Sponsored by:

She's been replaced!!

Search this Thread

Old 01 July 2004, 04:24 PM
jaycee
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile She's been replaced!!

After selling my MY00 and having to suffer the sheer boredom of driving around in a Citroen AX diesel my new car finally turned up last night.

After mulling over the various options, JDM STI, spec c, type 25, I decided on an STI type UK. I went this way for 2 reasons; main dealer is 2 minutes away and future re-sale value over an import. I know I missed out on a few toys but I accept that.
I will keep this thread updated as I go through the running in period, a couple of hundred miles of "spirited" driving and onto the PPP with the spring kit fitted somewhere inbetween.
So far I've done 60 miles (only another 940 to go!!) so all observations are based on "first impressions" and are subject to change!!

Build quality- Subaru are getting there! The doors close with a more reassuring clunk but there is still a faint tinny rattle as it closes. The boot seems to require slamming to close but that could've been me being too gentle with it at first! The interior is functional, nothing fancy but does the job. The seats have been widened from my MY00 so they don't hug me as tight which is a bit unfortunate as I'm rather slim, I can see me sliding around the seat when driving at a pace. There is an annoying buzzer if you set off without your seatbelt but it did it's job and made me buckle up to shut it up! I nearly rang the garage in a panic until I realised why it was beeping at me!! LOL What a tit I would've looked. The stereo and speakers need junking and replacing with better quality items but for some people it won't be an issue.
The windows are much smoother and quieter than on previous models to the point where I had to look over my shoulder to check the rear windows were working.

On the road- The seating position is much higher than the MY00, more like being sat ON the car rather than IN it but still not high enough to see over that damn scoop. The clutch is very light and gear changes are very smooth but there is a lot of vibration coming through the gearlever, enough to irritate me when I'm getting ready to change gear. Getting used to the 6 speed 'box has been interesting as 3rd has been selected instead of 5th occasionally. The ride is firm but it rides over the bumps and potholes much better, not crashing about like the MY00. You can feel the extra weight is carrying as it doesn't feel quite as nimble but this may change as time goes by and I begin to push the car. The steering does what it's meant to but again time will tell as I push the car and see what feedback I get through the wheel and how the turn in is affected. The brakes feel good and slow the car well however I did manage to get them to fade on the demo car!!

Performance- How would I know? I'm still running it in!! But she's begging to be stretched and I can't wait for the 1st service to be done then I'll find out if the STI is the car I so hope it will be.

I hope I haven't bored you all!!

Jason
Old 01 July 2004, 04:43 PM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice one!

Get those first thousand miles out of the way and then really enjoy yourself!
Old 01 July 2004, 07:03 PM
subaru-impreza.org
Scooby Regular

Hope it all goes well I didnt really enjoy the first 1000 miles (but i was good ) but after that.....

Whey Hey

All the best
Old 01 July 2004, 07:26 PM
Ray_li
Scooby Regular

Nice one Jason.

So you could not wait until September. But I totally understand
Have fun with her and keep me updated with the car.
If you need help driving the 1000 miles let me know I'll come and help you.
I'll be calling you in 3-4 years time to buy the car off you
Im loving after your old baby.

Ray
Old 01 July 2004, 07:38 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

You never mentioned which colour
Old 01 July 2004, 08:43 PM
jaycee
Scooby Regular

I think we ALL know which is the best colour!!

Jason
Old 01 July 2004, 09:03 PM
Terzo 333
Scooby Regular

Nice one Jas