Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Disklok,Autolock....which should I choose?

Search this Thread

Old 04 July 2000, 06:44 PM
CLS
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

My Impreza is about to arrive from Holland in the next few weeks.It won't have a cat 1 for a few days and so I intend to get either a disklok or autolok. I'd be grateful for any feedback on the best/easiest to fit as my wife will also be using the car. I'd also be obliged for any information about the cheapest place to buy one. If any one out there can recommend a cat 1 alarm fitter in the north west that would be a great help.

Old 05 July 2000, 12:01 AM
RESSE
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Question

Tony,
I have enquired whether a 'pager alarm' is any good i.e. notifies you when door is opened or alarm is triggered, but experts say the Department of Trade and Industry has not yet given approval to these - something to do with the Wireless Act of 1949. I think the only way to stop a 'casual' thief is to have visible deterrants, but I have also been told that vandals will smash entry into the car for the fun of it! You cannot beat them (yet).
Old 05 July 2000, 12:02 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Just two stickers on the outside of the car!

I'm not saying that you should only use a Barrier Lock, but in conjunction with other security systems, you should be laughing!!

I don't like to mention what I have, but it would be fair to say, that if they can drive the car away, then they deserve it!!!

Andy
Old 05 July 2000, 07:14 AM
Kev
Scooby Regular

CLS..

No question it has to be the disklok ... see other thread ...

K
Old 05 July 2000, 08:20 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hi CLS,
first of all, which part of the north west are you from??? As for the choice of autolock and disclok, has to be disclok, its harder to put on but looks more effective.
Alarms and immobilisers normally go down to what you want out of a system, some people like cobra, some scorpion, myself, i prefer clifford, it also depends on how much you want to spend, a tracking system may be called for by the insurance company and a cat 1 system may not (like mine), anyway if your in the manchester area give Tim at Trilogy a ring, he fits a wide range of systems and is mobile, just give him a date and he'll give you advice on your choice of alarm/immobs his tel no is 0411079779, he's self employed and has been in the business for 11 years so he knows his stuff (fitted mine, no scratches etc)

Tony
Old 05 July 2000, 10:33 AM
RESSE
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Smile

Get a disklock (completely cover steering wheel) from Halford approx. cost £75.00.

Associate of mine says if thiefs want the car they will take it whatever is fitted - even started to melt the door handles with a blow torch and knocking out the locking mechanism. Fit good quality visible deterrants - don't bother with Tracker as I 'lost' a 1997 BMW 318iS. Car was stolen at 1830hrs but I was not aware until 2345hrs and tracker did not activate, also Tracker's free call number 0800....... cannot be obtained from a mobile phone.
Old 05 July 2000, 11:16 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

I'd have I have a Disklok, but since getting the Barrier Lock, I don't use the Disklok!!

Although £200 is quite a bit to pay, it is a Thatcham 3 device, and it got £100 off my last premium!! OK, so it hasn't paid itself off, but it's so much easier to use than the Disklok!!!

I think if I start parking more dodgy areas, I'll use both, but in the mean time, I think the Barrier Lock is a much better device!!!

Andy

Old 05 July 2000, 11:39 AM
Triggaaar
Scooby Regular

Smile

Andy,

From reading recent posts, I understand that the barrier deadlock is not visible to the potential thief, meaning that by the time they notice you have one, they have broken in, and are likely to cause more damage for the hell of it.

Is their anything visible from the outside?
The Mul-T-Lock however was said to be simillar, but stand out as a deterant. Any comments?
Old 05 July 2000, 11:42 AM
DavidRB
Scooby Regular

The biggest advantage of a Disklok is that it is a visible deterrant, so it (hopefully) dissuades the thief from even bothering to break in. I like the Disklok because you can't get it off by cutting the steering wheel (apparently very common these days).

I imagine that a Barrier Lock is a lot more effective in stopping someone driving off with the car, but they might already be inside the car before they realise. Criminals who get into cars, but can't drive them away, tend to slash the seats & interior as a way of venting their frustration.
Old 05 July 2000, 11:43 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I know that etheridge-bird says tracking systems are not worth the money, but i dont rate tracker anyway, for one its only traceable if there is a car or helecopter in the area, 2 if it goes to scotland just say goodbye to it as there are only 2 base stations up there for it, this is the reason i have a gps system fitted, it activates when the car is either moved without the engine started or if the car is "hotwired"
far better than tracker and depending on which option you go for they stay with your car if its recovered in one piece and they give rolling commentary to the police to location, speed etc.

Tony
Old 05 July 2000, 05:32 PM
MickeyG
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

You could always get a cat 1 alarm fitted in Holland. The dealer I bought mine through fitted the alarm prior to me picking it up, complete with installation certificate for insurance purposes .

MickeyG
Old 05 July 2000, 05:43 PM
Dave Coulshaw
Scooby Regular

Forget Disklok get the Autolock - £25 cheaper, easier to use/store/fit, just as visable, and had recently performed better in security tests.
Old 05 July 2000, 06:26 PM
Rob W
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

It's got to be the DISKLOK covers entire steering wheel, easy to fit and stow behind passenger seat.

Rob
Old 05 July 2000, 06:55 PM
ChrisB

Thumbs up

Have a read of the recent Auto Express tests..
Old 05 July 2000, 07:37 PM
Steve Perriam
Scooby Regular

Talking

if you read the magazine when those tests in autoexpress were carried out you'll see a comment that the disklok people had discovered a manufaturing fault with the product tested.

upon supplying several more it held out for much longer and i think it said it would have won the test (cant check as magazine is at work as someone wanted to see the article)

i got a disklok as i'd seen 2/3 good reports of it. looks good as a deterrent and covers the whole wheel.

easy to put on and take off.

steve
Old 06 July 2000, 06:12 PM
Triggaaar
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

What's up with those test figures - 127 secs, and 74secs?

Last I heard these things took half an hour to remove - have the thiefs just developed new techniques, or were the items faulty - or do they not fit fiestas as well as scoobs?
Makes me wonder whether to bother.
Old 06 July 2000, 06:43 PM
CLS
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

MickeyG.
You say you had a Cat 1 fitted in Holland, I was told that Cat 1 only existed in the U.K or I would have probably asked the supplying dealer to do this for me. Could you give me more information please i.e what kind of alarm and price etc. I've had the 'happy'news today that it's still 5 weeks to delivery . Any info. would be most gratefully received.
Old 06 July 2000, 06:59 PM
Steve_Yeowart
Scooby Regular

If you are from the Northwest don't bother with Halfords for the DiskLok the headquarters of the company is near Charnock Richard services in Chorley and they can be purchsed from there cheaper than anywhere else

If you need directions drop me a line
Old 06 July 2000, 07:08 PM
Triggaaar
Scooby Regular

Question

Steve,

Do they mail order? (although it is a fair weight)
Old 06 July 2000, 09:51 PM
CLS
Scooby Regular

A big thanks to all who answered this thread!
I want a Disklok my wife wants an autolok.

I just want my scooby, anyone else had delays from Holland?