Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Travelling towards a Gatso that flashed!

Search this Thread

Old 07 September 2000, 07:34 AM
jwhitton
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Can a Gatso (big grey box on a pole) get a reading pointing towards the driver on the otherside of the road to it? There are no distance markings on the side of the road I was travelling on but the Gatso did flash at me! Doh! There wasnt a car on the other side of the road, so the Scooby must have triggered it!

jon
Old 07 September 2000, 08:03 AM
Richard F
Scooby Regular

Yes it can and you won't get nicked for it
Old 07 September 2000, 08:59 AM
Yex
Scooby Regular

Question

Interesting this thing about Gatso's flashing as they are facing you. A colleague at work had this happen to him at about 2am one night. When the Gatso flashed he was startled by it as he had no idea it was there and momentarily lost control of the car. Would have made an interesting insurance claim.

Yex
Old 07 September 2000, 09:02 AM
BarryK
Scooby Regular

Wink

You are an evil speeder.

Slow down before somebody gets killed!

And don't stick your tongue out at the camera just because you're facing it! This wastes expensive film.

Old 07 September 2000, 10:43 AM
jwhitton
Scooby Regular

The camera would not have seen my sticking out tongue since I had my **** hanging out of the window.

jon
Old 07 September 2000, 11:13 AM
BarryK
Scooby Regular

Talking

Ha,ha,ha. Top Man!!!
Old 07 September 2000, 05:20 PM
Jamie Watts
Scooby Regular

We had a speed camera installed in our village. The local parish mag reported that in the first week after installation 45 motorists had been caught speeding into the village (on the camera side of the road) and that approx ten times that number were exit violations (wrong side of the road for camera).

What I deduce from that is that 45 people got nicked, but the other 450'ish didn't.
Old 07 September 2000, 06:28 PM
CharlieWhiskey
Scooby Regular

Be carefull! I know of at least two sites with genuine 2 way Gatso's

Add to that the fact that you can hardly see the new type of flourescent silver/grey road markings until you are on top of them!(they stand out lovelly on the piccy though).

I appologise in embarassment at working for Serco!(although not the Gatso division thank god)

Chris

[This message has been edited by CharlieWhiskey (edited 07 September 2000).]
Old 08 September 2000, 11:37 AM
AWD
Scooby Regular

Smile

There's a GATSO like that in Sunbury on a 40mph road. Driving towards it at just over 40 triggers it and scares the people coming the other way...

I know that having been on both sides of the road when the camera went off. Scared me as I was doing 40 (on the speedo) as I went through and I thought it was me. It was only later when I was with someone who went through on the other side doing 45 that I realised that someone on the other side had set it off for me.
Old 08 September 2000, 01:19 PM
steve McCulloch
Scooby Regular

But all this is irrelevant anyway? - as another post has stated - under the European law - they are not valid anymore

I laugh at the proposed new front facing ones also - they will almost certainly be illegal as they discriminate against the car driver as the motorbiker gets away with it!
Old 08 September 2000, 06:02 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

In the dark I had a Gatso flash at a car driving the other way whilst I was passing a school. It literally blinded me for a couple of seconds. I wasn't speeding, but could have easily had an accident whilst blinded. So much for having them placed for safety reasons.

As for the existing white calibations on the road, if I come across these markings somewhere unfamiliar, I instinctively brake. Even when I'm not speeding.

If the snidey b**stards are now making the lines harder to see, it is blatantly obvious that revenue genration is the motive for these contraptions and not safety.

I think statistics proving they are mounted at an accident black spot (the original justification for these things!) should be made available. We could all see that most of them are mounted where they will get the most money with safety a secondary issue.

A typical example is Police are prosecuting a bloke for warning drivers about a speed trap with a cardboard sign (something I've been tempted to do numerous times!). If safety was the only concern, what are they worried about??? People weren't speeding, surely the whole object of the exercise. What would happen if I put up a sign warning of a non-existant speed trap. Would I get done? No, 'cos I wouldn't be affecting revenue. Nuff sed.

Jerome.
Old 08 September 2000, 10:51 PM
Josh L
Scooby Regular

Regardless of the Human Rights bit, I was told ( by a local Copper) that the Gatsos with the round windows, usually pink I beleive, are digital ones which can catch drivers on both sides.

Apparently the long-term goal is to link them all to the computer system so the tickets are issued automatically.

1984 and all that!
Old 09 September 2000, 02:31 AM
scrappydoo
Scooby Regular

Anybody heard of the new gatso detecters called Geodesy. They use GPS to detect whereabouts you are then tells you how close you are to a gatso. Has anyone got one. If so do they work?
Reguards
Scrappy.