WR1 purchase concerns

Search this Thread

Old 02 July 2004, 10:41 PM
GalaxiaN
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WR1 purchase concerns

Hi all,

This is my first post of many (hopefully) as I'm in the process of becoming a proud Scooby owner. After being fortunate to test drive a WR1 at a local dealer I've taken the plunge and placed an order for one of the last 2 cars they have allocated.

I've paid a large deposit and plan to part exchange my current car. The remainder of the car will be paid from savings and a smallish loan.
I was phoned by the dealer this afternoon saying they could have a car registered and prepared in 2-3 weeks time. I was a bit concerned when I was asked to pay up for the car in full before they continue!!

My last two cars have been purchased from new and I've only ever had to pay a deposit up front with the remainder of the money paid on the day of delivery.

Anyone else here been asked to pay for their WR1 in full or any Impreza before they actual take delivery of the car?

I tried phoning the dealer this evening after work but no reply. I will have to phone them in the morning as this is really bugging me but wondered how others had gone about paying for their cars.
Old 02 July 2004, 10:47 PM
martinl
Scooby Regular

I only had to pay a deposit, for the car.
Old 02 July 2004, 10:48 PM
WR1 Wannabe
Scooby Regular

I think a lot of people were asked to pay for theirs cars at the time of registration - I think the reason is that if you pull our after the car is registered then the dealer is stuck with a 2nd hand car to sell...

I shouldn't worry - the purchase/registration process for the WR1 is somewhat different to the norm because certain modifications have to be made after the car is registered.

HTH
Old 02 July 2004, 10:50 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it's got something to do with the cars having to be registered before they fit all of the extra bits that make it a WR1, thats all, if you're not happy, have a word with the dealer, and se if you can come to a sort of compromise, like paying some more, but not all of it, trouble is, it'll be registered in your name, so you should really pay for it!

Ron.

Welcome!!
Old 02 July 2004, 10:53 PM
chris's scooby
Scooby Regular

I only had to pay the deposit(£1000) then the car was registered, although i have heard of other people having to pay for the lot up front. I don't know if it's because i've bought cars from the dealer before.
Old 02 July 2004, 11:23 PM
GalaxiaN
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the the replies.
So it sounds like some pay in full and others not.

I haven't purchased anything from this dealer before. As my current car is a huge chunk of the payment I'm concerned they'll want all the cash up front then give me money back at time of delivery.
I certainly don't want to take get a loan to cover the that cost just for a few weeks.

Hopefully after voicing my concerns tomorrow we'll be able to come to some sort of arrangment.

Thanks again.
Old 03 July 2004, 08:04 AM
Nick
Scooby Senior

Hi, here's how the WR1 sale should go.
  1. Place order & pay £1000 deposit to dealer. Also give dealer a copy of your driving licence. (The deposit size is fixed by Subaru, if the deposit is higher with your dealer, complain to Subaru & use another dealer)
  2. Dealer places order to Subaru & at some time later the car is allocated to the dealer
  3. You pay dealer in full & take out insurance on the car
  4. Dealer registers the car to you & informs Subaru
  5. Subaru install the PPP & other Prodrive goodies (takes around 10 days)
  6. Car is delivered to dealer
  7. Dealer PDIs the car & then you pick it up after checking it VERY carefully
The reason for all this stuff is that Subaru have not type-approved the WR1. Type approval is expensive & requires the destruction of several cars. Therefore the car has to be registered first & have the Prodrive bits fitted after registration.
Old 03 July 2004, 09:29 AM
WRXSTI Colin
Scooby Newbie

Nick

Does the same process apply if you are purchasing an STI and having the PPP fitted ie registration first then PPP fitment.
Also would the forum recommend that PPP is fitted after running in or at time of delivery?
Old 03 July 2004, 09:31 AM
SteelX
Scooby Regular

Paid deposit.

Paid remainder on delivery (switch).

Anyone who wants the money up front should be told where to shove that idea imho.

Steel
Old 03 July 2004, 09:36 AM
GalaxiaN
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for clearing that up Nick.
Just rang the dealer and was pretty much told the same thing. My worst fears are over as they only need the money minus the value of my car, phew

I'm pretty dangerous when left to mull over problems that don't exist
If I'd of contacted the dealer yesterday I would have had a much more relaxing evening.
Old 03 July 2004, 09:45 AM
Nick
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by WRXSTI Colin
Nick

Does the same process apply if you are purchasing an STI and having the PPP fitted ie registration first then PPP fitment.
Also would the forum recommend that PPP is fitted after running in or at time of delivery?
Hi Colin

It's the same theory, but I can't say what happens in practice because I've no direct experience of that. In the past (1998), I've been to a dealership & seen a brand new registered car in their showroom, then the dealer ships it to Prodrive. My suggestion is that you buy the car from the dealer when it's in the showroom & then they trailer it up to Prodrive. The difference here, is that the car gets tweaked before you get to see (& approve) it.
Old 03 July 2004, 09:48 AM
Nick
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by GalaxiaN
Thanks for clearing that up Nick.
Just rang the dealer and was pretty much told the same thing. My worst fears are over as they only need the money minus the value of my car, phew

I'm pretty dangerous when left to mull over problems that don't exist
If I'd of contacted the dealer yesterday I would have had a much more relaxing evening.

Good luck mate. It's definately hairy legally from your point of view because you are paying for a car that you haven't seen. Make sure that you check the car VERY carefully when picking it up. Also, if you're using Subaru finance, sign the forms away from the dealer's premises. It gives you more protection to refuse the car if it's damaged.
Old 03 July 2004, 10:01 AM
WRXSTI Colin
Scooby Newbie

Sorry to labour the point, but I was under the assumption that the dealer fitted the PPP, so am I right in thinking that only Prodrive can fit the conversion?
Old 03 July 2004, 10:06 AM
SteelX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by WRXSTI Colin
Sorry to labour the point, but I was under the assumption that the dealer fitted the PPP, so am I right in thinking that only Prodrive can fit the conversion?
Only Prodrive can do the WR1's, but dealers can fit the PPP (certainly Holdcroft can) as it's replaceable parts. Maybe only some dealers can, dunno, maybe they have to be registered and have passed the "Grade 1 PPP Installation Certificate MkIII" don't know. But you get a certificate to prove your PPP was fitted so I guess someone must be qualified to fit it.

hth

Steel
Old 03 July 2004, 10:14 AM
GarethE
Scooby Regular

The dealer certainly fitted my PPP, but then mine was fitted at the 10,000 mile service, this is on an 03 plate.

The classic scoobs used to have to go to Prodrive for fitment, but not sure if its still the case with them.

My suggestion would be to run the car in first (certainly have the 1000 miles service done) and then fit the PPP. It would be a real s0d trying to keep a PPP'd car under 4000 rpm for the first 1000 miles , and you'll appreciate the difference a bit more after the conversion.