Sponsored by:

Everyone please read this. Re:Stolen Cars

Search this Thread

Old 13 July 2004, 12:35 AM
scrappydoo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Everyone please read this. Re:Stolen Cars

Moderators if you could keep this thread up for a while it will get out to more peeps.

Now every other month, not only on scoobynet but others as well, there seems to be a car that goes missing, whether it be a Subaru/Evo/Type R etc.. so i thought that it would be a good idea as soon as a car has been TWOC'ed and reported to the police that the owner should also post it up asap and any people in the immediate area should go out in their cars and look for the vehicle in question, then, if they see it they can inform the police of its whereabouts. Liken it if you will, to a giant neighbourhood-watch scheme. I think its a good idea but to make it work people will have to make the effort and go out in search rather than just keep an eye out (Maybe the owner could offer some sort of incentive!!) There's nothing worse than reporting your pride and joy stolen and leaving it with an undermanned police force to deal with. This way it increases the probability of getting your car back and catching the scum in the act. What do you guys think? Use this community (as well as other car BBS's) to our advantage.

Jono
Old 13 July 2004, 12:43 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

i dont see your point?

yiour telling people to do exactly what there allready doing??
Old 13 July 2004, 12:55 AM
scrappydoo
Scooby Regular

Ummm, im not though mate if you read my post again. I wonder how many people who say they will look out for a stolen car actually go out and look for it? I bet most who are at home just type that then go and watch tv and forget about it.

Im just saying that we all should participate alot more rather than just a few replies stating that they will keep their eyes open.

Jono
Old 13 July 2004, 01:04 AM
scrappydoo
Scooby Regular

Also i think when the post goes up that the moderators should make an issue of it like maybe have a seprate section or a newsflash type area (something that stands out better). I believe the americans have the same idea for when kids go missing/abducted. They have an instant news flash on tv all around america giving info out to the general public straight away. Why not adapt it for our cars?

Last edited by scrappydoo; 13 July 2004 at 01:06 AM.
Old 13 July 2004, 01:06 AM
keevster
Scooby Regular

See your point in a way mate. But come on. Realistically 99% of these cars nicked you will never see again. £20k+ cars are not usually nicked by small time joy riders, they are nicked for a reason, usually an order. They are taken from you and directly stripped within the hour, or left in a busy but discrete location for a couple of days, or shipped into a container, never to be detected or seen again until they arrive in there new country?
Old 13 July 2004, 01:11 AM
scrappydoo
Scooby Regular

Hi keevster

I see what you mean mate but you know as well as i do how slow the police are when it comes to response time after you have reported a crime. It sometimes takes them days. The thieves still have to drive the car to a destination dont they?
Old 13 July 2004, 01:15 AM
keevster
Scooby Regular

If we employed your idea mate, you'd spend most of your spare time looking for these cars. We all have a life, and if it was my car, i'd probably comb the country looking for it too, but realistically(needle in haystack springs to mind).

However as you said, good to keep an eye out anyway.

Tell you's a story. Girlfriends car nicked several years ago. I checked every dodgy hang out in my area. Checked for hours on hours, no luck. Started checking the dodgy car dealers and breaker yards. Result. Watched her car being forklifted behind a wooden hut. At this point was still reported stolen. I called the old bill and stated to them, blah blah blah, i have spotted my Gfriends stolen car. The boys in blue took around 3 minutes from the call, all lights blazing, sirens going the works. Stormed into the place and arrested the guy in the forklift. RESULT, Not. the Guy worked for the police recovering stolen vehicles. What a pleb i felt and the officers attending?. Got a rap accross the knuckles for that one and was told to get my facts right first. So from that point i have left the cops to do there job and i will concentrate on my career. After all thats why we pay insurance.

Paul

Trending Topics

Old 13 July 2004, 01:25 AM
scrappydoo
Scooby Regular

lol Dont mean to laugh mate but that was funny.

What you decribe in your post about the cops arriving in 3mins is typical. If you ring them and report it they take forever but if you ring them and tell them you are actually witnessing the act then they are there in a shot, well most of the time. The same could be applied if you are following the named car (on scoobynet). At least they would respond quick,rather than just giving up hope thinking its half way round the world in some crate.

Anyway it was just an idea i was toying with.

Jono
Old 13 July 2004, 01:26 AM
keevster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scrappydoo
Hi keevster

I see what you mean mate but you know as well as i do how slow the police are when it comes to response time after you have reported a crime. It sometimes takes them days. The thieves still have to drive the car to a destination dont they?

Yes mate the thieves still have to drive the car to a location, but by the time you notice its been stolen and posting on scoobynet is the last thing on your mind, the car is a cut and shut? When your car in nicked at 3am, scoobynet is the last thing on yer mind. Believe me, unless they are complete novice tossers your car is gone, unless your tracker can pinpoint the location. In my experience small time tossers dont go after A grade stuff, they stick to run of the mill easy entrance(non tracker) vehicles. Guys who target Grade A stuff, have more knowledge of impreza's and evo's than we will ever have. Thats why they make a living out of it. If we had some statistics to look at, i think i would prove my point about how many Grade A cars are recovered?

Paul
Old 13 July 2004, 01:35 AM
scrappydoo
Scooby Regular

Good point Paul, but i am sure i have seen posts on here from owners 1 hour after their car has been nicked, I know i would like to make it common knowlegde to as many as possible including the police, it cant hurt and as the saying goes, 'many hands make light work' thus decreasing the odds for the crim-scum to evade capture.

Last edited by scrappydoo; 13 July 2004 at 01:37 AM.
Old 13 July 2004, 01:36 AM
keevster
Scooby Regular

I know what you mean mate. Would love a full time job chasing these hobo's. However i think it could bring you a fair bit of probs. Chasing gangsters around in your scoob giving a running commentary would not be good. Yes its the same old story, if they think they have a definite collar no elbow grease involved they are happy to flash there blue's. I know in the real world its a next day event if a reported theft.

When chasing the Gfriends car i felt like 00 bloody 7. On the blower to the cops and staring the forklift guy in the face. He looked as guilty as F--k, which made me even more confident. Said to myself, got this ******. How wrong can you be?

Paul
Old 13 July 2004, 01:42 AM
scrappydoo
Scooby Regular

lmao@Paul 007 Still it was a mega easy mistake to make. I would of gone in guns blazing too dont worry Great story though.

I would also love to chase these so called gansters and give a running commentary but knowing my luck the police would do me for using my mobile whilst driving. lol That would be typical of the system today wouldnt it?
Old 13 July 2004, 01:48 AM
keevster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scrappydoo
lmao@Paul 007 Still it was a mega easy mistake to make. I would of gone in guns blazing too dont worry Great story though.

I would also love to chase these so called gansters and give a running commentary but knowing my luck the police would do me for using my mobile whilst driving. lol That would be typical of the system today wouldnt it?
Thats the way it is mate. someone trying to do a good turn. Pays to sit in the background for a while, sus the situation. I've learned that mate with experience.
anyways past my bedtime now. I'll be up at 7am on the prowl for boosters.
If i get a nice ride i'll drop ye a post?lol.

Paul
Old 13 July 2004, 01:54 AM
scrappydoo
Scooby Regular

Yeh nite mate, Im off out now to patrol the streets lol Watch out crim-scum.

laters mate

Jono
Old 13 July 2004, 04:55 AM
DJ WATTS
Scooby Regular

I see your point slightly but no one is going to go looking for other peoples cars now i dont think...
However a full on post up on various forums asking for people to keep their eyes peeled and it can and has done good in the past.

I seem to recall a mitsu eclipse going missing a few months back and thanks to some great posting by the owner/friend of the involved all over the net the car was traced and found and even scoobynet got a mention somewhere for doing so...

Maybe the moderators/admin could set up a specific forum entitled "lost and found" where owners that have had their car stolen or parts off their car stolen can post information and if other bbs do this too then i can see this being a benefit for everyone.