Sponsored by:

MY98 - 04WRX- differences?

Search this Thread

Old 21 July 2004, 11:30 AM
ScoobyPugh
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up MY98 - 04WRX- differences?

I am waiting to pick up my new WRX and wondered what differences I can expect going from an MY98 turbo - this one.

Is it quicker ? As it only has 5bhp more and is slightly heavier.

Any advice?
Old 21 July 2004, 11:44 AM
Wrexy27
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyPugh
I am waiting to pick up my new WRX and wondered what differences I can expect going from an MY98 turbo - this one.

Is it quicker ? As it only has 5bhp more and is slightly heavier.

Any advice?
Hi there.

I had a 98 Classic and now own a MY03 WRX.

WRX is much more solid and plush inside and a nicer place to be in the cabin!

Performance seems worse but it is an illusion, the power is just more linear with the new one so appears not so frantic.

handling I can't comment as mine had eibachs and 18" wheels when I bought it but the new car is much much stiffer and doesn't flex but does still run wide (understeer).

I much prefer the new WRX but still love the old classic.

Obviously, if you mod either car then the above comparison pretty much becomes irrelevant except the interior being nocer and the chassis stiffer.
Old 21 July 2004, 12:08 PM
ScoobyPugh
Scooby Regular

Red face

Originally Posted by Wrexy27
Hi there.

I had a 98 Classic and now own a MY03 WRX.

WRX is much more solid and plush inside and a nicer place to be in the cabin!

Performance seems worse but it is an illusion, the power is just more linear with the new one so appears not so frantic.

handling I can't comment as mine had eibachs and 18" wheels when I bought it but the new car is much much stiffer and doesn't flex but does still run wide (understeer).

I much prefer the new WRX but still love the old classic.

Obviously, if you mod either car then the above comparison pretty much becomes irrelevant except the interior being nocer and the chassis stiffer.
Performance seems worse?????

Oh my god, do you mean that it is not as much fun to drive???

Please say no!
Old 21 July 2004, 01:36 PM
Wrexy27
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyPugh
Performance seems worse?????

Oh my god, do you mean that it is not as much fun to drive???

Please say no!
No ! - providing that you get a TEK 3 remap and decat!

I've got to be honest and say old preza was for me more of a revelation than new one but I love new preza more and more the more I drive it and appreciate the creature comforts and solid chassis when compared to the classic prezas joke interior (sorry).

I think the classic was such a blinding car to drive first time I think my expectations of WRX being a huge leap forward werea bit optimistic. Also, I may be guilty of a touch of the rose tinteds with the classic and I doubt I would go back.

sorry not much help is it!
Old 22 July 2004, 12:44 PM
ScoobyPugh
Scooby Regular

Question Anyone disagree?

Originally Posted by Wrexy27
No ! - providing that you get a TEK 3 remap and decat!

I've got to be honest and say old preza was for me more of a revelation than new one but I love new preza more and more the more I drive it and appreciate the creature comforts and solid chassis when compared to the classic prezas joke interior (sorry).

I think the classic was such a blinding car to drive first time I think my expectations of WRX being a huge leap forward werea bit optimistic. Also, I may be guilty of a touch of the rose tinteds with the classic and I doubt I would go back.

sorry not much help is it!
Anybody else?
Old 22 July 2004, 01:08 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

I think it's fairly well accepted that, having about the same power output but a heavier body, the new car is (and certainly feels) slower than the classic. Lower noise levels and a comfier ride also make it feel less frantic.

'Fraid that if you were looking for a more focused driving experience then the STI may have been a better choice - though the WRX is still undeniably quick. There's always the PPP and a suspension kit if you want a bit more poke
Old 22 July 2004, 01:23 PM
ScoobyPugh
Scooby Regular

Default ££££££'s

Originally Posted by AndyC_772
I think it's fairly well accepted that, having about the same power output but a heavier body, the new car is (and certainly feels) slower than the classic. Lower noise levels and a comfier ride also make it feel less frantic.

'Fraid that if you were looking for a more focused driving experience then the STI may have been a better choice - though the WRX is still undeniably quick. There's always the PPP and a suspension kit if you want a bit more poke
I needed a new car because of mileage I do and therefore could not afford the STi.

Going for a Ninja 3 backbox to liven things up and that stereo has got to go!

PPP maybe- once the wife has calmed down!lol.
Old 22 July 2004, 01:49 PM
Squadron-Leader
Scooby Regular

ScoobyPugh

I traded in my MY99 UK Wagon for an MY04 WRX Wagon in March. Here's my thoughts...

a) To start with it felt slow.... to the point of me thinking "what have I done?". Having just covered 2500 miles, it's a lot quicker and loosening up nicely. I was behind a 52 plate Morgan yesterday who wanted to play. I had no trouble keeping up with him (sensible speeds) and was surprised at how easily I caught him.... though he probably was not trying that hard Pulling away fast from the lights is a lot easier as the power delivery is so much smoother. You'll be surprised how quickly you can get from standstill to 70 with a bit of practice.

b) My MY04 has more torque when you really get going. The MY99 seemed to have bags of it at lower revs, but ran out of steam too quickly. The MY04 pulls hard all the way up to the red line. There's no mad Turbo kick anymore, but you still get a bit of a push in the back.

c) The seats are nowhere near as good (less bucket like) as those in the MY99, but are very supportive if you've got back trouble.... like I have.

d) The cabin is plusher, quieter (to say the least) and the doors go thud when you shut them

e) Mine has a few rattles already from the dash area, but you can only hear them when you've got the windows shut, stereo off, fan off and driving on a hard surface.

f) The MY04 sits way too high and is a bit wobbly when taking a roundabout/corner at speed.... a spring kit/ARB upgrade would sort this.

g) Mines got a weird vibration when you touch the clutch with any gear engaged. Thought this was a major issue, but the Subaru demo cars I've driven are exactly the same and it's not got any worse since picking the car up.

h) The MY04 still likes to be warmed up before giving it any stick. Mine is a little rough in the morning if I pull off too quickly and try and use the power to soon.... just like my MY99 used to be

i) Standard brakes are not too bad, but having had a Pagid Group N+ kit on the MY99 the MY04 needs better. ABS seems a bit too eager to come in as well sometimes.

j) It eats fuel when you drive it hard! This I'm hoping will get better as the engine wears in.

All in all I think it's a better car. You'll notice the speed thing almost at once, but give it some time and it'll sort itself out. Subaru reckon up to 10000 miles before it's loosened up fully. Chuck a bit of cash at it...... remap, de-cat, back box or PPP and you'll get the BHP nearer to the standard STI..... nice

Hope that helps?

J.
Old 22 July 2004, 02:10 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

If you're thinking about going the PPP route, don't waste your money on exhaust parts now that you'll only throw away. At the very least, give the engine a few thousand miles to loosen up first.

My car (MY00) had a new engine back in February and I'd forgotten how tight a new engine was. I left it until about 2000 miles before revving it hard and it still felt decidedly asthmatic. Now it's done 8000 and it's almost back to how I remember it should be. It still has a little more to give I'm sure.
Old 22 July 2004, 03:44 PM
ScoobyPugh
Scooby Regular

Default Thanks.

Originally Posted by Squadron-Leader
ScoobyPugh

I traded in my MY99 UK Wagon for an MY04 WRX Wagon in March. Here's my thoughts...

a) To start with it felt slow.... to the point of me thinking "what have I done?". Having just covered 2500 miles, it's a lot quicker and loosening up nicely. I was behind a 52 plate Morgan yesterday who wanted to play. I had no trouble keeping up with him (sensible speeds) and was surprised at how easily I caught him.... though he probably was not trying that hard Pulling away fast from the lights is a lot easier as the power delivery is so much smoother. You'll be surprised how quickly you can get from standstill to 70 with a bit of practice.

b) My MY04 has more torque when you really get going. The MY99 seemed to have bags of it at lower revs, but ran out of steam too quickly. The MY04 pulls hard all the way up to the red line. There's no mad Turbo kick anymore, but you still get a bit of a push in the back.

c) The seats are nowhere near as good (less bucket like) as those in the MY99, but are very supportive if you've got back trouble.... like I have.

d) The cabin is plusher, quieter (to say the least) and the doors go thud when you shut them

e) Mine has a few rattles already from the dash area, but you can only hear them when you've got the windows shut, stereo off, fan off and driving on a hard surface.

f) The MY04 sits way too high and is a bit wobbly when taking a roundabout/corner at speed.... a spring kit/ARB upgrade would sort this.

g) Mines got a weird vibration when you touch the clutch with any gear engaged. Thought this was a major issue, but the Subaru demo cars I've driven are exactly the same and it's not got any worse since picking the car up.

h) The MY04 still likes to be warmed up before giving it any stick. Mine is a little rough in the morning if I pull off too quickly and try and use the power to soon.... just like my MY99 used to be

i) Standard brakes are not too bad, but having had a Pagid Group N+ kit on the MY99 the MY04 needs better. ABS seems a bit too eager to come in as well sometimes.

j) It eats fuel when you drive it hard! This I'm hoping will get better as the engine wears in.

All in all I think it's a better car. You'll notice the speed thing almost at once, but give it some time and it'll sort itself out. Subaru reckon up to 10000 miles before it's loosened up fully. Chuck a bit of cash at it...... remap, de-cat, back box or PPP and you'll get the BHP nearer to the standard STI..... nice

Hope that helps?

J.
Thanks leader.

Now I am back to being excited. Can't wait till next Weds.

Thanks Andy - never thought about the backbox issue.

Graeme