Sponsored by:

No impressed with Subaru Main Dealer

Search this Thread

Old 05 July 2004, 04:12 PM
Mini Cookie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No impressed with Subaru Main Dealer

Been doing a little thinking and I have come up with a possible (very likely) answer to my tyre problem.

When looked at my car (00 classic with Prodrive suspension and new WRX wheels) 9 months ago it was for sale on a Subaru forecourt. It looked great as it still does. I got told the previous 16” wheels had the wrong offset’s so (Subaru) put on some new WRX wheels and tyres on as fitted on the new WRX. I now need new tyres, which I was advised to put a larger wide tyre on. So I went from a 205 to 215. and they rub. After a lot of research and phone calls I am no nearer to a solution to why the tyres rub, when other cars with the same wheels do not. I have a problem getting a quality tyre in the smaller size to correct this.

So I had a chat with my Dealer (Subaru not drug) and I told them ‘I have WRX wheels on a classic with Prodrive suspension, what tyres should I fit? 215 40 17 sir’.

I then told them about my car and informed them that I believe these following events occurred 9 months ago, but this will remain unproven.

Previous owner bring car in for p/x and for some reason (possibly because the old wheels were curbed) the wheels are changed. The new WRX wheels are reconditioned ones and are relatively cheap, look good, so let’s whack them on with the Toyo’s. Ah they rub. Now what? Lets put on smaller ones. Bollax, can’t get a quality one in that size, well not in our stores anyway. Put on those cheap nasty Falkens. Done. No one will know the difference.

When asked, would Subaru Normally put those tyres on their cars? Not on your Nellie. Because by other standards they are not a quality or performance tyre, as an example these can be brought for £50 each. Most of us would not put them on our cars, but I was none the wiser. On challenging Subaru with this I was told, when matched at 30mph you would not know the difference between the Falken and a quality tyre. You could imagine what I said. Don’t think any of us brought or cars to do 30mph. We are not talking about a 1.1 town car.

As challenged Subaru sounded nervous, and a little lost for words. They have come back to me and offered suggestions on tyre choices, however, my point is that to save a few pennies they have put an inferior product on a car as the correct one caused them a problem, and in doing so have not produced the goods to the normal Subaru high standards.

I happy with my car, but not Impressed with their actions

CM
Old 05 July 2004, 04:25 PM
Jolley
Scooby Regular

Presumably you have had reasonable mileage out of the tyres? and they offer enough grip? (it isn't in a hedge). So I fail to see what you are complaining about..... is it the tyre size, or the make?

If you had such an issue with their choice of tyre, you maybe should have mentioned it when you originally went to see it.
Old 05 July 2004, 04:31 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

For what it's worth, WRX wheels are a different offset to Classic wheels and shouldn't really be fitted to the older cars at all. 215/40/17 IS the correct size for 17" wheels on a Classic, but you're having trouble because of the error in the offset. The only real fix is to fit the correct wheels for your car.
Old 05 July 2004, 06:12 PM
the cookie monster
Scooby Regular

Thanks andy, thats what i have found out today, and thats another reason for ME to be disappointed with subaru. The correct wheels should have been on the car when i brought it.

Jolley, i didnt have the knowledge then about the right tyres for my car, i build houses for a living, thats what i know. i dont know, cars, thats why i pay good money to someone else in the trust that they are providing me with the best product avaliable. i only know what i do know, as the problem has arised as i now need to change the tyres, and i have had to do a bit of research.

I am just expressing my thoughts.
Old 05 July 2004, 06:22 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

WRX wheels are cheap and plentiful because lots of people upgrade as soon as their first set of tyres wear out, so it's very tempting to buy a set of these and fit them to a Classic despite the incorrect offset. Clearly what's happened is that someone has done this and then traded the car in, leaving the dealer with the problem.

Obviously I see your dilemma - you should at least have been made aware that the wheels on the car weren't really the right size. That said, enough people do run WRX wheels without a problem, so it can't be the end of the world. You could try fitting 205/45/17 tyres and see if that helps - I believe the perfectly decent Pirelli P Zero range comes in this size (though not many others do, which is why most people run 215/40/17 instead).
Old 05 July 2004, 07:03 PM
chris's scooby
Scooby Regular

You could try this site which a few people on here seem to use, although i've never tried it myself (my other half works for a garage so i get my tyres next to trade price )

http://www.mytyres.co.uk/

I know that may not really solve the problem but it may help. The only other thing i can think of is putting the original spec wheels back on.
Old 06 July 2004, 02:52 PM
Jolley
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by the cookie monster
Jolley, i didnt have the knowledge then about the right tyres for my car, i build houses for a living, thats what i know. i dont know, cars, thats why i pay good money to someone else in the trust that they are providing me with the best product avaliable. i only know what i do know, as the problem has arised as i now need to change the tyres, and i have had to do a bit of research.

I am just expressing my thoughts.
No worries. Just read the other posts saying the wheel is a different offset, which I didn't realise.... so I would prob be p*ssed off as well!!