Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Half size number plates - worth the risk?

Search this Thread

Old 06 July 2000, 08:13 PM
Ade
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Just a general probe into people's experience with these.

The previous owner had put one on my car when I bought it. I drove around with the plate for nearly a year, until I got stopped and given a £20 fixed penalty for it.

I think this could have been a case of "bored policemen" as they were parked up outside a retail park on a Sunday night and stopping anything remotely modified / sporty.

I know it is technically illegal, but the reasons he gave me "what if you were driving away from an incident?" "what makes you think you are special?" seemed a bit insubstantial.

I resisted the urge to put forward my defence: "Well, if I was driving away, you'd be looking at the rear, which is full size", "what about motorbikes?" and "plenty of other people have them" So I took the ticket and paid up.

I really want to put it back on, for airflow and because it looks so sweet... but I'm concerned as to what happens if I get stopped again.

Will I just get another FP? Or can the plate be withdrawn by the DVLA on reasons of abuse? (as with letter spacing etc.)

The officer claimed it the size was "taking the ****", anyone remember those number plate transfers you used to get with Scalextric cars? Now that <B>would</B> be taking the ****...

Adrian.

[This message has been edited by Ade (edited 06-07-2000).]
Old 06 July 2000, 09:51 PM
Mick
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs down

It seems the Police are getting heavier on illegal number plates, partly (or wholly) because the new computer number reading systems may be scuppered by incorrect sizing or spacing.

I have recieved conflicting advice on number plate letter size and spacing I copied and e-mail off IWOC that seemed official giving alternative sizes and spaces, not much leeway but there was a little. I then phoned one of the guys who advertise to do anything you want with number plates. He informed me that the law was simple and strict 11 mm between all letters, except No. / letter gap which must be 33 mm.

Mick
Old 07 July 2000, 05:55 PM
RichieC
Scooby Regular

Im tempting fate here but Ive had a cut down front plate on my WRX for a year now and no grief whatsoever (touch wood!.

It is a standard front plate with motorcycle digits and slightly trimmed all the way round. It looks much better and would argueably let more air into the Rad etc.

Give it a go, I like the look of it.

Richie

Old 07 July 2000, 10:34 PM
covjon
Scooby Newbie

for what it is worth
i have removed my front plate all together
i replaced with a just under half size stick on plate on the bottom part of my front spoiler
did it for 2 reasons
it has got to help air flow and therefore under bonnet temp
and i personally think it looks well
ive not had any probs with the old bill
Old 07 July 2000, 10:53 PM
Bright Kar
Scooby Regular

Keep seeing these post about these altered number plates and am always wandering what they actually look like.

Dont suppose some of you guys would post a picture of them (obviously obscuring the numbers/letters for security). Especially RichieC and Covjon.

bkar

Old 07 July 2000, 11:01 PM
uktony
Scooby Regular

Smile

Ade

Are we talking square number plates here, or small rectangular ones?

I've just put a square one on the front of my scoob; looks ace.

Halfords told me it was illegal, but I ignored them and ordered the plate from a scooby dealer in Kent.
Old 08 July 2000, 09:45 PM
stratman
Scooby Regular

Like RitchieC I have fitted a motorcycle size rectangular plate to the front. Looks better and must improve air flow. Touch wood no trouble with Plod so far.
Old 08 July 2000, 10:54 PM
Ade
Scooby Regular

Arrow

I'm on about rectangular ones, almost exactly half the size of a normal one.

At the moment I have the half size one on and a full size one in the boot. They both have velcro strips on in case so I can swap them over really easily.

I also get funny looks if I leave the car with no plate on at all...

Adrian.