ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Grin factor 10 roads?

Search this Thread

Old 04 July 2000, 03:57 PM
Fosters
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

I live in surrey now and what with the amount of traffic and cameras around I have to travel a little further for those roads where after a run you can't wipe the grin off your face for a whole day!

I originally came from north dorset and reckon that the roads there are brilliant to drive round and are also relatively uncluttered.

I've done 1300 miles in my uk my00 now and am hankering after some more nice road...

Where are your grin factor 10 roads then? If they're near enough, I'd like to pay them a visit.
Old 04 July 2000, 05:06 PM
D Brown
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Almost any non-urban road in Scotland that doesn't have (T) after it! Doubly so if it's north of Perth and triply so if it's west of the A9. But not very close to you!!

My GF10 is A85 Perth to Oban (when quiet) or A939 Lecht, but always within the speed limits.

DB
Old 04 July 2000, 05:27 PM
CharlieWhiskey
Scooby Regular

Cool

D.Brown: I must agree wholeheartedly with your recommendations North the Border but, pray, how does one traverse the Lecht and keep within the speed limits? especially downhill!

Fosters: Sorry to here the roads down south are so boring. There are plenty of great roads in the Midlands, Wales, Lakes, North Yorkshire, West Yorkshire, Peak District etc. etc.

On my various travels in recent years I recall that there are still a couple of roads around the Ashford area which are quite grinnable. Wiltshire was also quite entertaining last time I was in Salisbury.

Are you thinking of anywhere in particular?

Chris

Old 04 July 2000, 06:15 PM
Kevin Tree
Scooby Regular

Try the A272 Midhurst to Petersfield, haven't tried it in the Scooby yet, did try it several times on the motorbikes and it is a big 10 on the Richter scale

Kevin
Old 04 July 2000, 07:59 PM
Fosters
Scooby Regular

actually the A29 south to worthing is a 'kin brilliant road. when I last went down there, I saw so many bikes I felt a tad intimidated

[This message has been edited by Fosters (edited 04-07-2000).]
Old 04 July 2000, 08:45 PM
Nick
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fosters

One of our Exmoor runs should suit you I think..
Old 04 July 2000, 10:14 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Cool

Fosters

Further to what Kevin has said - take the A273 from the A23 (just before the Burgess Hill turn off(where the meet was on Sunday)) and follow this accross to Billingshurst. You can then pick up the A272 (turning left through Billingshurst will take you through Pulborough and you can pick up the Midhurst road that Kevin mentioned). A29 also recommended.

Might be worth talking to Paul Nebbs (pnebbs) as I think he said he worked in and around this area - he must have some good routes.

Enjoy
Old 05 July 2000, 01:00 PM
Petoir
Scooby Regular

Two of the best.

The Cat and Fiddle that joins Macclesfield to Buxton, but now I've moved down South the finest drive I've had (with zero traffic!!!) is the b roads off the A21 down to Rye on the south coast.
Old 05 July 2000, 01:03 PM
skipjack
Scooby Regular

Smile

GF10

Believe it or not, the B-road that connects the village where i live (hallaton) to the a47 leicester-peterborough road.

short and sweet, perfect for blowing the cobwebs away after a long drive.

two and a half miles, no more. it swoops, dips, loops, up and down, with one savage hairpin, all in very fast succession with no more than 100 yards of straight road in any one place. i was in shock after having discovered it by accident coming back from a cricket match in rutland.

sadly, it's over too soon but the good ones always leave you wanting more (eh? you sure you're talking about roads?)
Old 05 July 2000, 01:22 PM
DavidLewis
Scooby Regular

Petoir,

Came across the 'Cat and Fiddle' late one night when driving home from Manchester to London and the motorway was all clogged up. Just took any road that seemed to head in a south-easterly direction to find the M1. Drove on this deserted road and almost turned around to do it again. Had no real idea where I was until I got home and followed my route on the map. Why is it called the cat and fiddle?
Old 05 July 2000, 01:39 PM
RoShamBo
Scooby Regular

The A272 is indeed a great road - but beware....just outside Midhurst in Fernhurst there is a bugger of a Gatso at the botton of the steep hill coming into the village - where the limit drops to 30mph.
Its fairly new & from experience I know it is loaded with film - got done for doing 42 past it....

Ro
Old 05 July 2000, 04:30 PM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

Smile

David,

It is called the Cat & Fiddle road as the pub located high up in the middle of nowhere adjacent to it is called, yes you guessed it, The Cat & Fiddle. The funny thing is that on a good weekend this pub despite it's location would qualify for busiest in Britain with the number of petrolheads (cars and bikes) that go up there. The road by the way is fantastic, but will catch you out if you are not careful - witness the number of holes in the dry stone walls alongside it.

Regards,

tiggers
Old 05 July 2000, 11:53 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Cheers Ro for the A272 speed trap - sorry you got done . I haven't been down there for a couple of months.

Just hope West Sussex CC don't follow Surrey CC's lead and start painting their Gatso's green to match in with the trees and bushes - nice!
Old 06 July 2000, 11:49 AM
Petoir
Scooby Regular

David, as Tiggers pointed out it is named after the pub, which I think is the first or second highest pub in England - in terms of sea level...

Even worse these days, I've heard there are regular police helicopter speed traps because it is so popular with the gas guzzlers, 2 and 4 wheel. When I lived in Buxton I think there were between 12 and 15 deaths a year up there. As Tiggers said, that road can bite.