MY04 WRX PPP - report

Search this Thread

Old 01 July 2004, 06:39 AM
markus_UK
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink MY04 WRX PPP - report

Dear All

Well I thought it was time to write a little report on this beast since getting it about a month ago. The car started life as a standard MY04 WRX (4 door) in blue. We had a WR prodrive spoiler put on to replace the standard one (this was more my wife's idea than me .. but I really like it now).

For the last three weeks we have been getting used to it and running it in. Even limiting the revs to 4000 has not spoilt the fun too much and there was still a noticable pull in 3-5 gear.

OK - a few negatives over the period. Rattles. Most are solved now and I guess thats that. But I was rather miffed to hear them on a brand new car. The audio is nothing special Um thats about it .....

Postives - where do I start? Well firstly I have seen all the debates about which car is faster than your car etc. Clio sport and Honda Civic type R spring to mind etc. Well, hell to that, lets look at the whole package. We have a small (ish) family car. Its bigger than a Ford F, but smaller than a Mondao. In fact, the size could not be better.

Its practical, it goes to the shops, it seats four in relative comform, it takes rubbish to the dump, it fits the baby seat in the back, it has four wheel drive, it looks 'mean' () - it does what it says on the can. Thats the difference for me, it has all the above - and oh I almost forget .. THAT ENGINE >>....

Now we move to PPP. Had that fitted on Monday this week. Turned up at the garage to see, what by my standards, was a huge exhaust. I was a bit worried at first (I'm no boy racer). Turned the key and 'oh my God'. The sound is incredible!!! Never before had I just sat in a car with the window down, blipping the peddle and just listening with a huge grin on my face. I would not want it any louder (although I know some of you think the standard PPP exhaust is a bit tame ).

Well, the car is transformed. Taking it out of the garage, I started by driving it pre PPP fitment (i.e. up to 4000). The pick up was better and the turbo spooled ealier. And that sound ...... Then on to the M4 we go ....

Amazing - simply amazing. This car may not be the FASTED on the road, indeed its not the fasted subaru on the road, but to me in real world conditions I really fail to think of anything which has the complete package like this car does.

Went to Bristol with wife yesterday. Came back on the motorway (M4), setting off from service station about 2030 after filling with Optimax. Started by rolling along between 70-80 (revs now about 3000). The most fun I had was actually waiting for the slight hills to arrive. Then BAMM! 80 - 120 in not very much time at all - outside lane - passing everything in sight.

I do not condone speeding and 120 for me is the limit (and I know it would kill my license if caught). But there is a time and a place and I felt it safe to do so on quiet M4.

I over took a clio sport at around 100. No problem there. (it was up hill). As we got on the flat he overtook me at somewhere above 100. I then overtook him again on the next hill. It was funny, I was not racing but I'm sure he wanted to make a point ???

Anyway, this ramble should end. All in all I think the WRX PPP is the complete package. Its not a new STI. For me, the STI is for those that want to compromise less (e.g. service intervals, 6 speed, suspension).

Its not the WR1 (I would love one!) - but the WR1 is for those that will compromise even less so .....

Its not a 300 bhp 'modded' WRX from by gone days. (Nothing wrong with those either, but I'm not into modding as I have no knowledge, even less time to do it and want to keep the 3-years free servicing, reliable etc etc).

Nope - its a 265 bhp plus (i'm sure I'm one of the lucky ones with a higher than book BHP output), 4 door family car. It gets noticed where ever it goes. In real world there is nothing faster or better for the money (IMHO)

Totally amazing !

cheers

Mark

Old 01 July 2004, 09:00 AM
mgg
Scooby Regular

Excellent report and feedback, nice to hear some positive comments.
Im looking at getting a bugeye model pretty soon, just out of curiosity how much did you pay for the PPP and do you think its worth the cost ?

Cheers
Marc.
Old 01 July 2004, 09:37 AM
markus_UK
Scooby Regular

Marc ...

thanks .. 1600 fitted .....

For me it was worth paying more than other mod routes cos the car was new and I did not want to invalidate anything. Whilst I can not compare full power before and after (cos I was running in), the difference before and after up to 4000 rpm was amazing ..... much more pull.

To everyone - the other thing that was quite obvious, over the 200 mile drive the car got faster and more responsive. I'm sure this is where I have been told that the car ecu learns how you want to drive (or something like that)....

It now pulls well from 2500. I'm not so bothered about 0-60 times etc (prodrive quote 4.8 !!). Where it scores is 30-50, 50-70, 70-100 - an area I believe the standard scoobe sometimes looses out (because of lag?)

cheers

Mark
Old 01 July 2004, 11:08 AM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

It is nice to hear some realy positive comments about a scoob for a change. i am clad that u are more than happy with ur now ppp'ed scoob....and let me guess that the grin on ur face gets bigger with each turn of the key to fire up that beautiful sounding Flat four and that loverly exhaust burble.

btw, i liked the bit were u said "it does what it says on the can"...

I hope u have lots of happy "scooby mototing miles" to come

SC008Y_MAD
Old 01 July 2004, 11:11 AM
DBY
Scooby Regular

Smile

Yes glad someone else is happy to, There great cars and with PPP fitted much more fun !

Regards

John
Old 01 July 2004, 11:40 AM
blip
Scooby Regular

Mark - welcome to the world of big-toothed grinning idiots

I'm glad you love your scoob so much, I've had my 03WRX PPP for just over a year now and still get a huge rush out of it. Like you I really think it is the perfect car for me. Yes there are faster cars, but like you say it's the all-round package that counts. Mine is the wagon and although it looks a bit 'gawky' compared to the saloon for me it is the ultimate combination of performance and practicality.

Case in point: One cold winter's night after a hard day on the mountain bikes I had to get from one side of the Mendips to the other, meet someone and get back across in time for an evening out. The car was loaded with two bikes and tons of sh*tty gear, it was dark, the gritters were out but the roads were nice and quiet.

Well what an awesome drive that was, possibly the closest I've ever got to 'driving nirvana'. I had to push on very hard as I was running late, but the scoob just hoovered up the roads, the engine pulling hard gulping down lots of icey-cold air, the 4WD hooking up on even the roughest, slippery corners, storming past the odd dawdler I came across. I have yet to make the same journey faster, even on dry days. I was wired, the car was wired, it was awesome!!! Got back with time to spare, and I hadn't even broken a sweat. Can't think of another car that could have done that - certainly not one that I could afford.

Just wish the running costs were lower - certainly the fuel. I have days where I think I will have to sell it and buy something cheaper to run. Then I have a drive like that night and I convince myself to keep it for just a little bit longer

Enjoy....
Old 01 July 2004, 11:54 AM
Supercue
Scooby Regular

Cool

Originally Posted by blip
I was wired, the car was wired, it was awesome!!!
Just wish the running costs were lower - certainly the fuel.
Then I have a drive like that night and I convince myself to keep it for just a little bit longer
I've got the 03PPP Saloon and I can so relate to all of those comments. My Scoob is the only car where I feel we are one and I've been very lucky to have owned some great cars but the Scoob is the true all round family performance car

It just rocks
Old 01 July 2004, 11:59 AM
StevietheG
Scooby Regular

Mark, your report is very reassuring, there seems to be too many negative threads on here, where folks jump on the bandwagon, sometimes for no reason other than to join the battle!

I'd definitely go the PPP route if I could afford it, just on the basis of your excellent feedback. Thanks.

Steve
Old 01 July 2004, 12:33 PM
Jasoon
Scooby Regular

Have you thought about getting the Prodrive springs? ,they transform that car again....

In some respects im lucky in that I have a £500 banger to go to work and back again and the Scooby to play in on my days off
Sometimes gets a bit scary when I try and drive it like my micra "foot to the floor and going know where".

I had a similar experience with a Clio on the way to the NBO
Old 01 July 2004, 12:49 PM
scoobydooooo
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yep i agree with the positves on this subject and will get my wrx ppp'd in september !!
Old 01 July 2004, 01:33 PM
Valkeerie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobydooooo
yep i agree with the positves on this subject and will get my wrx ppp'd in september !!
I'd really like to have mine PPP'd, but the inconvenience and additional cost of having to use Super Unleaded is putting me off.

An ECU map with a wider torque range to provide more flexibility, and still using 95 RON, would be good ...

.... and the man who can do it is .... ???
Old 01 July 2004, 01:39 PM
markus_UK
Scooby Regular

Valkeerie ,,

I know what you mean about fuel. However, apart from the fact it uses more fuel than my last car I am not paying anymore for using Optimax (per litre). The simple reason is that I used to just use my local. Now I shop around and with a bit of careful planning I can my the Shell fuel for the same price I used to pay for my unleaded from the local.

Mark
Old 01 July 2004, 01:50 PM
wrxmania
Scooby Regular

It says 98 RON on the inside of the fuel flap so it should really be run on Optimax or equivalent all the time. Standard unleaded as a last resort.

Old 01 July 2004, 01:50 PM
jasey
Scooby Senior

When I PPP'd my UK300 the overall cost for fuel went down - don't know why or how but it did - I'm sure there are more knowledgeable chaps can explain but I think it's quite common to get better mpg post-PPP.

Ditto - good to hear someone still enjoying their car .

Pound for pound I've struggled to find a better solution than the trusty Impreza - In any of it's many guises
Old 01 July 2004, 02:26 PM
Supercue
Scooby Regular

I was told from day one run it on Optimax if you want the best out of the car. So thats exactly what the car gets.

I must say I don't get any greater fuel ecconomy after the PPP was added but with the extra grunt and sheer thrills I get using it every day I dont care

Valkeerie I dont understand what "inconvenience" you mean. Optimax is the dogs in any car but in the Scoobs its quite visible the difference it makes well worth paying the extra couple quid.
Old 01 July 2004, 05:05 PM
Red Man
Scooby Regular

PPP on WRX is just such a transformation - I had a similar reaction as Marcus on my Bugeye. Certainly on the MY01 I don't believe the standard car is complete without it.

The only problem my friend is that it sets you off on that enjoy my car/improve my car cycle that leads to STi, JDM, Type 25, Spec C, Roger Clark Upgrade etc etc.

You have been warned
Old 01 July 2004, 07:43 PM
WHY
Scooby Regular

Marcus

What is the diffrence in insurance costs (WRX / WRXppp)
Old 01 July 2004, 08:25 PM
Yorkie
Scooby Regular

If you like the WRX PPP you should try an STI

By the way, service intervals on the STI are the same as WRX. What made you think that it was any different

Good report. The PPP does transform a standard WRX and well worth the money. Just wondering whether to fit it to my STI
Old 01 July 2004, 09:12 PM
simo
Scooby Regular

An ECU map with a wider torque range to provide more flexibility, and still using 95 RON, would be good ...

.... and the man who can do it is .... ???
You could try Bob & Branko of BR Developments but I am not sure they will remap on 95ron (They do do 97 & 98 thou and do it very well )

simon
Old 01 July 2004, 09:39 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Red Man
PPP on WRX is just such a transformation - I had a similar reaction as Marcus on my Bugeye. Certainly on the MY01 I don't believe the standard car is complete without it.

The only problem my friend is that it sets you off on that enjoy my car/improve my car cycle that leads to STi, JDM, Type 25, Spec C, Roger Clark Upgrade etc etc.

You have been warned
*snigger* So true...

I had the PPP fitted to my MY00 after about a year - it made a big difference (especially to the noise!) and I've struggled since to find any car I'd rather have.

Now I've found one, though. My JDM STI is on order...
Old 01 July 2004, 09:57 PM
markus_UK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by WHY
Marcus

What is the diffrence in insurance costs (WRX / WRXppp)
Wye ... With L&V : Nothing!

mark
Old 01 July 2004, 10:00 PM
markus_UK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Yorkie
If you like the WRX PPP you should try an STI

By the way, service intervals on the STI are the same as WRX. What made you think that it was any different

Good report. The PPP does transform a standard WRX and well worth the money. Just wondering whether to fit it to my STI
Ok got that wrong about the service (perhaps thinking of WR1). I guess the STi was just above my payment threshold / suitability threshold. Of course its a great car. But given I have a new baby (who is very valuable and costs lots of money !!!!!!) I just though the WRX PPP was the better value for money for my needs ...
Old 01 July 2004, 10:14 PM
pflowers
Scooby Regular

Excellent review, I have a 04 WRX and whilst I am well pleased with the car, I find the running below 3K is very lethargic. My question is does it really make that much difference to the pick up below 3K ? What about cruising noise ? is it much louder ? Economy better / worse ?

Sorry lots of questions but mine is booked in for its 10K service next week and I would love to say ' BTW fit the PPP please !!' I just need someone to push me to do it !

Cheers.
Old 01 July 2004, 10:47 PM
skubyman
Scooby Regular

Great review Just picked my 04 WRX 2 days ago and my eye brows have raised at the PPP option...
Old 02 July 2004, 09:08 AM
markus_UK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pflowers
Excellent review, I have a 04 WRX and whilst I am well pleased with the car, I find the running below 3K is very lethargic. My question is does it really make that much difference to the pick up below 3K ? What about cruising noise ? is it much louder ? Economy better / worse ?

Sorry lots of questions but mine is booked in for its 10K service next week and I would love to say ' BTW fit the PPP please !!' I just need someone to push me to do it !

Cheers.
Ok - IMHO

1) It starts doing its stuff from about 2500 rather than 3000. But to be honest I would not say that PPP actually enhances the performance much below 3000 RPM (well not enough to justify £1600 on its own). However, in my view what you get is more usable pull below 3000 for everyday driving. What you will notice through is after the pull starts at 2500 - its waMMMM !! at 3000 RPM (compared to the non PPP version).

2) I have to admit that starting the car in the garage, driving around my village and accelerating in low gears (hard) produces much more noise than the non-PPP car (but not as much as I gather some die-hard modders would like ! However, the noise is fantastic !!

When doing say 60-70 on the motorway at steady speed there is a slightly enhanced drone but otherwise its fine and not too different from the non-PPP version. Put your foot down and the nice bubble returns.

3) Economy - can not judge at the moment. Been getting between 220 and 280 from 44 L (not bad really). However since PPP (and after the run in period) I can not help but push the gas to the floor. Its not even really about driving fast - simply that wonderful feeling 'WOOSH' between sets of traffic lights.

I would go for it!

Mark
Old 02 July 2004, 12:13 PM
Gazboth
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by markus_UK
Wye ... With L&V : Nothing!

mark
Purchased my new WRX in May and had the PPP fitted at the 1000 mile service. Rang round several insurance companies including L&V and they all wanted extra with PPP. Ended up staying with Tesco, £300 extra for the year over non-PPP.

Will try L&V again when this policy expires in November.

Gaz.
Old 02 July 2004, 08:15 PM
markus_UK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gazboth

Will try L&V again when this policy expires in November.

Gaz.
Please do. I asked to speak to a manager to just confirm the status of PPP. He confirmed that this would

a) Be stated as a modification on my policy (I also asked for this)
b) Be no extra.

I now have the policy written as WRX (with PPP)

I also have pictures of the modifications (for my records)

Mark