Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is there anything else I can do to keep my pride & joy?

Search this Thread

Old 05 July 2004, 07:26 PM
STEVECHAPS
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Is there anything else I can do to keep my pride & joy?

Starting to get really worried now. 1/2 an hour ago our neighbour knocks to say three lads in baseball hats have just walked down our cul-de-sac paying particular attention to my car, then turned round & walked back. Nothing much in that except she was asked at the local school today by one of the less well behaved scroates 'Do you live next door to that subaru?' Mmmmm.
Now the Blue Scoob with big exhaust which came down on Saturday, turned round & went away with no apparent reason to be there starts to look sus!
After 1 Break-In for the keys & an attempted we know that there is a certain determination to part us from this car so we've got security beefed up & the car is hijack proof with discloc & tracker too. Short of barbed wire & machine gun posts I can't see what else I can do.
Tempted to ring the crime liason bod who called when we were last pillaged but they're not going to be around at 3am when the latest visit occurs!
Having answered a previous thread that I won't be put off, well it's all a bit offputting!!!!
Anyone lend me a Doberman & long chain?
Old 05 July 2004, 07:30 PM
WR1 Wannabe
Scooby Regular

A light attached to a motion detector (cheap as chips) and a prominent security camera (£100 or less) are supposed to be somewhat effective...
Old 05 July 2004, 07:44 PM
specialx
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by STEVECHAPS
Anyone lend me a Doberman & long chain?

we have an eight stone american pit bull you can borrow!!

but seriously the steps you have already taken will surely stop most would be twoking scum I must admit to slepping with the keys but can relax knowing the disk lok is on.

and the pit bull helps!!
Old 05 July 2004, 07:44 PM
STEVECHAPS
Scooby Regular

Question

Originally Posted by WR1 Wannabe
A light attached to a motion detector (cheap as chips) and a prominent security camera (£100 or less) are supposed to be somewhat effective...
Cheers 4 that but got floodlights, front & back. Bought a £100 camera but it's detection range was about 20ft so it would only cover the car if about 6ft off the ground (ie easily reachable) & was ineffective if placed higher. We had a dummy camera & signage before the last time, either they sussed it or didn't care (Prob the latter).
Anyone know of retailers of more effective cameras that don't cost the earth (& Eat into my essential modding money bag)?
Old 05 July 2004, 07:45 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

Get a dog
Old 05 July 2004, 08:23 PM
andypugh2000
Scooby Regular

Myself i would put a lift out post in the drive so there is no way of TWOC, other than that a metal baseball bat inside the front door or set a very large dog on their sorry chav ***** when they try to thieve it, diskloc should do the job anyway
andy
Old 05 July 2004, 08:27 PM
chris's scooby
Scooby Regular

Sorry 4 being thick but where can i get a diskloc?
Old 05 July 2004, 08:35 PM
andypugh2000
Scooby Regular

I got mine here http://www.disklok.com
Old 05 July 2004, 08:46 PM
STEVECHAPS
Scooby Regular

Wink

Always been quite good as Baseball
Looks like my Daughters wish for a dog might get granted (How vicious are golden retrievers?).
Old 05 July 2004, 09:00 PM
Kane
Scooby Regular

Default demon dog

Get a rotty or german shephard. Both are loving dogs that look after the family. Dont feel restricted though about the car. If ******* are gonna do teh car its for parts not actually stealing the car - things like spoilers, skirts/bodykits/wheels/exhausts....and interior parts they think they can sell or stick on their cars. CCTV would deter most oportunists though as would a dog barking or light coming on - dont think you got much to worry about.

Only real 100% way of stopping the oportunist is a garage...
Old 06 July 2004, 08:32 AM
Apple
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Kane
Well, not totally foolproof but if things are a bit more out of sight, then there's less chance of people knowing what's there and getting ideas...

Steve, have a word with Diane at the next meet if you're both there. She might be able to help (professionally, before anybody suggests...)

Apple

Last edited by Apple; 06 July 2004 at 09:07 AM.
Old 06 July 2004, 09:21 AM
TAINTON
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Kane
Get a rotty or german shephard. Both are loving dogs that look after the family. Dont feel restricted though about the car. If ******* are gonna do teh car its for parts not actually stealing the car - things like spoilers, skirts/bodykits/wheels/exhausts....and interior parts they think they can sell or stick on their cars. CCTV would deter most oportunists though as would a dog barking or light coming on - dont think you got much to worry about.

My old man has CCTV but make sure theres plenty of light. My dads wouldnt pick up in the dark so fitted a floodlight&sensor.......works a treat now.

Also connected upto his video.

Think there pretty cheap from places like Argos. Best of luck
Ashley
Old 06 July 2004, 09:32 AM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Location: Surviving as a soldier of fortune on the Los Angeles underground...

My scoob goes in the garage and the fiancees car gets parked right up to the door. Still get suspicous when chavs go in and out of our cul-de-sac, keep thinking they'll break in to get both sets of keys... I usually watch them til they're right round the corner, and make sure they see me looking at them - hoping that if they know I've clocked them then they're unlikely to try anything.
Old 06 July 2004, 09:33 AM
austen_wrx
Scooby Regular

Have you got a house alarm?? After being broken into to have my keys nicked, i have now installed a house alarm with PIR's in every downstairs room and door breaks everywhere possible, (not to mention removing the front garden to have a driveway built, security posts, new high security windows and doors and a disc lok). At least i will know if they get in if it happens again.
Old 06 July 2004, 09:34 AM
theotherphil
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone know of retailers of more effective cameras that don't cost the earth (& Eat into my essential modding money bag)?
Check here: http://www.rfconcepts.co.uk/
Old 06 July 2004, 09:58 AM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

Sorry 4 being thick but where can i get a diskloc
Halfords.
Old 06 July 2004, 09:59 AM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

For the cameras, go to B&Q or try http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/search...mitProducts=no
Old 06 July 2004, 10:05 AM
STEVECHAPS
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by austen_wrx
Have you got a house alarm?? After being broken into to have my keys nicked, i have now installed a house alarm with PIR's in every downstairs room and door breaks everywhere possible, (not to mention removing the front garden to have a driveway built, security posts, new high security windows and doors and a disc lok). At least i will know if they get in if it happens again.
Alarm stopped them last time! I'm possibly being too paranoid this time (It's still intact this morning!).
Thanks for all the replies. Just had a sure-fire idea though, I could really chav up our Saxo with bonnet scoops, 4 baked bean tins for exhausts, HKS & Blitz stickers & 4 St George flags etc to create a distraction!
Steve(Looking on the bright side of life)Chaps
Old 06 July 2004, 10:41 AM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Not sure a garage will help as they already know the car is there, if it is in a garage they have protected unseen access to strip the car at their leisure unless you alarm the gargae aswell.
Old 06 July 2004, 11:10 AM
mmmiddy
Scooby Regular

http://www.saundersonsecurity.co.uk/...ity_Posts.html

Try one of these mate, you'll obviously have to keep reminding yourself you've got one, and put it down before you set off!!
Old 06 July 2004, 11:24 AM
projucer
Scooby Regular

... they'll probably also end up taking the dog! garage with a secure tight padlock should do the trick! they won't give a toss about the cctv - from subs stolen in bradford the crooks are usually 'out of town' & yes... they are after the parts more than anything else!

mine is parked in the garage with the toad alarm activated - padlocked - with a steel gate on the garage window - in front of the garage i.e. my driveway is the corsa - then i have a padlocked gate - and outside the gate is the micra - ALCATRAZ!!!
Old 06 July 2004, 11:44 AM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by projucer
... they'll probably also end up taking the dog! garage with a secure tight padlock should do the trick! they won't give a toss about the cctv - from subs stolen in bradford the crooks are usually 'out of town' & yes... they are after the parts more than anything else!

mine is parked in the garage with the toad alarm activated - padlocked - with a steel gate on the garage window - in front of the garage i.e. my driveway is the corsa - then i have a padlocked gate - and outside the gate is the micra - ALCATRAZ!!!
So you don't take your scoob out to play with you every day then? By the time you've got the car out it'll be dark

Seriously though... Taking bits off the car (fuses or ignition kinglead) will stop them driving it but won't stop them lifting it or towing it. If I was more wary, I'd alarm my garage and fit a security post inside, just behind the door. Normal and infrared minicams can be useful.

J.
Old 06 July 2004, 11:59 AM
projucer
Scooby Regular

you are right 'vindaloo' - it takes 5 minutes or so 'faffin' about BUT it's worth it! don't know about you guys but the space in my garage is tight - it'd be difficult to steal anything - that is if they managed to get in! there is too much headache (security) with owning a sub - do you agree?
Old 06 July 2004, 05:21 PM
micared
Scooby Regular

Tried and tested method for me when the scumbags wouldn't leave the bike alone was to rig up a baby alarm ( with extended wiring ), one end near the bike, other next to the bed, volume on full blast.....excellent arrangement this, as you get the drop on them. Might be a bit more difficult to rig up on a car which is left outside ( bike was in the shed ), but necessity is the mother of invention!
Old 06 July 2004, 05:59 PM
STEVECHAPS
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by micared
baby alarm
I'd forgotten that one - we have a baby & an alarm! Might well rig it up.
Projucer, now I know why I've never seen your car round & about! I'd have forgotten why I was going out if I had to move all that lot every time.
Old 06 July 2004, 06:15 PM
micared
Scooby Regular

Good luck.....try not to have too much fun if you catch them!
Old 06 July 2004, 07:56 PM
Aaquil
Scooby Regular

I know its a bit late but you can get cheap 'Dislock' from Costco.
Old 06 July 2004, 10:44 PM
GREEN SCOOBY
Scooby Regular

I would get in touch with the police and tell them what you know. They probably wont do a thing but then again they might just pop down to your area and check it out if they are passing on the way to the late night takeaway,you never know.
Old 06 July 2004, 11:05 PM
chris's scooby
Scooby Regular

Gaffer tape can work well!
Old 06 July 2004, 11:19 PM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

Alarm stopped them last time! I'm possibly being too paranoid this time (It's still intact this morning!).
Thanks for all the replies. Just had a sure-fire idea though, I could really chav up our Saxo with bonnet scoops, 4 baked bean tins for exhausts, HKS & Blitz stickers & 4 St George flags etc to create a distraction!
Steve(Looking on the bright side of life)Chaps

Quick Reply: Is there anything else I can do to keep my pride & joy?