Sponsored by:

Scoobs on way to/ from NBO

Search this Thread

Old 15 June 2004, 03:48 PM
P20SPD
Drag it!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scoobs on way to/ from NBO

I just been having a lengthy conversation with client of mine, who instead of discuss important business matters, firstly struck off with speach of how amazed he was at the state of driving shown by a lot, in fact a large amount, of subaru drivers through/around masham on Sunday.

He witnessed several occurences of over taking on blind bends, convoy overtaking manouveres, in fact several times being forced onto the grass verge on his cycle for his own safety.

In response, all i could say was, "that is why i do not attend such events (after explaining the probable event), as you can not take account of other peoples driving antics in situations like that"

He also said that he applauded the spirit of the event, raising money for cancer, but risking other peoples lives by driving in the manner shown, is perhaps a negative aspect that people should consider more.

When people organise events that involve a convoy of any sort, i cringe at the prospect of getting caught up in it. The actions of a few tarnish the sensible people with a bad reputation.

Take it easy out folks when you go to events like this, its not a race.

Steven
Old 15 June 2004, 04:16 PM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Having been as a passenger as part of a run out once.. it was fun until people were driving beyond there abilities and nearly wiped out an oncoming motorbike. < shakes head >
Old 15 June 2004, 04:43 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

It's always a shame that the few tarnish the many on such occasions, such as the 3-4 who decided to use the showground for donuts at the end of the event . I am happy to report that our convoy of 44 cars behaved impecably on our journey from Wakefield to the NBO, sticking rigidly to speed limits and making every effort possible not to hinder other road users. On days like this we are all ambassadors for the various communities associated with the marque, and as such should consider all other Scoob owners as well as the general public.
Old 15 June 2004, 05:14 PM
cw42
Scooby Regular

here here corradoboy. I was the leader of the convoy from charnock richard services on the m6, and can honestly say it was a fantastic sight to behold, 40+ scoobys in a line, all doing 65mph on the motorway, and behaving themselves on the excellent B6265 to ripon
In fact, we only overtook 1 car on the B road, and that screwed everyone up as not all could get past, so I didnt bother again (he was going 35 in a 60!, tourist)
The only problem we had was when we had to stop and regroup at one point after diving into a garage for the wife to have a pee This caused a bit of mayhem as I was the only one who knew where we were going
All in all though, a great day out, and thouroughly enjoyed ourselves.
It's got to be said though, go out any weekend, and you'll see lots of biker convoys, all trying there best to get past lines of cars, and not always in the best places to overtake
chris.
Old 15 June 2004, 07:07 PM
SUBTYPER
Scooby Senior

It is a shame a few spoil it for the many totally agree but not just subaru owners are to blame cyclists that ride three abreast and travel in packs of twenty slowing the general motorist down can be a complete pain in the neck also. Maybe the convoy leaders should be issued with guide lines on how to lead a convoy and maybe regional convoy leaders hold meetings planning the route to be taken thus lessing the risk of outrageous overtakes to try and keep up with the guys infront. just a thought.
Old 15 June 2004, 08:30 PM
MrDBM
Scooby Regular

"fun until people were driving beyond there abilities"

couldn't agree more
Old 15 June 2004, 08:55 PM
Dave_A
Scooby Regular

Shame that the actions of a few tarnish the rest. I was part of the convoy from Charnock Richards, and the speed we drove was below the speedlimit at all times, and like Chris said, we passed only one car on the whole of the B road's journey.

There is always a danger that the red mist will descend at these events, but it didnt for us! Not everyone feels the need to drive like a tit, and when theres 40+ cars of similar power, nobody felt the need to prove how big their **** was.

Dave
http://www.scoobyphotos.com
dave@scoobyphotos.com

Trending Topics

Old 15 June 2004, 10:02 PM
Scoobybits
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by corradoboy
It's always a shame that the few tarnish the many on such occasions, such as the 3-4 who decided to use the showground for donuts at the end of the event . I am happy to report that our convoy of 44 cars behaved impecably on our journey from Wakefield to the NBO, sticking rigidly to speed limits and making every effort possible not to hinder other road users. On days like this we are all ambassadors for the various communities associated with the marque, and as such should consider all other Scoob owners as well as the general public.

beat me to it matey!
Old 15 June 2004, 11:27 PM
*Sonic*
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Another one here that was part of the convoy led by CW42, and we had a great safe run over to the NBO
Old 16 June 2004, 09:14 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Our convoy was led superbly by Craft, and we drove quickly but not too fast - keeping to speed limits and being courtious to other drivers is always paramount on our runs and was upheld again on Sunday.

As for cyclists, what a royal pain in the **** they all were on Sunday Ask your client Steven if he was in the 2 groups of cyclists riding 3 and 4 a breast and holding up HUGE amounts of traffic when I was coming back from NBO.

They then had the arrogance to shout at cars who came too close to their big bunch - w4nkers!! I feckin hate up their own **** groups of cyclists
Old 16 June 2004, 12:03 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Cyclists who use the public highway without paying for the privilege, who almost certainly have no personal liability insurance, have served no formal education or testing to qualify as competent road users and should they commit any traffic offense, will undoubtably be either let off or it will be ignored as there is little profit available to the powers that be. Along with horses, should be banished to bridleways
Old 16 June 2004, 12:28 PM
Dave_A
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dream Weaver
....what a royal pain in the **** they all were on Sunday Ask your client Steven if he was in the 2 groups of cyclists riding 3 and 4 a breast and holding up HUGE amounts of traffic when I was coming back from NBO..
We came across a group of cyclists on the way up, riding 4 or 5 abreast on the road. Really useful, and such good road manners as well, keeping into the side etc.

Dave
dave@scoobyphotos.com
Old 16 June 2004, 01:26 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

The ones on the way back were horrendous - for about 3 miles there was a line of 20 cars (with me at the back ) stuck behind this group of 10+ idiot cyclists taking up the WHOLE road. We were doing 15mph for 3 miles, which is near impossible without kangarooing in a 205.

When I finally got my turn to go past them i took a run up and blasted them all with the Magnex/Rev limiter/Popping batallion that my car produces when it wants

Bloody ***** - probably all dentists or something
Old 16 June 2004, 03:20 PM
SUBTYPER
Scooby Senior

Hope your dentist isnt reading this dreamweaver. LOL
Old 16 June 2004, 03:23 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

I haven't had great times with dentists (search past posts) and they are mostly smug buggers
Old 16 June 2004, 03:38 PM
SUBTYPER
Scooby Senior

Yeah I know mate but I aint as brave as you and can only say nice things as I dont fancy that drill finding its way into a nerve mate. (Whispers) I agree about smugness tho
Old 16 June 2004, 04:14 PM
cw42
Scooby Regular

totally disagree with some of your comments about cyclists
I am a road and off-road cyclist when not in my scooby, and have found myself in a convoy of roadies before now. I can't personally see the problem of riding 3 abreast on the open road, safety in numbers and all that.
Just imagine, as we cruised up in our convoys on sunday morning, all going at or below the posted speed limits, you were stuck behind us! Try getting past a convoy of 40+ scoobys on a twisty B road
Same thing in my view, would we have yeilded? (sp) I think not.
My tuppence
chris.
ps, blasting past cyclists with Magnex/Rev limiter/Popping batallion going off is really grown up Bet the cyclists loved that glad you were in a 205, and not a scooby.
Old 16 June 2004, 04:47 PM
supertouring
Scooby Regular

There is a thread currently running about middlelane hoggers on motorways, and the answer to this thread and that is simple - courtesy.

All roads users - cyclists, horse riders, motorcylists, Ford Mondeo owners, scooby owners, etc etc etc, should show courtesy to each other. Cycling 2 abreast is fine if you are not holding up other traffice. Driving quickly on a B road is fine as long as you are not forcing cyclist to move out of the way. Driving in the centre lane on a motorway is fine as long as you are not holding up other traffic.

When road users share the road, rather than resorting to us-them arguments, the world will be a better place for all of them.
Old 16 June 2004, 05:49 PM
cw42
Scooby Regular

nicely put dai, totally agree.
chris.
Old 16 June 2004, 09:26 PM
Dave_A
Scooby Regular

Yep, agree with supertouring on this one - common road manners is whats needed. Whether I'm on my bike (pushbike) or in the car, if I'm dawdling along minding my own business, if anyone wants to come past me I'll be as accomodating as possible, if the road is narrow or twisty, I'll stop and let traffic come past, rather than hold it up.

If a group of cyclists is aware that there is a queue of cars a mile long behind them, they should perhaps try and help those cars by cycling no more than two abreast to allow trafific to get past. Riding 3 or 4 abreast is a bit like somebody in a car driving at 25mph down the center of the road - just a hinderance and a danger to themselves as much as the other traffic on the road - its fine if theres no one else around, but on a busy road........

Next topic - horses, and why they should have to be taxed and insured for use on the road....

all imho of course

Dave
dave@scoobyphotos.com
Old 16 June 2004, 09:49 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cw42
totally disagree with some of your comments about cyclists
I am a road and off-road cyclist when not in my scooby, and have found myself in a convoy of roadies before now. I can't personally see the problem of riding 3 abreast on the open road, safety in numbers and all that.
Just imagine, as we cruised up in our convoys on sunday morning, all going at or below the posted speed limits, you were stuck behind us! Try getting past a convoy of 40+ scoobys on a twisty B road
Same thing in my view, would we have yeilded? (sp) I think not.
My tuppence
chris.
ps, blasting past cyclists with Magnex/Rev limiter/Popping batallion going off is really grown up Bet the cyclists loved that glad you were in a 205, and not a scooby.
Sorry but cycling 3 and 4 a breast and smiling whilst you hold everyone up is not courteous in my book - I am also a cyclist so not having a go at them, just this particular bunch. Cyclists dont pay road tax, car users do so should have priority IMHO. When out on the bike I always yield to traffic, and stop if necessary.

And whats the safety in numbers comment Do you risk being mugged whilst cycling in single file

On a busy Sunday at 5pm cyclists need to be single file so that traffic isnt held up. End of!!

PS the batallion comment wasn't serious thats just how my car sounds anyway