Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Other Road Users Attitudes MY98 Wagon -v- My04 STi (WR1)

Search this Thread

Old 19 July 2004, 01:36 PM
RobinSherwood
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Other Road Users Attitudes MY98 Wagon -v- My04 STi (WR1)

I am just wondering if this is just me, I have noticed a HUGE difference in other road users attitudes since I changed from my MY98 Wagon to the WR1.

Firstly I find many more drivers are agressive towards me and I suppose I can understand that due to the more agressive looks of the car.

What I find harder to understand is the more extreme response from cars you (SAFELY) overtake. Over the years I have got used to the odd driver flashing his lights when I overtake, because I presume he has assumed a Scoob has the same performance/handling envelope of his 'Vectdeo' or whatever and that I am about to kill myself when I am in fact carrying out a perfectly safe overtaking manouvere.

However since having the WR1 (and I am assuming this applies to Sti's in general) it has become ridiculous. This weekend I did two short journeys and was flashed by 3 drivers and this morning on the way to work I passed some plank in a gold C-Class estate who flashed and hooted as I passed him, then when I indicated to pass the next car he started flashing again, so thinking he might actually be tryting to tell me I had a problem with the car I lifted off only for him to come right up behind me flashing and now gesticulating at me . I am not driving any differently so WTF is this all about?

I have also noticed FAR MORE cars feel the need to either speed up or repass you when you just cruise past them on the motorway.

Am I paranoid or has anyone else noticed this sort of thing in general or more especially when changing from an older Scoob to an STi?

(Sorry guys semi rant mode now desengaged)

Robin
Old 19 July 2004, 01:51 PM
will13
Scooby Regular

I get it worse mate, I've got a Lupo GTI running nearly 160Bhp and I think a lot of people in their beemers/mondeos/vectrasetcetc seem to get an inferiority complex when they see a VW citycar fly past them, a lot of the time they try to catch up! Never had any probs when I had my classic though!
Old 19 July 2004, 04:31 PM
sti joy
Scooby Regular

what a change wagon to a wr1, i know exactly how you feel, people seem to lose all sense of safe driving when you come up behind them, they leave gaps but when they see you they make sure that they close the gap so you cant get in, then the one in front of him see you behind and they close up the gap to their car and so it goes on, my wife says we might as well put a great big bulls eye on the boot and a sign on the front to drive like tossers when you see me coming up behind you.
Old 19 July 2004, 05:22 PM
RobinSherwood
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by will13
I get it worse mate, I've got a Lupo GTI running nearly 160Bhp and I think a lot of people in their beemers/mondeos/vectrasetcetc seem to get an inferiority complex when they see a VW citycar fly past them, a lot of the time they try to catch up! Never had any probs when I had my classic though!
Know what you mean Will, I can relate to that from when I used to drive a 125bhp '91 Mini Cooper as my daily driver.

Robin
Old 19 July 2004, 05:23 PM
RobinSherwood
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sti joy
what a change wagon to a wr1, i know exactly how you feel, people seem to lose all sense of safe driving when you come up behind them, they leave gaps but when they see you they make sure that they close the gap so you cant get in, then the one in front of him see you behind and they close up the gap to their car and so it goes on, my wife says we might as well put a great big bulls eye on the boot and a sign on the front to drive like tossers when you see me coming up behind you.
Hi sti joy

Thanks for the reply, glad it is not just me, feel far better now
lol

Robin
Old 19 July 2004, 05:41 PM
Soulgirl
Scooby Regular

I think our STi's are like an invitation for sour-grapes Drat! That just reminded me of my road-rage run-in with the tampon collector
Old 19 July 2004, 06:29 PM
greg.g
Scooby Regular

Location: Faster than a quickshift.... get yourself a bionic arm ;)

I have got an MY98 wagon.

I will do a swap back if you want
Old 19 July 2004, 07:34 PM
Andy-pay
Scooby Regular

yep, happens all the time mate.

once overtook a lorry on a long straight A-road, and as I overtook the car in front as well, he went mad - flashing waving etc, even thought there was about a mile straight left, and no cars coming.

put it down to most other people not realising you can pass them.

anyway, thought it was a british passtime hating being overtaken!

used to happen in my bugeye WRX as well, but not as bad as the STi - must be the spoiler or something.

andy (MY03 STi PPP)
Old 19 July 2004, 08:38 PM
JFB
Scooby Regular

Wink

Same here

MY00 Wagon to STI8PPP plus grief!
Old 19 July 2004, 10:39 PM
type R boy
Scooby Regular

again same here went from a 110bhp golf gttdi to a P1 and the aggression shown towards me know is untrue, every1 wants to race me, never had that problem when overtaking in the golf . But now when overtaking it always comes with the oblicatory hand gesture.

TBR
Old 19 July 2004, 10:45 PM
chris's scooby
Scooby Regular

I've found it as well having just changed from my WRX to the WR1, i think it's got something to do with the spoiler as i never had any problems on my WRX.

The other problem is other drivers don't leave enough of a gap between them and the car in front so it's rarely safe to over take these days anyway.
Old 20 July 2004, 03:11 AM
The Grift
Scooby Regular

Ive always had a problem in my classic, noticed it from day one. People always wanna come up behind, push me, see what my car can do(usually chavs). I just have great fun slowing down then leaving them, annoys them no end, he he
Old 20 July 2004, 08:29 AM
SteelX
Scooby Regular

Happened to me when I got my Classic tbh (not Wagon). Was a little taken back at first with all the single fingers, flashing lights and general disregard for me and my little motor.

Can't say it's got any worse since I got the WR1, but then I mentally tuned it out ages ago so don't pay much attention to it now.

"If you have got the time to punch your horn diude, you ain't in trouble or danger OK? Go find another pasttime..."

What's also funny is I am a real stickler for 30 in a 30 (and 20 when near schools or in built up estates where there may be kids around) and this really pees people off. *shrugs*

Steel
Old 20 July 2004, 08:38 AM
gravelexpress
Scooby Regular

I've got a Lupo GTI running nearly 160Bhp
Jeezus!!!! They only weigh in at 2 bags of sugar and a tin of peas - how quick does it go?
Old 20 July 2004, 08:39 AM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes with out a doubt the spoiler and scoop tends to bring out the worst in other road users.
Old 20 July 2004, 08:50 AM
Old_Fart
Scooby Regular

'tis far worse in a bright yellow 911 than a 22B though, so take heart!
Cman
Old 20 July 2004, 08:51 AM
chrome
Scooby Regular

I can identify with all the comments...
I find that now my car has a lot more power, but looks the same I also get lots of flashing and gesturing when I do overtake as the TeD (TimeExposedtoDanger) when overtaking is now a LOT smaller that it used to be.. I know I can make it or I wouldnt overtake, but other people seem to panic as they assume I cant make it

Hey Steel- so you stepped up to a WR1? nice one
Old 20 July 2004, 08:56 AM
Vonzack
Scooby Regular

I've had similar reactions from drivers in a standard MY03 WRX, you pass safely and it just seems to tip some people over the edge.

It does annoy me though that the ones who react seem to be drivers who have no regard for speed limits or the white lines painted on the road. These are the people who sit in judgement of me when I overtake safely!

We're all just demographically challenged
Old 20 July 2004, 09:51 AM
RobinSherwood
Scooby Regular

Thanks again for the replies guys, at leat I know I am not being paranoid now

greg.g - Still trying to sell my 98 Wagon (PPP, Leather, Aircon, P1 wheels, Eibachs, bumpsteer mod, Sti wings - SHAMELESS PLUG lol)

Steel.X - Yes I am the same as you about urban/village speed limits and slowing down when you clearly need to - outside a school for instance - and you are right it does seem to wind people up. What really gets me is the plank who overtakes you in the 30 even though you have just passed him on the A Road oblivious to the fact that you are clearly going to be travelling faster then him/her as soon as it is safe to do so. Irony is of course they undoubtedly think I am the dangerous driver and they are driving safely

Old_Fart - I don't find the aggression as bad when driving a 'supercar', it does happen occasionally but it is not as bad from other drivers as it is with the WR1. Maybe they are still in aftershock from the exhaust noise when I pass them so they are too stunned to flash their lights or gesticulate..... Pedestrians, now that is another matter - why when you are driving along minding your own business do pedestrians feel the need to hurl abuse at you because you are driving a supercar.

So finally yes it seems to be the scoop and the spoiler just tip some people over the edge, which does question if they should be driving if they are concentrating on that rather than the road ahead.

Regards to all

Robin

Last edited by RobinSherwood; 20 July 2004 at 09:55 AM.
Old 20 July 2004, 12:37 PM
J4CK50N
Scooby Regular

Location: From : somewhere between here & there - also at wyioc.co.uk - are you?

I have found that people are more scared of my car instead of wanting to get angry with me.

I get people pulling over for no reason so I can go past them, people flashing me out of junctions when there is no need and people generally waving or smiling if you happen to make eye contact.

I have found that the responses and experiences noted from others in this thread is more the case when I have to use my girlfriends Saxo VTS. i.e. people always wanting to race, people sitting on my bumper etc

Just my 2p worth

Oh and my Impreza is just a standardish looking Type R

Cheers

J4CK50N
Old 20 July 2004, 01:02 PM
jasey
Scooby Senior

I'd always assumed that I was simply passing more lorry drivers (driving their cars) who where simply letting me know it was safe to pull back in and that they were "waving" at me to be polite - Have never noticed the actual hand gestures as I'm usually to far away to see .

Most flashers are the nobends who drive at 50 everywhere and sit approx 10 feet of the **** of the car in front and making no "serious" attempt to overtake (until you do !!!!).

Ho hum - Granparents need to drive too you know .

ps I don't tend to have any problems with people coming up behind me (With the odd exception of Bikes & the "Spirited" Evo driver who lives out Banchory way .
Old 20 July 2004, 01:15 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

There are a lot of old fogies in my town so I get the lights and the shaking fist quite a lot!

I think its due to the following:-

a) they cannot comprehend the fact that other people want to go faster than 26 mph, because 26mph is the extent of THEIR driving abilities

b) they cannot comprehend the fact that some cars are fast enough to come up behind them in between their half hourly check in the rear view mirror!

c) they cannot comprehend the fact that some cars are fast enough to safely overtake something that they themselves would happily sit behind at 26 mph for miles and miles

d) they cannot comprehend that people would rather spend what life they have left AT their destination, rather than spending it GETTING there!

Whatever it is they just get a cheerful wave back from me as I disappear into the distance!
Old 20 July 2004, 01:18 PM
jasey
Scooby Senior

What do you mean
Old 20 July 2004, 03:39 PM
eyeMAJIC
Scooby Regular

A thread I can DEFINITELY relate to.....

....have just changed from a new model Toyota Land Cruiser (LC4) to a MY04 STI.....

People don't realise that you can pass in 2-3 seconds, and they assume that you are going to continue on up the road at 100mph+ and kill yourself, blocking the road, impeding their onward journey....

One thing that helps (a little) is keeping the headlights on all the time.... at least people (usually) see you pulling out that way.....
Old 20 July 2004, 05:12 PM
cong
Scooby Regular

yep i get the same thing .........i was down a country lane when a audi tt, bmw 328, where stuck behind this peugeot 405 doing 50mph.....i overtook the whole lot in my 1 litre micra all three where honking and flashing. funny though as i look left i saw the shock on there faces as i overtook the whole lot of them in my mirca....then as we hit a duel carriage way the audi caught up and overtook me at about 100mph ..........people dont like being overtakin, even my self i dont like being overtaken but if its safe to do so then why not!
Old 20 July 2004, 05:22 PM
rossi_p
Scooby Regular

Smile

I find that since I got the Scoob I get a lot less hassle. Previously I found more people sitting on my rear bumper, pulling out in front of me, flashing wanting to race etc etc. Now I get a lot less grief..... Might have something to do with previous cars being more of the hot hatch kinda cars ; )
Old 20 July 2004, 05:38 PM
RobinSherwood
Scooby Regular

Different answers, different opinions, but all in the spririt of the thread. This is how Scoobynet should be. Thanks guys.

Robin
Old 20 July 2004, 07:54 PM
scoobimax
Scooby Regular

I think this is more to do with moving from a Wagon to a saloon. I find folks far more agressive in my MY99 saloon than I ever did in our old MY96 Wagon and now in our 04 Wagon.

Max
Old 20 July 2004, 08:33 PM
aceman_uk
Scooby Regular

Robin...

U mention that you moved from an STi to a WR1 (wish I could)...

I have owned my first Scoob for about, lets say 7 months....Its a MY98 UK WR Sport....AND I Must say It turns heads visually and sound LUV IT!!!

Back to the thread lol I GET this all the time....Mondeos ST24, ST220 Vauxhalls, Corrado VR6, Beemers (330Ci) and everything else that has 4 wheels, except those that are really driving "MONEY NO PROBLEM" cars...

Tailgate, Lights ablaze when u overtake, hand gestures...Sometimes it has got 2 me and Road-Rage takes over but most of the time ...I JUST SMILE...Apparently it pisses them off even more.

Alternatively...I will let them pass after their verbal abuse and FLASH My PIAA Fogs That'll teach em...Wheres my shades gone??? LOL

Aceman
Old 20 July 2004, 09:16 PM
Chins
Scooby Regular

My take : after a few glases of vino!!

I have found exactly the same as you. Been noted on here before, but in the last five years, Ive had 20-30 cars

Ive driven the same way home each night from the office in all cars. I can drive my Clio like a Chav/baseball bat guy and nothing. Take a Scooby or a 350Z and its like Blackpool illuminations. A Q car is what is needed. The WR1 with its slightly effeminent colour will attract lots of drivers wanting to date you.

Some cars just like highlights from behind. Old Fart has missed it in his XT

Jonathan

Quick Reply: Other Road Users Attitudes MY98 Wagon -v- My04 STi (WR1)