU
Scooby Regular

Output? Oh it's at least 600 bhp
Old 11 July 2000, 01:29 PM
DaveU
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Cheers Mike! Yeah the Skyline is HEAVY so it's not much good at standing starts. Santa Pod time was 14secs compared to 13.7 in my Scoob. Given a rolling start - see ya later!
And another thing! There's no way even a well Scoob will beat a Skyline - sorry! Steam roller 265 tyres mean corners don't even exist! Different cars are suited to different roads - windy country lanes and the Scoob is in it's element, smoother bits of tarmac and the Skyline rules! I know 'cos i've had both!

Dave
-x-

PS I've been testing my V-Max and you're totally right about the Revs day but it'll be a good day out anyway (sighs) one day... (cackle cackle)
Old 11 July 2000, 01:30 PM
Richard F
Scooby Regular

Thing is, it's pretty easy to get big power out of them isnt it? I'm a bit fed up with the Scoob's "300 bhp's your limit unless you rebuild the engine with non-cream cheese parts" tuning.

And no, I don't want a Cossie before anyone says it
Old 11 July 2000, 01:35 PM
Cheeky Jim
Scooby Regular

Wink

On Gran Turismo 2 (Playstation) I can upgrade my Scooby upto about 450bhp.....I take it that this is complete **** then!

doh!

I'll get me coat.....

Jim
Old 11 July 2000, 02:17 PM
Mike Rainbird
Scooby Regular

Cool

Richard,
You do REALLY want a Cossie... The myth that a Skyline is any easier to tune than a Scooby is just that - a myth. The only difference is that a Datsun starts off with 70bhp more to begin with, so will always have that advantage over a Scooby for the same mods (due to it's additional engine capacity).

For example, as soon as you go above 350bhp you have to junk the standard ceramic turbos and replace them with steel ones. This is because the ceramic ones cannot run even moderate boost, let alone high boost pressures. Then you have to change the cams, injectors, intercooler, conrods and crank if you want to go above 450bhp! So how is that any easier than getting big power out of a Scooby?

Show a standard Skyline more than 1 bar of constant boost and say goodbye to the engine, they are just as "soft cheese" as a Scooby lump. In fact most Jap engines are built around their 280bhp limit, which means all the mechanicals are specced to this level (waste of money otherwise, as by law the standard cars cannot produce more than this power), and accordingly are just as "soft cheese".

The alleged 1000bhp Skylines have been proven to have 300bhp less than the claimed figures (according to the owner of the Jun powered one that was recently in Autocar's 0-100-0 test) and have TOTALLY different internals that cost £30-40k to build (just for the engine...).

What you really want is a Legacy 2.5 twin turbo lump in a 22b. Tuned correctly this could produce a "lazy" 400bhp. The chassis could handle the power in it's sleep (and it does look like sex on wheels ). Anders had the chance, but had already committed to something else at the time....

Dave,
As to whether you think you could keep up with a certain UK Impreza at a smooth track like Donnington with your "steamroller" tyres, I would like to watch that..!
LOL
Mike
Old 11 July 2000, 02:25 PM
Richard F
Scooby Regular

Smile

So I guess that engine would fit into my STi then...

How easy is 400bhp though?
Old 11 July 2000, 02:40 PM
Beef
Scooby Regular

Or course, not all jap lumps are that limited. Why, I can think of one that will happily go up to about 600bhp on stock internals...
Old 11 July 2000, 02:47 PM
Richard F
Scooby Regular

Wink

What, Nissan Figaro's??

Daihatsu Cuore?

Toyota Estima?
Old 11 July 2000, 02:50 PM
Mike Rainbird
Scooby Regular

Richard,
Yep, it would most certainly fit. 400bhp from 2.5 litres and two turbos would be a piece of the proverbial. However, you would need a sophisticated ECU to do it like Pectel T6 or Moray's Motec.....

Obviously this wouldn't be cheap as the engine would then have to be mapped properly on an engine dyno. The Pectel is £2.6k alone (including loom), so not for the faint hearted..... But this can store maps for each individual cylinder!

Beef is on about that other old man's car -the Supra....
Best regards
Mike

[This message has been edited by Mike Rainbird (edited 11-07-2000).]
Old 11 July 2000, 02:50 PM
DaveU
Scooby Regular

Richard - have you never seen a tuned Suzuki Wagon 'R' - WOW!
Old 11 July 2000, 03:05 PM
Richard F
Scooby Regular

Talking

Supra eh? I didn't think they were available any more. Something about them all being bought by the Variety Club for conversion to Sunshine Coaches

Supra might be a nice choice but I do like my 4wd. Yes that's right - I am a girl!!
Old 11 July 2000, 03:08 PM
Richard F
Scooby Regular

Ok how about the manifold and pipes / IC etc from the Legacy on the Impreza block so you could twin turbo the Impreza or is there a bit more to it (like internals)?

Probably cheaper to go for the whole thing... What about availability of engines though?
Old 11 July 2000, 03:56 PM
pnebbs
Scooby Regular

There is no standard 2.5 litre twin turbo Legacy engine, the 2.5s are all NA and all the twin turbos are 2.0L

Why not go for a 2.5litre conversion with a single turbo - you would have a job getting both turbos and a steering column under the bonnet of a impreza!

There is supposed to be number of 350bhp twin turbo 2.0s in Japan though

Paul
Twin Turbo Legacy
Old 11 July 2000, 04:24 PM
Mike Rainbird
Scooby Regular

Cool

Richard,
When Ahmed worked it out for Anders, it worked out the same cost getting a new Legacy engine as for the replacement bits needed for Anders 22b! But 22b bits are v. expensive and he had already committed to purchasing them...
Best regards
Mike
PS. I believe the latest legacy 2.5 is available as a twin turbo.....

[This message has been edited by Mike Rainbird (edited 11-07-2000).]
Old 12 July 2000, 08:58 PM
sti
Scooby Newbie

Wink

Here's a good video of a Skyline vs a RX7 doing 1/4 mile and
top speed runs around some Japanese track. Bloody good vid but
shame about the size