Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Resetting ECU

Search this Thread

Old 10 July 2000, 06:43 PM
Robb
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have been the proud owner of a 99MY Scooby for 4 days, 400 miles and about 20mpg. All I can say is AWESOME!!! Why didn't I buy one years ago!

I have read about resetting the ECU and using only SUL petrol, which the previous owner didn't do. When I toon my car for its second service today, I asked the dealer (CVC Cardiff) to reset the ECU. They refused? Is this normal?

Can anyone comment on whether the ECU on a MY99 scooby can be reset by disconnecting the battery? Is this likely to cause any problems?

Regards

Robb
Old 10 July 2000, 08:23 PM
gregh
Scooby Regular

some say ecu reset works, as many say it doesn't!
Old 10 July 2000, 10:14 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

When i asked my garage about resetting the ECU, they said "we've got a very expensive machine to do that, and it all takes a couple of hours".

I guess that they didn't know (or want to admit) about the pair of wires below the steering column. Search the archives for details - there must be several entries on how to do it (and whether it is worth it to switch to SUL).

mb
Old 10 July 2000, 11:21 PM
simes
Scooby Regular

Welcome to the fold!

I've had my MY99 for a few months now and had similar questions to you.

I've been down the same route as you re ECU reset, and I decided that it wouldn't make much difference, allegedly the MY99 ECU doesn't really need it, could be wrong tho.

I do run mine on SUL, tho a lot of people seem happy enough on regular. I think the car runs better for it, and I think, tho I haven't really measured it it gets a few more MPG, don't know if that makes up for the extra cost. Doesn't add any noticeable power tho. I'm going to treat mine to a few Scoobysnax soon so I may as well get used to the extra expense!

A few things to bear in mind:

The weather does make a difference to performance, hurray for crap summers!

Pootling around does seem to take the edge of performance, so make sure you give it (her/him?) a good thrash on a regular basis (as if you needed the excuse!). I personally don't understand this since I would have thought that driving in such understressed conditions wouldn't cause the ECU to intervene too much, I'm sure more enlightened people will be able to explain.

Make sure you keep it yours, disclocks and/or barrier deadlocks are popular on this site.

Anyway, happy motoring , hope to see you on a track day.

Cheers

Simon
Old 10 July 2000, 11:57 PM
DaveD
Scooby Regular

I have a MY93 WRX, and for this version at least, I don't believe the ECU needs resetting....
I generally run my car on SUL, but occasionally get caught short and have to resort to 95RON. Running the Jap-spec car on 95 does indeed alter the engine characteristics, the car being noticeably more hesitant on hard acceleration with 95 fuel. However, after refilling with SUL, all that is required is to give the right peddal a bit of stick, and the ECU tends to reset itself to the higher octane fuel.
I think the older cars at least, the engine tends to just look for the onset of knock and retards or advances the ignition accordingly - no 'resetting' required.
Old 11 July 2000, 08:37 AM
Otis
Scooby Regular

I have been recently advised by my dealer that disconnecting the battery on recent models will not reset the ECU. The latest models, by that I think he meant MY99 and MY00, can only be reset by shooting 12v through the ECU to clear the flash...something...rom....something....chip....so mething....memory...something, yeah he lost me at that point but those words were in there somewhere.

Otis.
Old 11 July 2000, 08:55 AM
BarryK
Scooby Regular

Smile

I've said this once and I'll say it again check out
Old 11 July 2000, 10:04 AM
Otis
Scooby Regular

Barry,

If you didn't spend half the morning juddering around the place then you'd probably catch me up Metz Boy .

Otis.
Old 11 July 2000, 11:10 AM
StevieP
Scooby Newbie

Smile

As to whether disconnecting the battery for an hour or two will reset the ecu back to it's factory presets depends upon the type of memory used to store the dynamic values.
Does anybody out there have access to circuit diagrams for the ecu's? I as an electronics engineer would be interested in seeing them.

StevieP
Old 11 July 2000, 12:01 PM
Mr.Cookie
Scooby Regular

Ready to get slated but would not disconnecting the battery for a couple of hours reset ecu

Cheers
Simon
Old 11 July 2000, 12:30 PM
DaveD
Scooby Regular

Smile

I guess disconnecting the battery *must* reset the ECU, but from my experience, I don't think it's nec. when just changing from 95 to SUL.

Having said that, I have a friend who put reddex into his WRX, which made his ECU throw a complete wobbly and made it run exceptionally slow! After several tanks of SUL and no improvement, he disconnected the battery for several hours. When power was reconnected - hey presto! the car was a WRX again.