Sponsored by:

US spec STi

Search this Thread

Old 02 July 2004, 09:47 PM
Hamish69
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default US spec STi

I've recently moved to California from the UK and am thinking of buying a US spec STi. One of my main questions is the difference between the UK spec 2 litre engine and the US 2.5 litre one. Are they totally different units or is the US version just simply had it's bore and/or stroke increased? I can't really imagine it's the latter as an extra 0.5 litres capacity is a lot. What other differences are there between the 2 cars?

Also, how tuneable is the US STi over the UK version? I'm guessing that the extra capacity makes it more reliable, with 300bhp not stessing the engine very much. For instance, what sort of power/ torque numbers are you looking at with $5000/£3000 spent on proper, safe modifications?

Hamish
Old 02 July 2004, 10:49 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

300bhp is the out-of-the-box rating

AFAIK the 2.5 engine has a different block, crank & pistons, but mates to the same heads as the 2.0 - after all, the Type 25 is built by fitting the US block to a JDM car.

The US also gets DCCD-A and a few other bits & bobs - here is a thread discussing the MY05 (or is it called MY06? ) changes.