Sponsored by:

PPP for MY00

Search this Thread

Old 08 June 2004, 09:59 AM
TheSilverScoob
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PPP for MY00

Can you get the PPP for a MY00. I have had a look on Subaru’s web site and they have a MY99 one on there but nothing for a MY00. Is this the same one?

I am actually looking to get a nicer sound from the exhaust but I don’t want to invalidate the Subaru warranty. Any suggestions?

Phill
Old 08 June 2004, 10:24 AM
mgg
Scooby Regular

If you fit a sport after market backbox to your car, you will not invalidate your warranty. The Exhaust system is not covered on warranty as it is classed as a wear and tear product.
PPP is a great package, but its alot of cash, and then you have to consider the increase in your insurance.
However the Prodrive web site has some great info , take a look www.prodrive.com

You can get alternatives to the PPP and you will still get the same benefit.
Old 08 June 2004, 10:30 AM
TheSilverScoob
Scooby Regular

Would the alternatives your talking about void the warranty?

Phill
Old 08 June 2004, 10:57 AM
mgg
Scooby Regular

Easiest mod to change the sound of your car is obviously to change the exhaust and doing this will not affect your warranty.

If you had the ECU re-mapped unfortunatly your warranty is then void, but only on that part of the ECU, unless another problem occured else where and it was traceable to the ECU upgrade.

If you had the PPP then the warranty is not void, that is the big benefit, but downside is cost.

Im sure someone on here can point you in the right direction, you can get your car ECU re-mapped and its untraceable, so when it goes in for a service etc, subaru wont know its been chipped....unless they stick it on a rolling road..... which wont happen.

Its a tough decison deciding what route to take, go for the cheapest and get the same performance as PPP, or pay much more for PPP and keep it all above board??

The prodrive pack will prob set you back around £1700, then add £300 extra to your insurance for it, overall £2000.
To get the same mods done else where, exhaust, and ECU re-map you could prob get all done for less than £1000.
Old 08 June 2004, 11:19 AM
SteelX
Scooby Regular

If it's only the sound you want to change there are a multitude of "backbox" mods you can do which cover every preference (big bore very loud ones for example).

I have a Magnex 6x4" Oval on my MY00 and it's great. Also makes the car run "slightly" better. Cost is £100 extra on insurance, about £200 for the box.

Of course, if you want to increase the power the PPP or a mods from a 3rd party would be the way to go.

If you just have the car though, I would recommend NOT increasing the power as you need to get used to the current power (215BHP) which isn't any slouch and the best mods you could do imho would be...in PRIORITY order

Tyres (Goodyear F1's)
Back box.
Laser Wheel Alignment.
Brakes (at least better disks and pads on the front)
Eibach Springs and dampers.
Strut Brace (front and rear as the MY00 doesn't have a solid rear bulkhead - it's got a big hole in it for the fold down seat/boot thing)

THEN add some power

hth

Steel
Old 08 June 2004, 11:45 AM
TheSilverScoob
Scooby Regular

It's mostly the sound I am after at the moment. It does not have to sound like my boss’s TVR but I would like it to sound a little meatier

PS I don’t want to be heard approaching from the next village. Any suggestions of brand for a decent back box?

Phill
Old 08 June 2004, 12:03 PM
Nick Wadeson
Scooby Regular

I have had a look on Subaru’s web site and they have a MY99 one on there but nothing for a MY00. Is this the same one?
Yes, the PPP covers both 99 & 00MY.

I am actually looking to get a nicer sound from the exhaust but I don’t want to invalidate the Subaru warranty. Any suggestions?
The only Subaru UK approved silencer is a Prodrive WR sport version. All others will invalidate your warranty. To keep your warranty intact, you basically have a choice of our rear silencer or the PPP.

you can get your car ECU re-mapped and its untraceable
Completely incorrect. Any modifications to the ECU can be traced (even if the ECU is re-programmed back to standard).

PS I don’t want to be heard approaching from the next village.
Our silencers are E approved for noise emissions and are significantly louder than the standard item without being too intrusive.

Thanks, Nick.
Old 08 June 2004, 12:10 PM
Wuss
Scooby Regular

Cool

Phil,

I bought my UK MY00 in May 2000 and I was very happy with it until I took a MY00+PPP for a test drive! I had the PPP fitted in May 2002 and it was like buying a new car. If you want to keep the warranty there is no better upgrade. My essential purchases have been:

- PPP upgrade [make sure you run Optimax for about two or three tanks before sending the car for the PPP upgrade - you will hear differing opinions about Optimax on this site, but in the case of my car, if I run anything other than Optimax the engine sounds like a bag of spanners!]

- Prodrive quickshift - absolutely essential.

On top of that, I am now the proud owner of a set of 17" OZ P1 alloys. Try to ignore the bows and ribbons...!

Best of all, the car is now over four years old and is still covered by the Subaru warranty in case the gearbox / engine decide to go t!ts on me. When the present warranty runs out in May 2005, I will be able to extend for another year for about £200 odd quid as the car has only done 35K.

Go for the PPP and the quickshift, it's well worth it. If you shop around you will probably be able to get a great deal on what is now an 'old' package.

Oh, and the car sounds excellent.

Mark.
Old 08 June 2004, 12:40 PM
SteelX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Wuss
- Prodrive quickshift - absolutely essential.
Opps. Forgot about that - I have one - agree completely.

Magnex Back box pics...

Check out our site - www.scoobysmacs.co.uk as their are some videos on there where you can hear it for yourself.

hth

Steel
Old 08 June 2004, 01:02 PM
scoobymoo
Scooby Regular

Location: was the drivers seat of Richard Burns's P1 now in a boxster S
Smile

I effectively 'prodrived' my MY99 for £900 by buying a 2nd hand prodrive ecu from scoobynet and having samco intercooler hoses and a magnex backbox and decat centre fitted. As others have said transformed the car and mine was one of the good MY99 with the good ECU not the strangled MY00 ECU. Hasn't affected my warranty in the slightest as the dealer actually fitted the hoses and exhaust bits and I've had warranty work carried out since.
Old 08 June 2004, 01:16 PM
Wuss
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Scoobymoo,

I know what you mean about the strangled MY00 ECU. I honestly thought I was driving a new car away from the garage when I had the PPP and the quickshift fitted after two years of standard ownership. I really didn't expect there to be such a great improvement. Mind you, the top mechanic at the dealers had to do some warranty owrk on my gearbox which involved him taking it out for an extended test drive (he asked permission first!) and he said it is one of the best PPP upgrades he's driven... he's probably just telling me what I want to hear!!

Mark.

Last edited by Wuss; 08 June 2004 at 01:19 PM.
Old 08 June 2004, 01:21 PM
TheSilverScoob
Scooby Regular

How much would it cost for the PPP and do you buy it direct from prodrive or through a Subaru dealership?

Phill
Old 08 June 2004, 01:31 PM
SimonH
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Phill

Keep an eye out on the For Sale section. Not sure what the full PPP is from dealers (if you can still get it) but it was something mad like £1900! The ECUs appear on For Sale for about £300, the decat centre is the STi unit - post up in Wanted for one, can be had for about £20, the PPP backbox likewise can be had for £150 secondhand. The only other thing you need is the uprated intercooler hosing. The options here are the Samco set for £90 odd or look around for the STi one. This has a steel Y-piece pipe under the intercooler along with the uprated ancilliary pipes.

I did all this on my old MY00, through the For Sale section, for considerably less than the price of a new PPP through a dealer.

Well worth it - although on my car I found the AE801 ECU (standard MY99) was better than the PPP
Old 08 June 2004, 01:35 PM
Nick Wadeson
Scooby Regular

How much would it cost for the PPP and do you buy it direct from prodrive or through a Subaru dealership?
£1600.00 (including VAT & fitting), available through your dealer.

Thanks, Nick.
Old 08 June 2004, 03:34 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Nice to see the price has come down for MY99/00 - used to be £2000 inc VAT/fitting
Old 08 June 2004, 03:39 PM
TheSilverScoob
Scooby Regular

What sort of 0-60 times would you be looking at with a PPP on a MY00 (just trying to gauge improvement)?

Phill
Old 08 June 2004, 03:47 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

My MY99 PPP has done 13.5@97 1/4 mile

0-60 around 5.3secs, maybe a bit less if you're not nice the box...
Old 08 June 2004, 03:59 PM
scoobymoo
Scooby Regular

Location: was the drivers seat of Richard Burns's P1 now in a boxster S
Cool

I've timed mine (with a clutch sensitive start) at 5.1 to 60 and 13.5 to 100 which agrees well with times posted in magazines. If I really monstered the clutch (and didn't have the missus in the car operating the stopwatch) I reckon I could get it under 5. The mechanic at the dealership reckons its one of the best classics he's driven but he probably says that to everyone. Before the PPP the best figures I had achieved were 5.6 to 60 and 14.5 to 100.