Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Decisions, decisions, decisions!!!!??

Search this Thread

Old 10 July 2004, 11:23 AM
will13
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Decisions, decisions, decisions!!!!??

Alright lads and lassies, first post here so I hope you guys take it easy on me. Currently looking for a new car and have decided to buy a new Impreza. This will be my second impreza, had a uk turbo about 5 years ago which I unfortuantely damaged in a crash. Always said I'd get another one (once the points for the crash came off my license so the insurance wasn't a rediculous amount.) so after a few years of driving VW's and stuff I've decided to get a new one and hopefully I'll have more luck with this one!

My problem is I can't decide whether to buy a new WRX with the PPP or just a new standard STI. The STI is stretching my budget a bit but if I waited a few months then could probably get one. Also cannot find anywhere that has a WRX with the PPP fitted that I can test drive it to see how it is. Just looking at the figures the WRXPPP is 190bhp/ton and the STI is only a few more so just wondering if it worth me stretching my budget to get. ANy of you guys driven or owned both that could give me some idea on how they compare. Also the standard WRX is considerably cheaper for me to insure than the STI but how do the insurance companies react to the PPP being fitted?

Has been suggested that I also look into getting maybe a 2 year old bug eye STi as they'll be about the same price as a new WRX PPP, and I actually like the bug eye look(the non-prodrive one anyway) better than the look of the newer cars but as I do such a high mileage and would be nervous about buying a used Impreza(as I know a lot of them are driven hard and have maybe not been run in) in case I ended up with an abused one!

Car will be used for maybe 4-5 trackdays a year and a couple of drag strip visits but otherwise just day to day! What do you guys think?
Old 10 July 2004, 12:04 PM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 144 Likes on 108 Posts

I'd say go for the STI.. I have the WRX (albeit non-PPP), but I wouldn't much fancy taking it out on track on standard brakes, wallowing body etc etc. I don't know what the brakes are like on the STI, but they have to be a lot better (they're brembo's) and apparently the suspension on the STI isn't that good for track days either, but surely it will be better (than the WRX).

Also, if you decide to later, you could get the PPP on the STI.
Old 10 July 2004, 12:13 PM
will13
Scooby Regular

Cheers! Sorry forgot to say the car would be put on fully adj. coilovers and have a complete brake upgrade to make it more track friendly! Something I do immediately to every car I've owned!

If I want to later tune the car, in say a year or so,am I best starting with the PPP or am I best starting standard and adding on non-prodrive aftermarket bits?
Old 10 July 2004, 05:43 PM
worldwidewebs
Scooby Regular

Just what I've been asking here. And I'm picking my STi up on Monday
Old 10 July 2004, 06:00 PM
McCrash
Scooby Regular

I had same issue. Decided for WRX PPP and funnily enough was talking to my dealer today and he said all the sales team preferred the WRX with PPP to the sti. Besides anything else the WRXPPP is just as powerful as the standard STI and its only £20k + £1600 for the PPP - you're quids in. Plus if you get the SL you get leather and a sunroof too. It is also cheaper to run, insure, service and doesn't have 'nick me' written all over it. More subtle if that's your thing.

Just my view.
Old 10 July 2004, 06:06 PM
will13
Scooby Regular

I see motorpoint do the STI for 21k new, is this a genuine price? anyone bought their car from there? or know if they are UK cars? I prefer the sutelty of the normal WRX than the STI but I prefered the 6 speed box of the STI. I'm 300 bucks more a year for insurance than a standard WRX, I doubt the PP will cost me anextra 300 a year so that may swing it!
Old 10 July 2004, 06:25 PM
Jasoon
Scooby Regular

McCrash
I had the same sort of chat with my dealer a couple of months ago ,the boss was away and he has a STi PPP demo one of the other sales men has a WRX PPP with prodrive suspension on and the salesman that was dealing with me told me that the one with the WRX prefers his demo to the STi demo.

Will13
Palmers have a WRX PPP demo at the moment and its also for sale at the moment
Subaru Impreza 2.0 WRX , 2004 04 Reg , Red, Saloon, 3,000 miles , 4 Doors. 1 owner, ABS, Air conditioning, airbag double, Category 1 Alarm, Ex demonstrator, mirrors electric and heated, Prodrive 265bhp Performance pack, Prodrive Lowered Suspension, radio/cd/cassette, windows front + rear electric, 18" Prodrive PFF-7 Alloys. colour coded skirts, high boot spoiler, quickshift gear change, Prodrive gear ****. Clear lens conversion £22,995

http://www.dealer.autotrader.co.uk/_...lmerframe7.htm
Old 10 July 2004, 06:28 PM
Jasoon
Scooby Regular

isn't the reason motorpoint can sell new cars so cheep is that you don't got the log book for about 6 months and then your the second owner on the log book as the cars classed as being an ex rental that's why they can sell them so cheep?
Old 10 July 2004, 07:17 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Motorpoint also source their cars from outside the EU (usually ) so you're stuffed for a decent warranty from Subaru UK/IM.

There's more to an STi than extra power. It's the whole driving package with better brakes, springs, steering, diffs, engine internals and gearbox making a more focused fast driving car. I have a WRX PPP, but I wish it was an STi now Find a good dealer who can let you have an extended test in both and make up your own mind. On the road there's little in it between me and my mates in their STi's, but on track (which you say your gonna do a bit of) they are much quicker.

If you get a WRX PPP, you'll probably end up spending more than the difference in initial cost upgrading it to somewhere near an STi's initial spec. I've been looking around a little lately, and I've seen 03 UK STi's for sale with <10k on the clock for as low as 18k, but usually nearer 20k. If I see an unspoilt black one I'll probably go for it, especially if it already has PPP.

Last edited by corradoboy; 10 July 2004 at 08:36 PM.
Old 10 July 2004, 07:48 PM
Jasoon
Scooby Regular

If will13's going to change the suspention then a WRX should be able to out handle an STi

Have a look at whitelines WRX demo the track times against a STi
Old 10 July 2004, 07:52 PM
markus_UK
Scooby Regular

I have a WRX MY04 with PPP - its amazing !

Nothing more to say!

Mark