Sponsored by:

Classic STi vs STi RA

Search this Thread

Old 11 July 2004, 04:45 PM
NickATRvtec
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Classic STi vs STi RA

I've done the search thing but ultimately failed...

I'm looking at STis in the range of £5500-6500 atm and I would like to know what the technical differences are between the V1/2/3 STi and STi RA.

Is the RA really worth getting over the regular STi?

I plan to use the car for weekends and track days. The interior will be stripped with lightweight seats etc.

I was also thinking of chucking an Evo 4 RS into the mix but I doubt anyone has had direct experience of all three...
Old 11 July 2004, 05:31 PM
FASTER MIKE!!
Scooby Regular

I think the early ra's are quite madly geared, and max out at somthing like 130mph so it'll be just right for a track car. plus with a ra you'll more than likely get a more basic car no electric windows air con etc.

mike
Old 11 July 2004, 06:09 PM
Lagamorph
Scooby Regular

Cool

dont think the ra's have abs or ebd????? i maybe wrong though

Andy
Old 11 July 2004, 06:13 PM
Keef69
Scooby Regular

I'd suggest www.SIDC.co.uk the FAQ part and www.IWOC.co.uk too. Plus if you do a search for Impreza you'll find loads of sites detailing all the differences. Personally, I believe the version 3 is a better bet with a stronger engine, delivering 25ps more and it will rev to 8250rpm. Plus it's got a slightly larger turbo than even the later models, I'm told. Choice between STi and RA? The main difference is that the RA's were built lighter, with lightweight flywheel etc, but without air con, elec windows, sound proofing, ABS or radios, but many had the air con, elec windows and radio fitted as optional extras.

All the above may be complete rubbish, but it is what I have read on various sites and heard from Scooby drivers at meeets etc. Overall, I'd say go for the RA version 3 if you will be going to track days, you'll need the extra punch out of corners! One thing I have learnt, is that most Scooby drivers have a very good reason why they bought their particular model, even if it doesn't seem to make sense to anyone else!! Me included in that one!
Old 12 July 2004, 01:01 PM
NickATRvtec
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the info guys.

The only reason I ask is because some people have mentioned that STis have lighter panels and close ratio gearbox etc.
Old 12 July 2004, 02:28 PM
Marky-San
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NickATRvtec
Cheers for the info guys.

The only reason I ask is because some people have mentioned that STis have lighter panels and close ratio gearbox etc.

Info is correct. RA is a hairy ride, without the creature comforts - but thats what some looney's like Other like me as too wussy to do with out them

My own car as you've seen on the site has close ratio gearbox, aluminium bonnet and boot, Aluminium suspension components - blah blah.

V1's (250ps) and 2 (260ps) rev to 7400 (ish), with a mere scoobyecu they go to 8250 like later ones, but after about 6500 loses it optimum anyway. Mine has scoobyecu as well just to fool people.

If your going to race then an RA is ideal as most of the hard work is done for you - think they are harder to find though.

Rgds,
Marky

Last edited by Marky-San; 12 July 2004 at 02:32 PM.