Sponsored by:

bike rack for my scooby

Search this Thread

Old 13 July 2004, 11:54 AM
borich
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bike rack for my scooby

I have a 93 wrx and am in need of a bike rack for my car as im going on a biking holiday 2 cornwall in august, I need a bike rack which will hold 3 bikes, anyone got any links or know if thats possible on my scooby.

Borich
Old 13 July 2004, 01:55 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Thumbs up

I carry 4 mountain bikes on a classic Scoob, long distances, (right from northern England to southern France.)

I've tried all the others, but now swear by roof bars with PROPER bike carriers.

I know it ain't cheap, but the bikes are carried safely, and rigidly, I can still get into the boot, and the petrol consumption is the best of all three methods, the worst being the boot-rack carrier, according to Which? magazine.

I'd suggest you bite the bullet and have a trip to Halfrauds or look on the net for roof-racks, many companies do bike carriers as well.

I have three upright carriers and a wheel-out type, which clamps the front wheel of my son's trials bike as the downtube is an odd shape.

Alcazar
Old 13 July 2004, 03:07 PM
Clive the Brave
Scooby Regular

I use the high bike rack for 2or3 mountain bikes on a golf gti and watch the onboard computer, starts to cry out,,,,,, 9mpg, sometimes I get a little more so the scooby will eat, eat and keep eating the fule if you think about putting a high bike rack or anything on the roof bars...... unless you have a fule card. Lucky me :>)

Trust me......... the safest is getting the tow bar fitted and the bike rack attachment (most expencive) but it saves the paint work, accidents trying to get the bikes on and off. Also watch out for the sponge that goes against the bumper and the windows on the rear rack,,,,, this will leave marks if your carrying 3 bikes, extra padding is required.

If it's a full on biking holiday with the Guys then rent a van, thats the only way to go, might even turn out to be the cheepest after taking in to account the fuel saving and the damage to your car.

Oh, you can get more beer in a van as well :>)))

:>)
Old 13 July 2004, 05:30 PM
Mark Miwurdz
Scooby Regular

Concur with both of these guys - it all depends how deep your pockets are. The towbar option would be my preferred route but then again, you may not want to fit one on your car. If that's the way you want to go, get onto eBay and do a search on Thule. There's one of their towbar mounted jobs for sale at the moment.

I've just picked up a 2nd hand pair of roof bars for my 5 series and I'm going to get the 575 Thule carrier from Halfords. It's a 2-pack deal for £49.

Forget these things that are held on with bungies and webbing - they'll scratch your paintwork and bugger your boot up.

Cheers
Kav