Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Re: steering wheel lock - how do you store it safely?

Search this Thread

Old 07 July 2000, 03:29 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

Getting the new scoob real soon now! Will be getting a disklock or autolock 2000.

Question: How do you store it when you drive? I know you can get a bag and put it in the boot, but it's a bit a of pain and would probably cause damage as it flies around. If you leave it in the car cabin a similar problem, and the thought of such a heavy item decelerating in an accident at high g's is alarming indeed. Any suggestions?
Thanks, John Banks

[This message has been edited by john banks (edited 07-07-2000).]
Old 07 July 2000, 03:37 PM
PeteC
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In my current car, I keep it in the bag, and put it behind the passenger's seat.

It doesn't fly around from there. If more than one passenger then it's in the boot.
Old 07 July 2000, 04:44 PM
Matt Oz
Scooby Regular

I keep the Disclock behind the passenger seat in my STI. It doesn't move around and if taking rear seat passengers, it just goes in the boot

Matt
Old 07 July 2000, 07:25 PM
BHORT
Scooby Regular

Attach 6 pieces of stick on velcro to the disklok and 6 pieces to the carpet in the boot. Stick it in place and there you go. Great idea even if I do say so myself

Old 07 July 2000, 10:32 PM
Mo
Scooby Regular

Location: the fastest rentals in town......0-100mph in 10 seconds
Wink

John,

please do take advice from everyone who has commented, BHORTs idea is great.

B 4 you buy one what alarm system will you have fitted? If you have a Cat1 (ie Clifford etc.) you really do not need the extra expenditure of this product. If you do not have a Cat1 alarm fitted perhaps a cheaper option would be to get hold of some Clifford (or similar Cat1 alarm) stickers if you are after a visual deterant.

From my previous experience visual deterants r only that......visual. I do not want to put u off any method to keep the theifing toe rags away but if they want your car they will have it. Unless you have a bloody good alarm.
Old 08 July 2000, 12:26 AM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for all the replies. I am getting Cat 1 security fitted by the supplier (EU import), and considering Tracker/Trackstar as well as a steering lock +/or barrier deadlock. Maybe I'm paranoid, but all the posts on the board about stolen vehicles makes you that way! Steering locks are a real pain, but if it puts someone off (casual scum) who would otherwise damage the windows, interior etc then that would be good. Cat 1 would be little protection against a tow-away, although I presume the alarm should go off, but no-one would pay attention these days! Maybe Cat 1 & a Tracker will do? I suppose a wheel lock gives you something to do whilst idling after a blast!

John.
Old 08 July 2000, 12:50 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

Hi John,
Because i live in Manchester (hmm car crime capital of Britain and insurance to prove it!!!) i bunged on loads of security. I have a cat 1 clifford alarm/immob, a tracking system (gps system, also tracks if moved and engine not on!) and a disklok, but all in all, its only a deterrant, not a cure to car crime. The more visable the deterrant the less likely it is to be taken (unless its a pro, then just say bye to it). Next step?? a large solid iron post in the path to stop the car going anywhere!!!

Tony
Old 08 July 2000, 08:27 AM
Smudge
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Agree with the "behind the passenger seat stuff - only ever a problem if you have a car load, and then put it in the boot. A word of advice though, it very easily scratches the scooby's plasticine interior if you bang it around, and NEVER put it on the seat itself. The velcro will pull at the "mesh cover" and put 100, 000 miles of "wear" on it in seconds. Trust me - I did it. Bu99er!

Smudge