ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Not so happy now!

Search this Thread

Old 05 July 2000, 08:44 PM
ARRON BIRD
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Well I must say that over the last 2 days my P1 ownership has taken a turn for the worse.
I noticed when I picked the car up last Saturday(1st July) a few paint blemishes on the roof and bonnet. Phone the dealer I thought to myself and the dealer assured me that when the first service was done they would look at the paint and sort it in due course, no problem then.
To day I filled it up with fuel and it took 11 miles for the fuel guage to read full????????
Now 560 miles later I`m travelling down the A1 by Baldock on a downhill stretch of road when a van pulls out sort of in front of me, enough to make me brake hard for some distance and the £1600 brake upgrade kit starts to stop me with supreme confidence.........to start with then I`m subjected to the drone of that " glazing of the pads?!?!?"
Now I thought the brakes were an upgrade?
The car also pulls to the left a tad and the steering wheel is of centre slightly, and I`ve found a "RUN" in my £34000 paintwork.
Now belive me I`m not a fussy kind of guy but I`m beginning to get a bad feeling about all this. And to cop it all this is all during the "RUNNING IN PERIOD"
Will I ever be able to drive the car as it was designed?
Old 05 July 2000, 09:46 PM
ARRON BIRD
Scooby Regular

Angry

And I`m still waiting for my BLOODY backbox!
Old 05 July 2000, 10:27 PM
PhilHulse
Scooby Regular

Aaron, you must have a 'Friday' car. Mine has none of these faults, in fact the quality of the paint finish is excellent. You must have been moving pretty quick to have to break so hard. I've got the standard brakes and although havent had to brake to avoid anything in an emergency, they are excellent. Probably crap on a track day though. You need another P1 to compare with, maybe a track day? or a meet?

Phil.

p.s. When run in it's like nothing else I've ever driven. Brilliant
Old 05 July 2000, 10:55 PM
ARRON BIRD
Scooby Regular

Angry

Phil, the brakes have been superb up till today, but I hav`nt been really pushing it.
My old 97 5 door took more stick than I gave the P1 today and I paid for better brakes. When I drove the Prodrive car with the upgrade fitted I drove it at silly speeds?!?
What do I do ,ask for another car?
After all I only waited 8 months for this one!!!!!!!!!!!!
Worth the money?
Not at the moment mate!
Dont also forget its gonna be me doin all the running about, Cambridgeshire to Taplow!
I dont blame the dealer because they hav`nt even seen the car yet,, it gets serviced next Thursday. But are they going to get all my hicups sorted that day?
I can see trip after trip on the cards!

Old 05 July 2000, 10:56 PM
Kevin Tree
Scooby Regular

Arron,
I have tried a heavy brake test with the standard brakes and they produced a WOW from the passenger who had been in my MY97. So that is a big ? as to what is going on with your upgrade. As Phil said, the car is great when it is run in

I thought that I had 2 defects on my paintwork but upon close inspection found that they were remnants of the coating stuff that they put on during transit.

Kevin
Old 05 July 2000, 10:56 PM
Rum*
Scooby Regular

Not good Arron....you need to be speaking to the dealer sharpish!

Just to rub salt into the wound...I'm having my back box fitted tomorrow morning...

Need to speak soon about various things...might catch up on Friday morning..

All the best

Rum
Old 05 July 2000, 10:58 PM
ARRON BIRD
Scooby Regular

Cheers Tom!
Old 05 July 2000, 11:05 PM
Rum*
Scooby Regular

.....couldn't resist...
Old 05 July 2000, 11:06 PM
PhilHulse
Scooby Regular

Tom, sorry to digress but are you going to Brands? I need to check out track day insurance.

Phil
Old 05 July 2000, 11:08 PM
Nikolai
Scooby Newbie

But then - I'm still waiting or my P1...
Old 05 July 2000, 11:15 PM
Rum*
Scooby Regular

Phil,

Not going to Brands - I'm in the maldives!!

Give me a ring and I'll check out what cover we can sort for you?

Tom
Old 06 July 2000, 07:35 AM
chuckster
Scooby Regular

Arron,
You talk of running over to Taplow to see the dealer, is this your closest dealer?
I'd suggest that unless they volunteer to send a transporter for the car that you ditch them and go to a closer dealer, or at least threaten to. Any Subaru dealer would be happy to see you, regardless of where you bought the car.
Vote with your feet man. The guy's I bought my car from have royally pissed me off with niggly little problems, and seem to have relied on my appreciation of the car to cover their faults. Well forget it, I'm using another dealer from now on, and their stickers on the car are history, shame as the cars a great mobile ad.
Cheers,
Charles
Old 06 July 2000, 10:05 AM
Toby C
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Careful Chunkster, I know of one dealer that is only 100 yards from my house that don't like servicing cars that they didn't sale. New or used.
I'm having to go to Walch Group in Cambridge.

Arron, I saw a P1 in a pub carpark in Baldock about a month ago, was this you? Very nice motor.....
Old 06 July 2000, 10:41 AM
chuckster
Scooby Regular

Chunkster? Who you callin Chunky?
Unbelievable that a dealer could be so small minded, so I move house and all of a sudden I can't get my car serviced?. I havent had a problem with Wilsons in Romford or lancaster Sevenoaks offering their services, in fact I think any dealer turning my business away isn't one I'd want anything to do with anyway, sounds a little too like inbreds to me.
JD power indeed .
Chuck
Old 06 July 2000, 10:52 AM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
Aaron, what pads are used in the upgrade kit.

You can get major glazing problems on bedding in a new car with new fast road pads and new disks.

It is allways a bad thing bedding in new pads on new disks, especially when on fast road pads.

Get the dealer to deglaze your pads and have a look at the disks, do they still have the machine markings on them or have the pads now debured the disk surface?

If they look like they still have the original machine marks then you are probably gonna glaze the pads again.

See if you can get some normal spec road pads installed for a couple of hundred miles then get them to fit some DS2000 or similar pads, that should cure the glazing you are seeing.

Its a big no no running a car in on uprated pads, i know it can be unavoidable when the upgrade is from new but is very bad practice.

You will normally have some pulling to the side under breaking at the point where one disk is starting to be debured as they very rarely debur at the same time, that should go away after 200 miles or so from starting as by then the disks should be equally bedded in.