Sponsored by:

Fecking Gatso !!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 21 June 2004, 11:32 PM
S7EV3N
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fecking Gatso !!!!!!

Was driving my motor in Greenock(scotland) last night and came upon a new speed camera. I spotted it easy and wasnt driving fast anyway. I mentioned it to my mates who were in the car. I was busy commenting how it was your own fault if you got caught by a gatso these days cos the majority are quite obviously positioned, whilst driving through it at 29mph on my speedo, when the ****** flashed me twice. Didnt flash the cars behind which were doing a similar speed. Are they trained to flash Scoobies only ? What do u think I should do ? I was planing to wait for the 14 days to see if I hear anything but any better advice would be appreciated.
Old 21 June 2004, 11:44 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Nothing you can do until the NIP arrives. If you're lucky, it won't

Chris
Old 21 June 2004, 11:52 PM
Paul_M
Scooby Regular

Apparently they do work (well at least the one near the BP petrol station, if it's the one on the dual carriageway I dunno), speaking to a taxi driver one night on the way out on the p1ss and he told me one of his mates got done.

Chances are though if it flashed at 29 it's ****'d so ignore it and in the unlikely case of getting a NIP just insist you were under 30 and ask for the pics - it will be thrown out.
Old 21 June 2004, 11:53 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

If you werent speeding , you shouldnt have anything to worry about.If Gatso did flash ,It would have recorded your actual speed.Saying that,I read somewhere that our car's Milometers / speedometers can be inaccurate.Therefore, I now try to drive under the maximum limit,not just on it e.g.28 in 30,not 30 in 30.
I think you will be ok mate.
Old 21 June 2004, 11:56 PM
Paul_M
Scooby Regular

They are inaccurate but in the opposite direction, i.e. the speedo will always read over the real speed (unless you've messed with the gearing or fitted wrong size tyres etc). So if the speedo reads 30 chances are you're doing 27 or 28. I have a digital readout from the ECU and that shows 27 IIRC when the speedo is bang on 30.
Old 21 June 2004, 11:57 PM
S7EV3N
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=Paul_M](well at least the one near the BP petrol station, if it's the one on the dual carriageway I dunno)

It was the one on the dual carraigeway, near to the VW and Ford dealers. I've seen the tarffic police in the side streets there so many times in the past that i really wouldnt speed excessivly there at anyime.
Old 21 June 2004, 11:57 PM
Lum
Scooby Regular

Beleive it or not they do actually check the photos to see if they represent an actual offence.

Chances are nothing will come of this as most forces dont even bother issuing a NIP until the speed is 35 or more. Also your speedo will overread by a small amount so you were probably only doing about 27.

The gatso was probably triggered by the radar locking onto something else, possibly an unseen biker or maybe even something being thrown past the gatso.

The local kids around here have taken to swinging a weight on the end of some string in front of gatsos to make them flash continually so it's presumably not too hard to set them off with small non-car objects.
Old 22 June 2004, 12:11 AM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

This one may have been defective. I saw a red light camera in Central London flashing like mad at the traffic going perpendicular to the direction it was facing. The pictures must have been a bit confusing at first to say the least...
Old 22 June 2004, 01:04 PM
WR1 Ant
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by Lum
The local kids around here have taken to swinging a weight on the end of some string in front of gatsos to make them flash continually so it's presumably not too hard to set them off with small non-car objects.
Now theres an idea just pay the local kids to do this and use up all the film, plod would soon get fed up with replaceing the film !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 22 June 2004, 01:21 PM
Subarstar
Scooby Regular

S7EV3N, was there anything passing in the opposite direction at the time?

I have had a speed camera flash, as I was driving through, but the car coming towards me (doing well over 30) was actually the one that set it off, even though the camera was on my side of the road.

If you weren't doing over 30, you'll be OK I would have thought.
Old 22 June 2004, 02:16 PM
Cider boy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jerome
This one may have been defective. I saw a red light camera in Central London flashing like mad at the traffic going perpendicular to the direction it was facing. The pictures must have been a bit confusing at first to say the least...
Not the one on the A4 just past Chiswick is it mate?? At the crossroads? That bugger always seems to flashing like mad, usually at nothing or at oncoming traffic! Shame to see it wasting it's film like that

Matt
Old 22 June 2004, 02:26 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had one go off at me before when I was doing 30 mph in a 30 zone I wasn't driving my car though but I never heard anything about it.
Old 22 June 2004, 02:50 PM
witness
Scooby Regular

AND the answe is don't speed!! Also make sure your speedo is accurate!!
Old 22 June 2004, 03:24 PM
c5_wagon_work
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by witness
SHUT UP
Old 22 June 2004, 03:58 PM
andykidman
Scooby Regular

At 30mph your speedo will read correctly (within a tolerance of 1%) this is a set standard for all new vehicles and has been for as long as i can remember. So you dont need to make sure your speedo is accurate, cause it will be!!
So if you were doing 29mph on the speedo, then you will definatley not get an NIP throught the post
Old 22 June 2004, 05:01 PM
Lum
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by witness
There is no such thing as an accurate speedo, unless you have managed to invent tyres that do not wear down with use.

IIRC they're allowed to overread by up to 10% but not underread at all, therefore most manufacturers aim to have them overread by 5% so that the largest number of units pass.

Subaru may do something different, may make better speedos, I don't know. I'll find out when my company finally buy one and I get to compare it to my GPS.

When is someone going to make a speedo that works by bouncing a laser off the road or by some other method that is not affected by tyre wear?
Old 22 June 2004, 05:20 PM
andykidman
Scooby Regular

Speedo's are more or less accurate at 30mph, as thats what they are tested at, at other speeds the accuracy tolerance is wider. and i agree with Lum, they will not under read.
Old 22 June 2004, 05:32 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

Some time ago the film was being changed on a gatso. The BiB wanted to test the camera shutter, so with no film in he lowered the trigger to, say 20mph.

Car drives past, click, click. Working fine. Loads film, puts camera back up and drives off.

A week later gets a note from the central processing department reminding him to change the speed back next time
Old 22 June 2004, 05:41 PM
Cider boy
Scooby Regular

I think the scoob speedo is a lot more accurate then most, mine certainly is. The easiest way to check is find a flat section of dual / motorway and then a convoy of Artics that are all travelling close together.

Sit behind them at the same speed and see what your speedo says, the trucks will be doing 56MPH! My scooby reads about 58/59, my old Focus used to read about 63/64

Matt
Old 22 June 2004, 06:27 PM
Steve001
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have one thats on my way to work, ITS OUT OF ITS HEAD!!!

gone through at 35 (speedo reading) no flash

the other day it flashed me at 26. Whats that all about
Old 22 June 2004, 06:31 PM
TRF
Scooby Regular

i wouldnt worry mate, at 30 on my speedo my road angel says about 26-8, so with an indicated 29 you will be well in the limit
Old 22 June 2004, 09:06 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Its remembered who you are and added the over speed to the reading today

your nicked!!!!

lol

Mart
Old 22 June 2004, 11:05 PM
S7EV3N
Scooby Regular

Good advice all round. Well that is if you excuse witness. Nuff said!!! Ill just sit on it and see what happens. Ill do time before i pay the fine. And dont start me on the points. My licence is clean and thats the way that its going to stay (positive mental attitude).