TRACK EVALUATION OF PPP PRIOR TO PURCHASE

Search this Thread

Old 16 July 2004, 07:14 PM
GRIFF007
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question TRACK EVALUATION OF PPP PRIOR TO PURCHASE

RE THREAD OF DRIVING WR1 AT CASTLE COOMBE -

Ive spent several weeks contacting Mike at Prodrive, Subaru I.M. and my local dealers trying to get some track time in a Prodrive car, prior to purchase and nobody seems interested - I just get passed from pillar to post - anyone have a contact that has an interest? - These events seem to come and go without invitation, despite genuine declared interest. - Spoke to Mike again last week - no mention that a couple of days later he was providing exactly what I was looking for......

Mike is a very nice chap, however I am still no closer to evaluating the car properly. - As much as I have always wanted a Scooby, I am not sure I am happy with all its compromises as an everyday car if its capabilites cannot be evaluated in a safe environment, in such a way as to outweigh the drawbacks (eg fuel, look at me looks, hard ride etc.)

Can any one point out a helpful dealer - I am in the Midlands, but dont mind travelling to an obliging dealer - Looking to buy a 1 yr old STi PPP in a few months - unless there are any good 04 stock clearance prices....

I really want a Scooby - can any one keep my enthusiasm going or should I add £5k for an M3 and go and get ignored at a BMW garage......??!
Old 16 July 2004, 07:41 PM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

try treddington garage at shipston on stour. they have about 5-6 turbos for sale at anyone time. one of these must have the ppp. give them a call - they can only say no.
Old 16 July 2004, 07:50 PM
wakeboardar
Scooby Regular

dont think ive ever heard of anyone being given track time in a car before the buy it

why not have a spin on the road like the rest of us
i have an 04 sti ppp and it lives up to every thing i wanted

waky
Old 16 July 2004, 07:52 PM
wakeboardar
Scooby Regular

by the way there are a few 03 sti`s going for about 19k on this board at the minute
Old 16 July 2004, 08:29 PM
GRIFF007
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jjones
try treddington garage at shipston on stour. they have about 5-6 turbos for sale at anyone time. one of these must have the ppp. give them a call - they can only say no.
Thanks - I have road tested several STi PPP, but out of respect for the garage and commonsense, I did not push it around corners and it is this that seperates Scoobies from similar high performance cars
Old 16 July 2004, 08:31 PM
GRIFF007
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wakeboardar
by the way there are a few 03 sti`s going for about 19k on this board at the minute
Thanks - gathering funds at present and hope to buy a pre PPP converted car.

I love them (other than innitial spool up problem when pulling away) it is just that I would like to appreciate their cornering characteristics before choosing one over the many used £20k alternatives
Old 16 July 2004, 08:45 PM
Echo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jjones
Ask for John Mathers there, if you're lucky he will take you for a spin (he is very good!) before letting you take it out for a while on your own. You'll be well looked after by them.

Mike
Old 16 July 2004, 08:48 PM
njkmr
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GRIFF007
Thanks - gathering funds at present and hope to buy a pre PPP converted car.

I love them (other than innitial spool up problem when pulling away) it is just that I would like to appreciate their cornering characteristics before choosing one over the many used £20k alternatives
To be honest the dealers sell them for use on the road,they dont always encourage track use but some dealers turn a blind eye to it.I dont think any will be rushing to give you a free track day.If your a fair driver,you will have no issues with it on the roads.
Old 16 July 2004, 08:59 PM
GRIFF007
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RecordProduction.com
Ask for John Mathers there, if you're lucky he will take you for a spin (he is very good!) before letting you take it out for a while on your own. You'll be well looked after by them.

Mike
Thanks Mike

John took me out for a drive in his PPP, unfortunately this was my first re-aquaintance with a Scoob for a few years and I was somewhat overwhelmed! - Subsequent drives were a bit of a let down.

I have asked Jon several times re. joining one of the many trackdays, but unfortuantely no reply..
Old 16 July 2004, 09:01 PM
GRIFF007
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by njkmr
To be honest the dealers sell them for use on the road,they dont always encourage track use but some dealers turn a blind eye to it.I dont think any will be rushing to give you a free track day.If your a fair driver,you will have no issues with it on the roads.
Evaluation is mainly for road of course, however I do not feel comfortable in a 15 min learning curve on public roads........
Old 16 July 2004, 09:15 PM
njkmr
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Evaluation is mainly for road of course, however I do not feel comfortable in a 15 min learning curve on public roads........
Understandable,you do need more than 15 mins for sure, for a test drive before handing over your hard earned.My local dealer let me have several drives over time,and didnt mind me giving it stick,in fact he encouraged it without egging me on to braking the law.You do need to be sure,that it is what you want ,and it is,you just dont know it yet!!!!!!!!!!
Old 16 July 2004, 09:21 PM
GRIFF007
Scooby Regular

Understandable,you do need more than 15 mins for sure, for a test drive before handing over your hard earned.My local dealer let me have several drives over time,and didnt mind me giving it stick,in fact he encouraged it without egging me on to braking the law.You do need to be sure,that it is what you want ,and it is,you just dont know it yet!!!!!!!!!!

I suspect I do really!! - What have you got and how would you list its pros and cons?

I first fell in love with an Sti 6 R in silver with extra quick rack and scoobysport exhaust --- mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm - I wish I had bought it, however it had just had a piston replaced which didnt bode well considering it was a blueprint build at the factory! - It felt and looked fabulous - I have to say the modern shape is very much a compromise - then their is that dragster scoop.........!!
Old 16 July 2004, 09:37 PM
njkmr
Scooby Regular

I suspect I do really!! - What have you got and how would you list its pros and cons?

I first fell in love with an Sti 6 R in silver with extra quick rack and scoobysport exhaust --- mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm - I wish I had bought it, however it had just had a piston replaced which didnt bode well considering it was a blueprint build at the factory! - It felt and looked fabulous - I have to say the modern shape is very much a compromise - then their is that dragster scoop.........!!
I have just got a wr1 after having an rb5(non wr version) for five years.I am delighted with the car.It covers everything I need .Performance is fantastic,the wife is comfortable driving it,the kids are comfortable in it(until there noses are stuck to the side windows around roundabouts).I and everyone I have spoken thinks it looks great.
I have no downsides really,its the only car I have bought twice,I normally have something different,each time.
Old 16 July 2004, 09:42 PM
GRIFF007
Scooby Regular

I have just got a wr1 after having an rb5(non wr version) for five years.I am delighted with the car.It covers everything I need .Performance is fantastic,the wife is comfortable driving it,the kids are comfortable in it(until there noses are stuck to the side windows around roundabouts).I and everyone I have spoken thinks it looks great.
I have no downsides really,its the only car I have bought twice,I normally have something different,each time.
I agree the WR1 is individual and attractive - what about road comfort as an everyday car and also for cruising up and down the motorway?
Old 16 July 2004, 09:53 PM
njkmr
Scooby Regular

I agree the WR1 is individual and attractive - what about road comfort as an everyday car and also for cruising up and down the motorway?
It is used everyday,although when going to work in it its only a couple of miles.Firm ride ,but not backbreaking or anything.Down the motorway,noisier than the rb5,but at legal speeds its fine.The sound when booting it is a pleasure to behold,the howl makes the hairs stand up on the back of my neck.I am one happy man honestly.I am not a not a breakneck speed driver,but I like to enjoy the blast where permitted,every now and then.It has been a bit more just lately tho!!!
Old 16 July 2004, 10:07 PM
GRIFF007
Scooby Regular

It is used everyday,although when going to work in it its only a couple of miles.Firm ride ,but not backbreaking or anything.Down the motorway,noisier than the rb5,but at legal speeds its fine.The sound when booting it is a pleasure to behold,the howl makes the hairs stand up on the back of my neck.I am one happy man honestly.I am not a not a breakneck speed driver,but I like to enjoy the blast where permitted,every now and then.It has been a bit more just lately tho!!!

Enjoy! - what sort of fuel consumption are you getting?

So many women love this car - I cant see why - surely its a man's toy????!!
Old 16 July 2004, 10:19 PM
njkmr
Scooby Regular

Enjoy! - what sort of fuel consumption are you getting?

So many women love this car - I cant see why - surely its a man's toy????!!
To be honest,I dont know yet because it is only just run in.I have only just reset the trip meter tonight with 25 quids worth of Optimax in.I will let you know what mileage I get out of that.
The rb5 did about 140 miles to 20 quids worth if I took it easy with normal unleaded.If I get similar with wr1 on 25 quids worth of Optimax I will be happy.
But to be honest I dont expect to reach 100 miles because everyone I know now wants a demo ride in the car at full pelt!!
Old 16 July 2004, 10:33 PM
GRIFF007
Scooby Regular

To be honest,I dont know yet because it is only just run in.I have only just reset the trip meter tonight with 25 quids worth of Optimax in.I will let you know what mileage I get out of that.
The rb5 did about 140 miles to 20 quids worth if I took it easy with normal unleaded.If I get similar with wr1 on 25 quids worth of Optimax I will be happy.
But to be honest I dont expect to reach 100 miles because everyone I know now wants a demo ride in the car at full pelt!!

should be interesting - perhaps you can report performance and fuel at various mileages - most people say it takes over 5k miles to loosen up
Old 16 July 2004, 10:58 PM
chris's scooby
Scooby Regular

My WR1 is doing about 23 to the gallon whilst i'm running it in although most of the has been around town. Going to take it on a 300 mile round trip tomorrow to clock up the 1st 1000 miles.

I should add that it's just as economical( or not) as my MY02 WRX but it's a lot more drivable. And just as comfortable which is no bad thing as at one point i was doing 800 miles a week in the WRX.
Old 16 July 2004, 11:26 PM
GRIFF007
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chris's scooby
My WR1 is doing about 23 to the gallon whilst i'm running it in although most of the has been around town. Going to take it on a 300 mile round trip tomorrow to clock up the 1st 1000 miles.

I should add that it's just as economical( or not) as my MY02 WRX but it's a lot more drivable. And just as comfortable which is no bad thing as at one point i was doing 800 miles a week in the WRX.
OK - keep us posted please - have fun!
Old 16 July 2004, 11:55 PM
Echo
Scooby Regular

I have asked Jon several times re. joining one of the many trackdays, but unfortuantely no reply..
They can be a bit forgetful down there, why not call and hassle?! He set one up for me a few years ago which was great.

Mike
Old 17 July 2004, 12:08 AM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I owned a MY99Uk and then wanted a new Subaru,

Simular to the WR1 boy's, I bought my MY02 Bugeye STi before I'd even drove one myself there were no demonstrators I was taken out by an owner in a new one with under 1k miles on the clock

I ordered one, you think the spool up is bad on the MY04's the MY02STi's were cronic, nothing till 4Krpm then broke your neck. i waited about 7 month's before PPP was developed for then fitted to the Car and boy did it need it.

PPP is Firstly a 3year fully Warranty performance upgrade. It makes the car more drivable it does not turn a Lamb into a Wolf or a Road car into a Track Car

If you want a Newage, STD WRX or STD Sti and add PPP making into a Track car I think your taking the wrong route IMHO If you wanted 4WD and a Subaru Trackday car, would be far better of with a Classic type 'R' up do it up and have change

IMHO IIRC etc

Tony
Old 17 July 2004, 11:50 AM
GRIFF007
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by T5NYW
I owned a MY99Uk and then wanted a new Subaru,

Simular to the WR1 boy's, I bought my MY02 Bugeye STi before I'd even drove one myself there were no demonstrators I was taken out by an owner in a new one with under 1k miles on the clock

I ordered one, you think the spool up is bad on the MY04's the MY02STi's were cronic, nothing till 4Krpm then broke your neck. i waited about 7 month's before PPP was developed for then fitted to the Car and boy did it need it.

PPP is Firstly a 3year fully Warranty performance upgrade. It makes the car more drivable it does not turn a Lamb into a Wolf or a Road car into a Track Car

If you want a Newage, STD WRX or STD Sti and add PPP making into a Track car I think your taking the wrong route IMHO If you wanted 4WD and a Subaru Trackday car, would be far better of with a Classic type 'R' up do it up and have change

IMHO IIRC etc

Tony
no, not looking for a track car - just fast, safe road car - just need the track for safety during evaluation!!
Old 17 July 2004, 02:41 PM
Steve777
Scooby Senior

If you want to use an Sti on the track, why buy an Sti ???? They ain't track day cars regardless of what some may think on here.

Buy a Caterham or a westie!!!

Tracked my Sti PPP twice this year. They are heavy on brakes and tryres on a track so you are better off hiring a Caterham off book a track for the day.

Top car though point to point across country. Mine has PPP and Prodrive suspension and boy do I enjoy it
Old 17 July 2004, 02:58 PM
GRIFF007
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Steve777
If you want to use an Sti on the track, why buy an Sti ???? They ain't track day cars regardless of what some may think on here.

Buy a Caterham or a westie!!!

Tracked my Sti PPP twice this year. They are heavy on brakes and tryres on a track so you are better off hiring a Caterham off book a track for the day.

Top car though point to point across country. Mine has PPP and Prodrive suspension and boy do I enjoy it
Hi, as I say above - it wont be used for trackdays - just feel more comfortable roadtesting the handling with more space!

How do you think the ride comfort differs with and without various PPP suspension / wheel changes?
Old 17 July 2004, 05:16 PM
achad
Scooby Regular

Hi, as I say above - it wont be used for trackdays - just feel more comfortable roadtesting the handling with more space!
I can understand the 'more space' bit but i don't understand why you are so intent to test the car on a track. The track isn't what the car is designed for and as you have stated isn't what you want it for. A smooth track, i would imagine, would not be representative of what the car is like on the road and its the road where the car will be used is it not? A prolonged road test untill you have made up your mind is surly the logical way to go.

I'm sure ppl like Mike Wood would prefer to show off the likes of the WR1 on the road (since thats what it's designed for, but lets not get into that one again hey) but because of the legal restrictions the track is the only sensible place to show what the cars can do.

All imo
Old 17 July 2004, 10:57 PM
chris's scooby
Scooby Regular

OK - keep us posted please - have fun!
Managed to get nearly 25mpg today :-) Better than my WRX! Mixture of using the throttle a bit on the motorway an v slow town driving, as well as some A and B roads.

It pulls very well in 6th, made me laugh out loud!
Old 17 July 2004, 11:16 PM
P.Cole
Scooby Regular

25 mpg is it a diesel
Old 17 July 2004, 11:26 PM
chris's scooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by P.Cole
25 mpg is it a diesel
I'll try a bit harder when its run in. I think i read Steelx got 30 mpg running his WR1 in.
Old 18 July 2004, 02:25 AM
ben44
Scooby Regular

no, not looking for a track car - just fast, safe road car - just need the track for safety during evaluation!!
Hmm, why do you want a track test if you have no intentions of going on a track day and no intentions of driving quick on public roads????

Quick Reply: TRACK EVALUATION OF PPP PRIOR TO PURCHASE